• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burn Failure Code -108

GWG

Question

I received the following error message while attempting to burn a disc in Toast 9.02: "Could not record the disc because there was not enough memory. Result Code = -108." This was on an Intel Mini running 10.5.5 with 2 GB of memory. The drive is an OWC Mercury external with a Pioneer DVR-115D with firmware version 1.18 (the latest) connected directly via USB. The file was a 4.29 GB video file being burned to a DVD -R disc. This is an operation I've performed many times on this setup and suddenly it stops. None of my diagnostic programs point to a problem. Any thoughts?

2 answers to this question

That error appears when there is something wrong with the source video DVD or VIDEO_TS folder. If the source was a ripped commercial DVD it may simply be that it wasn't ripped with a full disc extraction. However, this also occurs when there is damage to a disc such as bad sectors in the media itself or a defect when the DVD was burned. I recently helped my brother try to recover a large number of his own-produced videos that he had burned to low-quality DVD media and saw that error a number of times.

Something to try is to use the Toast Media Browser to extract individual titles or chapters from the DVD by dragging them to the Video window with DVD video selected as the format. If Toast fails to extract a title then you know that one has problems.

You also could try opening the DVD in MPEG Streamclip and choose Convert to MPEG (this just extracts the video and doesn't re-encode it).

I just updated to Toast 9.0.4 and then used RipIt (a new video ripper) to rip a dvd. When I tried to put the video_ts folder into Toast, I got the Couldn't complete the last command because there was not enough memory. Result Code = -108

I then ripped another dvd using MTR and I was able to use Toast 9.0.4 to compress and save as a disk image.

But, I don't entirely blame RipIt because I was able to make a disk image of the first dvd using DVD2OneX2. So, why couldn't Toast do it?