• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Error With Data Dvds

danco34

Question

I have been trying to archive some data files onto DVD, using Toast 6.1.1, Mac OS 10.4.6, the drive being an internal Matshita UJ-845E. Every time (with different files) the burn appeared to go fine, but verification prduced an error at sector 130976 or 130992 (five disks, always an error at one of these two points).

I checked the disks by doing a Finder copy back to my hard drive, and sure enough one file on each disk would not copy.

I made a further data DVD burning from the Finder, and that went ok. So the problem does not seem to be with the drive itself. Has anyone come across this issue, and is there a solution if I want to use Toast?

2 answers to this question

The file burned but failed verification. This could be as simple as something changing in the file (modification date?) between the time it was burned and the time it was verified. It could be a different problem than this, but that's what I'd check into first.

I presume you've repaired permissions.

See my original post. Each of the disks I burned had one file that would not copy back to my hard drive, the Finder showing a read error. So definitely an actual fault in the burning, not a changed file. Also the failure was at the same (or a nearby) place on eah disk, which again indicates an actual problem.

The file burned but failed verification. This could be as simple as something changing in the file (modification date?) between the time it was burned and the time it was verified. If the file is in your System or Library that might be the explanation. A similar issue is when a folder is opened or closed in the Finder between the time it is burned and verified. The fact this happened repeatedly at approximately the same point suggests there is some automated process that is changing a specific file or adding a file to a folder (maybe a cache file?) contained in your backup set. It could be a different problem than this, but that's what I'd check into first.

I presume you've repaired permissions.

Archived