Video Data Rate - Only 1500 Kbs - What Gives

rissland

Question

I am copying a DVD folder to a WMV file on my hard drive and cannot seem to get the datarate above 1500kbs or below 1500KBS. I have a competitive program that I am considering which can record up to 2412kbs. Am I missing something?

When I look at the output of the 1500kbs wmv file, it is not very good quality, yes, smaller file size, but file size doesn't matter much anymore when a 200 gig disk is under 200 bucks and can store 100 two hour movies.

Let me know what I should look for, I am hoping that your software can provide this functionality as I am not too interested in spending more money for a smaller competitor's product to fill this gap.

Before I forget, it also does not appear to handle two pass encoding. I have it set for two pass, but, when encoding, it only shows phase 1 of 1 and you don't see the movie repeat.

9 answers to this question

I am copying a DVD folder to a WMV file on my hard drive and cannot seem to get the datarate above 1500kbs or below 1500KBS. I have a competitive program that I am considering which can record up to 2412kbs. Am I missing something?

When I look at the output of the 1500kbs wmv file, it is not very good quality, yes, smaller file size, but file size doesn't matter much anymore when a 200 gig disk is under 200 bucks and can store 100 two hour movies.

Let me know what I should look for, I am hoping that your software can provide this functionality as I am not too interested in spending more money for a smaller competitor's product to fill this gap.

Before I forget, it also does not appear to handle two pass encoding. I have it set for two pass, but, when encoding, it only shows phase 1 of 1 and you don't see the movie repeat.

First, you are not talking to Roxio, so the "your software" is incorrect. Where did you find the setting for two pass encoding?

At the bottom of the Disc Copier interface is a tiny Disc Size dropdown that lets you choose the output size (as long as you are Outputting to File and not Disc, and you have added at least one item to the Video Compliation). The dropdown has options from a 256MB Memory Card all the way up to a DVD+R Dual Layer (8.5GB).

It does seem however that despite how big of a size you select that Disc Copier will not render the movie above what it believes is the maximum quality. In other words if perfect quality is 3Mbps it will not go above 3Mbps. Most movies I set up max out at around half a DVD, or 2.25GB (2Mbps).

I myself am impressed with the quality and speed of Disc Copier renders, however continue to be plagued with file deletion and audio sync problems. I am relieved to know I'm not the only one experiencing rouge file deletion, but still obviously annoyed. Be sure to play your movie before archiving it and scan the last half of the movie for audio synchronization issues. One other quality enhancer I found is if I change my options to use the "Default" size as opposed to 640x480 it actually scales the movie bigger...to its native size. For instance widescreen movie widths may go higher than 640. Best of luck.

rissland - in general, WMV format was developed specifically for internet and intranet streaming. I think Videowave doesn't have any higher bitrates because it was aimed at that those users. Although WMV 'can' have higher bitrates, they just aren't supported.

What program within the EMC 8 suite, are you using?

I am using the Disc Copier application. My EMC8 build is 805b30b ENU.

I choose the source as a video compilation.

Pick the folder with my DVD information

Then pick the part of the movie I want to create a WMV from

Then choose the destination as WMV to the hard disk

No matter what you choose from the options for WMV, you always end up with a 1500kbs file. I did notice that two pass seems to work, it still shows phase 1 of 1 but when you get 50% complete, the movie starts over. Unfortunatly, when it says it is done, the WMV file seems to get deleted. At least that is what I observed the last time I tried it, I will try to replicate this.

Great interface, but my first impression is that testing was not complete.

I am using the Disc Copier application. My EMC8 build is 805b30b ENU.

I choose the source as a video compilation.

Pick the folder with my DVD information

Then pick the part of the movie I want to create a WMV from

Then choose the destination as WMV to the hard disk

No matter what you choose from the options for WMV, you always end up with a 1500kbs file. I did notice that two pass seems to work, it still shows phase 1 of 1 but when you get 50% complete, the movie starts over. Unfortunatly, when it says it is done, the WMV file seems to get deleted. At least that is what I observed the last time I tried it, I will try to replicate this.

Great interface, but my first impression is that testing was not complete.

Use VideoWave, you will get these options when you select Output As:

But that is as good as it is going to get! That is why WMV files are so small compared to other higher quality formats.

post-39-1145048797.jpg

First, you are not talking to Roxio, so the "your software" is incorrect. Where did you find the setting for two pass encoding?

When you click the options button, you get a small list of options for WMV encoding. In that window is a check box for two pass encoding.

Use VideoWave, you will get these options when you select Output As:

But that is as good as it is going to get! That is why WMV files are so small compared to other higher quality formats.

Well, I hate to disagree with you but, you can create a WMV file with a much higher bit rate. A competitive product, InterVideo DVDCopy 4, will do just that without a hitch. I would rather use this product as opposed to having to purchase another one just to get a higher quality conversion.

As for using Video Wave, I looked at it, and, it does not handle a folder full of DVD files. So, no go.

Why am I interested in using WMV as opposed to Divx you may ask? Simple, I have a Media Center PC with a couple of extenders and want to allow my kids to pick movies as opposed to handling DVD disks directly. Problem is, while you can play DVD folders and Divx files from an MCE computer, you cannot via an Extender.

Why do I want 2400bits as opposed 1500bits, quality. Disk space is not an issue. If you think about it, an external 200gig hard drive is around $170. Given that a 2 hour movie is about 2gigs, you could rip 100 movies onto that hard drive and could pack away your DVDs. If you convert them to WMV, so they will work over extenders, same space requirement but you don't get the DVD features. Ideally, I would like to rip my DVDs and have the extenders pick up on it just like the MCE computer does, that would be ideal.

Well, I hate to disagree with you but, you can create a WMV file with a much higher bit rate. A competitive product, InterVideo DVDCopy 4, will do just that without a hitch. I would rather use this product as opposed to having to purchase another one just to get a higher quality conversion.

As for using Video Wave, I looked at it, and, it does not handle a folder full of DVD files. So, no go.

Why am I interested in using WMV as opposed to Divx you may ask? Simple, I have a Media Center PC with a couple of extenders and want to allow my kids to pick movies as opposed to handling DVD disks directly. Problem is, while you can play DVD folders and Divx files from an MCE computer, you cannot via an Extender.

Why do I want 2400bits as opposed 1500bits, quality. Disk space is not an issue. If you think about it, an external 200gig hard drive is around $170. Given that a 2 hour movie is about 2gigs, you could rip 100 movies onto that hard drive and could pack away your DVDs. If you convert them to WMV, so they will work over extenders, same space requirement but you don't get the DVD features. Ideally, I would like to rip my DVDs and have the extenders pick up on it just like the MCE computer does, that would be ideal.

You are not disagreeing with me… If there isn't a choice that you like available to you, use whatever you want to get the job done.

I try to keep my video in AVI or mpeg @ 9mbps. I would not care to watch something encoded at 2.4mbps.

Do a little shopping, you should be able to beat those HD prices is you look around.

Archived