Watch Tray

M Greene

Question

I have EMC 10 Suite Version 1.0.044.

I have disabled Roxio Watch Tray in Media Manager.

However, whenever I boot the computer (Windows XP) and run the task manager, it shows RoxWatchTray10 as a running process, robbing my system of 13,208 K.

How do I prevent this?

Why isn't this information in Help or in the program manual?

Go to Start,Run and when the box comes up type in msconfig and hit enter.

Now go to the Startup tab and look for RoxWatchTray and uncheck it.

After your computer reboots just put a check next to "Don't show this again" when the reminder box pops up.

Microsoft warns against disabling a running process by use of msconfig. That process is meant only to be used as an interim device so that tests, diagnoses etc. can be made. It is not intended to be the method of removal of a process, and doing so can cause a host of problems, among them memory leaks and even crashes. Microsoft tells us that the correct way of removing a process is by use of the program which created or installed it, in this case Roxio.

Can anyone else advise how this annoying, resource robbing process can be removed?

Go to Start,Run and when the box comes up type in msconfig and hit enter.

Now go to the Startup tab and look for RoxWatchTray and uncheck it.

After your computer reboots just put a check next to "Don't show this again" when the reminder box pops up.

Microsoft warns against disabling a running process by use of msconfig. That process is meant only to be used as an interim device so that tests, diagnoses etc. can be made. It is not intended to be the method of removal of a process, and doing so can cause a host of problems, among them memory leaks and even crashes. Microsoft tells us that the correct way of removing a process is by use of the program which created or installed it, in this case Roxio.

Can anyone else advise how this annoying, resource robbing process can be removed?

You are NOT removing it, just from when the computer starts up.

Go here for more info http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

I have disabled things, through msconfig, and have never had a problem.

You can go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services, and stop it from running and set it to manual. It's listed as Roxio Hard Drive Watcher.

BTW, if you are going to quote MS, you should state that you did so.

Edited by grandpabruce

MS have been known to say a lot of things - including 'IE7 is a critical update' (so critical that they actually relesed a small file to STOP it being installed automatically ;)

If you want a way to stop RoxWatch without using msconfig, get a copy of Ashampoo WinOptimizer and run that - it will do exactly the same thing without the 'nag' screen coming up at reboot.

A pricy way to get round it when msconfig will do exactly the same thing, albeit moan about it being done

Microsoft warns against disabling a running process by use of msconfig.

If you need more logic.

After you use msconfig, you will be asked to reboot to complete the changes. When you do, the process will no longer be started automatically ! :rolleyes:

But you will have already caused the program to not autostart so it will not be in the running processes window. You will never use the disable a running process button.

Think about it !

Edited by sknis

Digital Guru:

Thank you (and the others) for your reply.

I did not "quote MS", as you say. I summarized from my recollection of information on their website, which I read some time ago. I did not go to the trouble of looking up their lengthy data one more time and then quoting the exact wording, which is to the same effect as what I wrote. Exact quotation would only be waste of time since I recall their advice most clearly.

Their advice is not to use msconfig in the present situation, for reasons which I gave. Conflicts can arise, so they say, even though the entire process is not disabled. Moreover, memory leaks can occur. I suppose the entire way Roxio is set up would determine whether these are risks insofar as Roxio Watch Tray is concerned. Only Roxio and their programmers know for sure. I certainly do not know, and I suspect that you do not, either, unless you have very sophisticated knowledge about Roxio programming.

Media Manager leads us to believe that by unchecking we prevent the process from running in the background. I certainly believed so after unchecking, only to be surprised that they were fooling me when I checked processes in Task Manager.

Roxio has done us no favors by automatically running the process after we disable it, as I have done, in Media Manager, according to their directions.

I have disabled things, through msconfig, and have never had a problem.

You can go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services, and stop it from running and set it to manual. It's listed as Roxio Hard Drive Watcher.

BTW, if you are going to quote MS, you should state that you did so.

Digital Guru:

Thank you (and the others) for your reply.

I did not "quote MS", as you say. I summarized from my recollection of information on their website, which I read some time ago. I did not go to the trouble of looking up their lengthy data one more time and then quoting the exact wording, which is to the same effect as what I wrote. Exact quotation would only be waste of time since I recall their advice most clearly.

Their advice is not to use msconfig in the present situation, for reasons which I gave. Conflicts can arise, so they say, even though the entire process is not disabled. Moreover, memory leaks can occur. I suppose the entire way Roxio is set up would determine whether these are risks insofar as Roxio Watch Tray is concerned. Only Roxio and their programmers know for sure. I certainly do not know, and I suspect that you do not, either, unless you have very sophisticated knowledge about Roxio programming.

Media Manager leads us to believe that by unchecking we prevent the process from running in the background. I certainly believed so after unchecking, only to be surprised that they were fooling me when I checked processes in Task Manager.

Roxio has done us no favors by automatically running the process after we disable it, as I have done, in Media Manager, according to their directions.

Go through the Administrative Tools process. They won't run until you want them to.

I'd have to agree with Steve.By using msconfig you're not stopping a running process.You're only telling the machine not to start that process at startup.

If you use msconfig it doesn't do anything until you reboot,then it just stops the process from running in the first place.

RoxWatchTray10 is still showing in Task Manager as a running process, consuming 13,200 bytes, even after I followed your advice to go to Administrative Tools/Services.

Do we know for a fact that Roxio provides no menhod for uninstalling or disabling Watch Tray? It seems pretty negligent to me if they do not.

Go through the Administrative Tools process. They won't run until you want them to.

I can't remember if it's the same in v10 as in C2009 but if you right click the icon on your task bar and the menu comes up hit monitor settings(if it's there).

Once the box comes up uncheck Start Folder Monitoring and also Monitor folders at Startup.Reboot and see what happens.

You may get different wording in v10,like I said I can't remember,but you should be able to find something.

If this doesn't work then I still say to use msconfig.

I've used it in every version since the Monitor became available and have had no problem yet.

If it was a no-no then why would MS even allow the user the option to use it.

My taskbar has not contained any Roxio icon since I disabled Watch Tray (or so I thought) in Media Services.

I was thus surprised that it still shows as a running process in Task Manager.

A demand that Roxio remedy this problem is needed. They fraudulently lull the user into thinking that Media Manager stops the process from running. In truth it only causes the icon to disappear from the system tray.

In answer to your question about why Microsoft grants the option to use Msconfig, I have found that Msconfig's purpose is to TEMPORARILY stop processes from running while trying to make adjustments which are or may be interfered with while certain other processes are running or changes are made. They are strong in their recommendation that Msconfig not be used for permanently disabling anything. They state, and very persuasively so in my opinion, that the program which installs and runs the process should provide a way of stopping it or removing it. Nothing could make better sense.

But Roxio seems to think it knows better.

I can't remember if it's the same in v10 as in C2009 but if you right click the icon on your task bar and the menu comes up hit monitor settings(if it's there).

Once the box comes up uncheck Start Folder Monitoring and also Monitor folders at Startup.Reboot and see what happens.

You may get different wording in v10,like I said I can't remember,but you should be able to find something.

If this doesn't work then I still say to use msconfig.

I've used it in every version since the Monitor became available and have had no problem yet.

If it was a no-no then why would MS even allow the user the option to use it.

My taskbar has not contained any Roxio icon since I disabled Watch Tray (or so I thought) in Media Services.

A demand that Roxio remedy this problem is needed. They fraudulently lull the user into thinking that Media Manager stops the process from running. In truth it only causes the icon to disappear from the system tray.

In answer to your question about why Microsoft grants the option to use Msconfig, I have found that Msconfig's purpose is to TEMPORARILY stop processes from running while trying to make adjustments which are or may be interfered with while certain other processes are running or changes are made. They are strong in their recommendation that Msconfig not be used for permanently disabling anything. They state, and very persuasively so in my opinion, that the program which installs and runs the process should provide a way of stopping it or removing it. Nothing could make better sense.

Actually, almost every d-amned software program that I have installed, has a process running in the taskbar, until I keep it from running at startup by killing it in, in the Startup portion of msconfig.

I can see where stopping items, in the Processes tab may be for temporarily stopping processes, but it makes no sense that that would apply to startup items.

Your statement about Roxio fraudulently lulling the user..., is a bit much. Tell them, directly, if you feel so strongly about it.

Did you reboot after disabling WatchTray in Media Services?

M Greene,

You've had the advice of more Gurus than most people see, and they are all pointing you in the same direction.

Now, if you choose to ignore their advice and go in the opposite direction that's up to you. There's no compulsion here. HOWEVER if you find a better answer in the opposite direction, please do come back here and let them know what it was.

Thank you very much,

Brendon

Thank all of you who replied.

I am very appreciative of your best efforts to find a solution within Roxio of the situation it deliberately created. It is too bad, but the answer appears to be that Roxio simply does not want to permit disabling the resource gulping Watch Tray. I suspect that competitiveness is at the root of the evil.

But that is certainly not the fault of any of you, who have been most courteous, cooperative, and helpful as possible.

Again, my sincere thanks and appreciation.

I am very appreciative of your best efforts to find a solution within Roxio of the situation it deliberately created. It is too bad, but the answer appears to be that Roxio simply does not want to permit disabling the resource gulping Watch Tray. I suspect that competitiveness is at the root of the evil.

But that is certainly not the fault of any of you, who have been most courteous, cooperative, and helpful as possible.

I have WatchTray as well as other services disabled and it is very easy to do. It never appears after a reboot so your claim "that Roxio simply does not want to permit disabling the resource gulping Watch Tray" is false.

I get it! It was Roxio on the grassy knoll… :lol:

But my WatchTray is turned off and never comes back.

But you had to resort to the operating system to accomplish this, rather than the much better method of doing so within the Roxio software itself. Roxio deliberately forced you (and me) into that position when it could have provided an honest, safer, and more efficient method than the Media Manager checkbox.

I came to this forum hoping that someone very familiar with Roxio software could help me find a better method within Roxio. Obviously there is no such method within Roxio. I appreciate the time that all of you took.

I have WatchTray as well as other services disabled and it is very easy to do. It never appears after a reboot so your claim "that Roxio simply does not want to permit disabling the resource gulping Watch Tray" is false.

I second this observation. Disabled services never reappear after reboot.

But you had to resort to the operating system to accomplish this, rather than the much better method of doing so within the Roxio software itself. Roxio deliberately forced you (and me) into that position when it could have provided an honest, safer, and more efficient method than the Media Manager checkbox.

I came to this forum hoping that someone very familiar with Roxio software could help me find a better method within Roxio. Obviously there is no such method within Roxio. I appreciate the time that all of you took.

So what if I have to use msconfig, that is what it is there for. There are all sorts of programs that are disabled that way, Roxio is not the only one.

For me, I didn't use either the msconfig or the services route to keep the RoxWatch from running (although those methods will work as has been noted). I used the application.

Go to Start -> Programs -> Roxio EMc 10 -> Media Manager

In Media Manager, go to Tools -> Select Watched Folders...

In the Watched Folders Settings window

1. Uncheck Start Folder Watching

2. Uncheck Watch Folders at Startup

3. Click on the Clear All button

4. Click on the OK button

That's all I did after installing v10 and it worked for me.

post-71-1225330559.png

Edited by Larry

Thank you, Larry.

You are the only one here who tried to solve the problem through the program, and I appreciate your help.

I had not previously checked "Clear All" or "Show Notifications on Startup" or "Filter Small Files". I now did just what you have done, clicked OK and rebooted.

Well, some improvements were made. However, Task Manager still shows RoxWatchTray10 running at 13408 K.

But the following programs which were previously running are no longer there. They were:

RoxMediaDB10. exe 11120 K

RoxWatch10.exe 8288 K

Thus I saved 19408 K in unwanted and unnecessary running processes because of your help.

I am puzzled, however, that following your instructions still does not avoid the unnecessary process of RoxWatchTray10. Maybe it was because I had previously used Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services as one person here recommended. But that does not entirely make sense.

Again, my thanks.

For me, I didn't use either the msconfig or the services route to keep the RoxWatch from running (although those methods will work as has been noted). I used the application.

Go to Start -> Programs -> Roxio EMc 10 -> Media Manager

In Media Manager, go to Tools -> Select Watched Folders...

In the Watched Folders Settings window

1. Uncheck Start Folder Watching

2. Uncheck Watch Folders at Startup

3. Click on the Clear All button

4. Click on the OK button

That's all I did after installing v10 and it worked for me.