• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc 8 Problems Installing And Registering (2 Issues)

stgstuart

Question

Hi all,

We are having 2 different issues with Roxio's EMC 8 software. First, we are a major corporation, and most users have very limited access. We lock it down.

I though have administrator access on the Win XP Pro machine that I am installing this on. We are not allowed to touch the "local Administrator" account though. They change the name of it, and no one knows what the generated passwords are.

When we install even as an administrator (not "the") we get an "error" : "You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this installation for all users of the machine. Log on as administrator and then retry this installation."

What do we need to do to install this, without being "the" administrator.

On another machine, we played with it and changed the administrator name and password (going to get in trouble for it though). So that is not an option. However, now we can not register it online. What can we do?

Thanks,

Steven Stuart

3 answers to this question

I am having the same problems as stgstuart. Our company does not allow the local administrator account to be named "Administrator", but I have an AD account that gives me local administrator privileges (the AD group is member of the local administrator group).

For some reason, the installprogram does not check to see if you actually have administrator rights, it just checks the name of the account you are logged on with. If the name isn't "Administrator" it assumes you don't have rights and you are refused to install the program.

This looks very much like poor programming to me, and it is making installing the MyDVD program very difficult as I have to make a new local account, name it Administrator and use that to install the program. Afterwards I have to delete the account. Doing this violates the IT-rules of my company.

Isn't it possible to make the installationprocess a little bit easier than this???

Hi all,

We are having 2 different issues with Roxio's EMC 8 software. First, we are a major corporation, and most users have very limited access. We lock it down.

I though have administrator access on the Win XP Pro machine that I am installing this on. We are not allowed to touch the "local Administrator" account though. They change the name of it, and no one knows what the generated passwords are.

When we install even as an administrator (not "the") we get an "error" : "You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this installation for all users of the machine. Log on as administrator and then retry this installation."

What do we need to do to install this, without being "the" administrator.

On another machine, we played with it and changed the administrator name and password (going to get in trouble for it though). So that is not an option. However, now we can not register it online. What can we do?

Thanks,

Steven Stuart

Hi Stuart,

There are two answers here ...

1. you cannot install it remotely or via a CD unless you are the local Administrator on that PC, as the Group policies are enforced buy the AD or DC (domain controller server or the Active directory node) so that will stop what you want to do, but if you can get it installed in an admin mode on that PC, you can get it to run of sorts on that PC after it is back to a normal user account (but it does put up a few errors, but if you click past that it does work)

The reasion the software requires admin access is that it installs services and system components, and it also requires full access to the registry hive, and these are locked in user mode....

Service shown below

2. now on the registering side, I'm afraid this falls to the IT team, as I'm sure they have firewalls and proxy gateways on your network, and if they have these locked down then the Program will not be able to seek the Internet directly, you may be better asking the team to do this for you via them logging in , installing, and registering it, then you can login as a client user on the box and use it that way..

hope this is clear as mud... :)

Archived