kennym

Popcorn 3 Doesn't Work On My New Aluminium Macbook

Question

I've used Popcorn 1 for a while and after trying it on my new aluminium MacBook last week I found it didn't work. I paid £34.99 to upgrade to Popcorn 3 and yet it still doesn't work. The software can compress my video_ts file but then hangs when it is unable to locate the DVD drive. I think this might be because the DVD drive in the new MacBooks is an SATA drive but I'm not sure. Roxio technical help doesn't seem to be able to help me, I'm sure they're not even reading the text in my help ticket. I've requested a refund but now the support team have gone quiet on me and the link in the FAQ regarding how to obtain a refund "www.findmyorder.com" is not valid.

Has anyone else experienced DVD burning issues with the new MacBooks? And can anyone tell me how to get a refund? I'm not about to pay £35 for a product which doesn't work...

This is a pretty poor show, I will refer this to Trading Standards in the UK if I don't get it either resolved or a refund.

Thanks!

I don't know if there is a compatibility problem with Popcorn 3.0.2 (make sure that's your version) and the new MacBooks. However, in the meanwhile try this: choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. When that is done try burning the disc image using the Image File setting in Popcorn. If that doesn't work try changing the extension of the disc image from .toast to .dmg and burn using Disk Utility. See if that works.

I've tried burning the disk image from Popcorn but it doesn't work either, Popcorn just can't seem to find the drive. I can burn the image using Disk Utility however but it sort of defeats the purpose of buying Popcorn 3 when I can do the same thing in Popcorn 1... I think I'll opt for the refund until they can get this sorted out. Thanks for your help – it was certainly much more helpful than Roxio support!

Same problem here. Just got the support email asking me to make sure everything is updated, clearly a form letter. Replied back, will see what happens.

Same problem here. Just got the support email asking me to make sure everything is updated, clearly a form letter. Replied back, will see what happens.

There's a similar thread here in the Toast 8 forum.

I've used Popcorn 1 for a while and after trying it on my new aluminium MacBook last week I found it didn't work. I paid £34.99 to upgrade to Popcorn 3 and yet it still doesn't work. The software can compress my video_ts file but then hangs when it is unable to locate the DVD drive. I think this might be because the DVD drive in the new MacBooks is an SATA drive but I'm not sure. Roxio technical help doesn't seem to be able to help me, I'm sure they're not even reading the text in my help ticket. I've requested a refund but now the support team have gone quiet on me and the link in the FAQ regarding how to obtain a refund "www.findmyorder.com" is not valid.

Has anyone else experienced DVD burning issues with the new MacBooks? And can anyone tell me how to get a refund? I'm not about to pay £35 for a product which doesn't work...

This is a pretty poor show, I will refer this to Trading Standards in the UK if I don't get it either resolved or a refund.

Thanks!

We're investigating this issue with both Popcorn 3 and Toast 8. I hope to be able to provide further information once we have more details.

We're investigating this issue with both Popcorn 3 and Toast 8. I hope to be able to provide further information once we have more details.

Been working with Roxio tech support for 3 days. So far just busy work... no real progress besides basic trouble shooting. I did download a trial version of a competing product that works juts fine which, along with similar problems reported for Toast, that the problem is with the Roxio code. I have been using popcorn through several versions and a few years now and really want to stay, I hope they get it fixed quickly.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem with popcorn 3 and a brand new (one week old) mac book pro. It says "unknown bus" like it can't locate the DVD drive. Works with DVD + R but not DVD - R, even though other programs will work with those discs. I'd like to know if there is a solution to this.

Same situation here, MBP only a week old, just installed updated version of Popcorn 3 and get frozen at "preparing". Will be watching for solutions, but my guess the software is destined to be returned. Not what I had been expecting or instructed.

Same situation here, MBP only a week old, just installed updated version of Popcorn 3 and get frozen at "preparing". Will be watching for solutions, but my guess the software is destined to be returned. Not what I had been expecting or instructed.

I have not seen this issue appear as a topic in the Toast 9 forum and Toast 9 does everything Popcorn 3 does and much more. There often are some very good online sales for Toast 9, including ones by Roxio.

My hope is Roxio will release an update to Popcorn 3 and Toast 8 addressing this issue, but....

I am using Popcorn 3.0.2 on a Late 2008 Macbook Pro OS X version 10.5.5. The drive is a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868. All OS X updates are complete. I have verified that my drive can burn DVD+R DL, and every few discs, on and off, this error dialogue box pops up yielding an unusable disc:

The drive reported an error.

Sense key = hardware error

Sense code = 0x09

Track following error.

I am using premium quality Verbatim DVD+R DL, so media is not the issue, and again, the drive has tested successfully to burn DL DVDs. Additionally, the video TS folders I am burning successfully write when I retry every few days... This leads me to believe it is a software issue. I have tried reloading the software as well, and this does not seem to help. This error message has rendered 20+ discs unusable, so understandably, it is getting costly to run the program.

To top it off, Roxio customer support has done nothing to service my web ticket regarding the issue. Please please help! Thanks!

I am using Popcorn 3.0.2 on a Late 2008 Macbook Pro OS X version 10.5.5. The drive is a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868. All OS X updates are complete. I have verified that my drive can burn DVD+R DL, and every few discs, on and off, this error dialogue box pops up yielding an unusable disc:

The drive reported an error.

Sense key = hardware error

Sense code = 0x09

Track following error.

I am using premium quality Verbatim DVD+R DL, so media is not the issue, and again, the drive has tested successfully to burn DL DVDs. Additionally, the video TS folders I am burning successfully write when I retry every few days... This leads me to believe it is a software issue. I have tried reloading the software as well, and this does not seem to help. This error message has rendered 20+ discs unusable, so understandably, it is getting costly to run the program.

To top it off, Roxio customer support has done nothing to service my web ticket regarding the issue. Please please help! Thanks!

You've read through this thread so you know that Popcorn 3 isn't working properly with the new series of MacBooks and MacBook Pros. If you can successfully Save as Disc Image using Popcorn I believe you can change the .toast image file to .dmg and burn the disc using Disk Utility.

I've used Popcorn 1 for a while and after trying it on my new aluminium MacBook last week I found it didn't work. I paid £34.99 to upgrade to Popcorn 3 and yet it still doesn't work. The software can compress my video_ts file but then hangs

Yes. Same problem here.

Yes. Same problem here.

Here also. Sounds like calling Roxio tech support is just an exercise in self-abuse at $1.83/minute, so I'll pass.

After being a loyal Toast customer for years, I think my brand loyalty has been stretched past the breaking point. Anybody have any experience with the other disc-burning programs out there?

hey all ... i had the same problem and it appears to be some incompatibility with the matshita drive in the new macbook pro. as usual .... the apple OS is flawless and does just what it's supposed to ... it's always the 3rd party internal components that EFFup. i have an external lacie dvd burner and popcorn burned to it with no problem. at some point i'll do the research on the matshita drive to see if there is a firmware update that will help this issue ... but if someone beats me to it....please post the solution here. thanks!

Hi. I just joined and am new to this. I have tried both Popcorn 3 and Toast 8 and neither seems to work with my brand new macbook either. Let me know if you find anything out about the firmware update with the matsushita dvd burner.

Peace

Hi everyone,

This is my first time using Roxio support website in the 3+ years I've been using Popcorn, and just to say:

I'm having exactly the same problem (still using version 2, but problem is IDENTICAL). I would pay to upgrade to 3 if it fixed the problem, but it appears that it doesn't. I hope Roxio is reading this thread and working on a free fix for version 3 users!

Otherwise I'll not offer any more of my cash.

Thanks for posting, everyone, I learned a lot here.

Hi everyone,

This is my first time using Roxio support website in the 3+ years I've been using Popcorn, and just to say:

I'm having exactly the same problem (still using version 2, but problem is IDENTICAL). I would pay to upgrade to 3 if it fixed the problem, but it appears that it doesn't. I hope Roxio is reading this thread and working on a free fix for version 3 users!

Otherwise I'll not offer any more of my cash.

Thanks for posting, everyone, I learned a lot here.

This is what's changed in Popcorn 3.0.3:

"Resolves compatibility issues with newer MacBook and MacBook Pro models"

Are you using one of those Macs? If so you need to upgrade. Roxio has a 30-day refund policy on software it sells as a download so if it doesn't solve your problem you can get your money back.