Verification Fails

captincl

Question

hi,

I've recently started running into "Verification Failed" errors every time I try to make a copy of a DVD. I make my original DVDs in DVD Studio Pro, then burn copies using Toast 6 Titanium. I've been doing this for a couple of years and it worked great. Now, when I verify my DVDs I get an error saying "Mismatch at byte ####/sector ######. Verification failed." This happens on all DVDs I try to copy. Even DVDs I made copies from in the past with no problem don't pass verification anymore.

As far as I know, no software has been updated nor has anything been added or changed in the computer to cause this problem. I am using the same DVD media that I did in the past. (Verbatim 4.7GB DVDs) I am running Toast 6.1.1 Titanium on a 733MHz Quicksilver G4.

Just as a side note: I tried burning a copy of the same DVD on a friend's dual 2.5 GHz G5 running the same software, and the DVD past verification just fine.

Does anyone know of something that would suddenly cause this problem? I haven't checked the DVD's that failed verification for issues. Maybe there are none and this isn't a very serious problem??

Thanks for your thought/ideas! :D

Christopher

5 answers to this question

One possibility is the DVD drive is nearing the end of its life. If you have a friend who has an external DVD drive borrow it to see if a different burner makes a difference. You also might use a laser-cleaning disc to see if that may make a difference. None of this may be pertinent but they are something to check into.

The problem only seems to happen with DVDs. I copied a CD today and verification worked fine.

I don't have access to an external DVD drive, but I will try the laser-cleaning disc. The DVD drive is about 4-5 years old. I suppose it could be dying.

Thanks!

A different laser is used for burning CDs than the one for burning DVDs, so it still could be a drive issue although I'm just guessing.

Well I tried the cleaner disc, with no luck. I also tried burning a DVD via Burn folder in the OS and that also failed verification. I think I can conclude its a dying DVD burner and not a software issue. I think I'll go looking for a new drive.

Thanks for your help!

Christopher