Why Is "encoding" Taking So Long?

nickesser

Question

I am sitting here while MyDVD8 is working on "encoding" a movie, prior to burning. There are two 90 minute videos captured from VHS at 740x480, 5 Mbps, plus one simple non-motion menu with a short sound track. I'm trying to burn them to a DVD-DL. I also checked "create iso file." It has now been working on the first video for about 4 hours and is only 80%+ through. At this rate, it will be morning before it is finished, if it doesn't crash in the meantime. This is ridiculous!

I did not edit the files in EMC8, and I set the project parameters to the same as the source video file, with the exception of the audio - which I wanted transcoded from the captured PCM format to Dolby Digital. I thought it should basically only need to copy the video portion of the file. I have an old version (5) of MyDVD which would take only about 15 minutes to transcode the audio for a file of this length, then it was good to go.

What's going on? How do I prevent this in the future? I don't need or want these videos re-rendered, as it will adversely affect the marginal quality I have now!

10 answers to this question

I am sitting here while MyDVD8 is working on "encoding" a movie, prior to burning. There are two 90 minute videos captured from VHS at 740x480, 5 Mbps, plus one simple non-motion menu with a short sound track. I'm trying to burn them to a DVD-DL. I also checked "create iso file." It has now been working on the first video for about 4 hours and is only 80%+ through. At this rate, it will be morning before it is finished, if it doesn't crash in the meantime. This is ridiculous!

I did not edit the files in EMC8, and I set the project parameters to the same as the source video file, with the exception of the audio - which I wanted transcoded from the captured PCM format to Dolby Digital. I thought it should basically only need to copy the video portion of the file. I have an old version (5) of MyDVD which would take only about 15 minutes to transcode the audio for a file of this length, then it was good to go.

What's going on? How do I prevent this in the future? I don't need or want these videos re-rendered, as it will adversely affect the marginal quality I have now!

And your processor size is? Encoding is CPU intensive.

'Smart Rendering' in MyDVD is quite tricky. You have the right idea by not editing. You will know that smart render is working when you see a grey still image with the work MPEG in the render preview window. If you see your video, then smart render is not working and the video is being re-rendered.

'Smart Rendering' in MyDVD is quite tricky. You have the right idea by not editing. You will know that smart render is working when you see a grey still image with the work MPEG in the render preview window. If you see your video, then smart render is not working and the video is being re-rendered.

Unfortunately, I was seeing slow-motion video in the render preview window, so as I suspected the video was being re-rendered. And I'm not pleased with the quality of the result. It's very grainy in comparison with the original mpg, as I feared.

If it's "quite tricky," are there any "tricks" I can use to insure (or at least increase my chances) that Smart Rendering gets used? In order to get exactly 5 Mbps, I had to put the cursor in the speed display and type it in; the slider's granularity only gave me 4.8 and 5.2, and the +/- icons jumped in .05 increments.

Would anything I put in the menu have had an effect? I didn't like any of the EMC8 menus, nor the inability to make greyed-out additions/substitutions/adjustments, so I used a menu created in EMC7, which then allowed me (in EMC8) to put thumbnails from each video in the picture-frame buttons.

Why are you trying to use the 5Mbps quality? Why did you capture at that low setting? if you still have the source, capture as an avi if you capture device can do it and you have the heard drive space.

If you still have EMC 7 on your computer and like the transitions and menu, why don't you use that. Several people have indicated that they prefer V7 for video; other see no difference.

If you have two 90 minute videoa, they will be reencoded to fir on the disc. You can only get about 2 hours at best quality on a DL disc.

Unfortunately, I was seeing slow-motion video in the render preview window, so as I suspected the video was being re-rendered. And I'm not pleased with the quality of the result. It's very grainy in comparison with the original mpg, as I feared.

If it's "quite tricky," are there any "tricks" I can use to insure (or at least increase my chances) that Smart Rendering gets used? In order to get exactly 5 Mbps, I had to put the cursor in the speed display and type it in; the slider's granularity only gave me 4.8 and 5.2, and the +/- icons jumped in .05 increments.

Would anything I put in the menu have had an effect? I didn't like any of the EMC8 menus, nor the inability to make greyed-out additions/substitutions/adjustments, so I used a menu created in EMC7, which then allowed me (in EMC8) to put thumbnails from each video in the picture-frame buttons.

And your processor size is? Encoding is CPU intensive.

Processor specs are not the issue here. I would fully expect that rendering the video would be a relatively slow process. My issue is that it was being rendered at all. In previous posts I had read that matching the video parameters in the Project Settings dialog box would prevent this. It didn't.

Any suggestions for other things to try to *prevent* re-rendering would be appreciated.

Why are you trying to use the 5Mbps quality? Why did you capture at that low setting? if you still have the source, capture as an avi if you capture device can do it and you have the heard drive space.

If you still have EMC 7 on your computer and like the transitions and menu, why don't you use that. Several people have indicated that they prefer V7 for video; other see no difference.

If you have two 90 minute videoa, they will be reencoded to fir on the disc. You can only get about 2 hours at best quality on a DL disc.

In several on-line forums (in addition to the Help in MyDVD5 which was used to do the capture), it was suggested that 5Mbps was appropriate for converting VHS video; that higher encoding rates were not only overkill, but could produce artifacts by overdigitizing relative to the source material's relatively poor native video quality. Also, as your last comment notes, I wouldn't be able to fit the results even on a DL disc with much higher of a rate. (BTW, my MyDVD5 doesn't support DL DVDs, or I could have stayed with that.)

I wish I could use EMC7, but my copy is an OEM I got with my DVD burner - it doesn't even give you the option to select an encoding rate; it up-encodes everything to 9Mbps, and doesn't support Dolby Digital either. That's why I upgraded to EMC8.

After selecting the 5Mbps rate in the Project Settings, the "thermometer" at the bottom of the screen estimates that there is now ample space, as opposed to the red "over the limit" displayed previously. Also, I didn't check "Fit to DVD," I selected a specific "Custom" data rate.

I could be how the original MPEG was encoded. How are the original MPEGs being created? Here is what I have done that works:

I use a Liteon stand alone recorder.

Use TMPGEnc MPEG to capture/make cuts. This copies from the DVD to a single MPEG2 file.

I then place that file in MyDVD 8

Edit menus and burn to video folder.

I do not change anything in MyDVD projects. Just defaults. In the 2hour mode, the Liteon uses 4560Kbps with MPEG audio. MyDVD does not re-render the video, but does transcode the audio to AC3 2 channel.

As a test, I did try the 3 hour mode on a 4.7 disc. MyDVD handled that just as well. Don't recall right off what the bitrate was.

I think some of the poor quality issues could be related to codec issues. I have installed 7 different applications that install their own copy of the MPEG codec. I'm surprised that I don't have issues. Each codec has a 'merit' value in the registry that tells Windows which codec to use. How this works within an application, I'm not sure. I installed some shareware codecs once and that really messed up my video editors. I ended up having to reinstall Windows to fix it.

I could be how the original MPEG was encoded. How are the original MPEGs being created? Here is what I have done that works:

I do not change anything in MyDVD projects. Just defaults. In the 2hour mode, the Liteon uses 4560Kbps with MPEG audio. MyDVD does not re-render the video, but does transcode the audio to AC3 2 channel.

As a test, I did try the 3 hour mode on a 4.7 disc. MyDVD handled that just as well. Don't recall right off what the bitrate was.

I think some of the poor quality issues could be related to codec issues. I have installed 7 different applications that install their own copy of the MPEG codec. I'm surprised that I don't have issues. Each codec has a 'merit' value in the registry that tells Windows which codec to use. How this works within an application, I'm not sure. I installed some shareware codecs once and that really messed up my video editors. I ended up having to reinstall Windows to fix it.

The original video capture was done with Adaptec's VideOh DVD USB2.0 Edition (ACV-2210) which only works with the included MyDVD 5.2. I chose the "Better" Record Setting, and here's where things get a bit cloudy regarding bit-rate. Adaptec's site says this records at 5.5, but I believe it was VideoReDoPlus that said it was 5. The audio was captured as straight 48000/16bit/stereo PCM. I cleaned up the files (had to lip-sync the audio to the video) with VideoReDoPlus, which also cleaned up some video time-code anomalies, so I'm reasonably sure the result is completely DVD compliant, whatever the correct CBR is. So, it could be that I haven't set the rate spot-on in the Project Settings. Assuming that is the case, is there a reliable application/tool that will display the exact CBR rate in an MPEG2 file? That would save a lot of trial and error if that is indeed the problem.

In my research I was given to understand that *any* re-rendering would result in poorer video quality - even if at the same rate - even with a "good" codec; I thought that's why people used frame-level editing tools like VRDP or the editor you mentioned, so no re-rendering would be necessary. Have you ever tried re-rendering, and did you like the results? There are several apps that can simply play DVD's or MPGs on my system, in addition to any from Sonic/Roxio, so there could potentially be more than a few codecs. How does one display these, or determine the 'merit' value for them in the Registry?

If I can't get past this roadblock, I'm going to have to return EMC8 and look elsewhere.

I use GSpot to see what the bitrate of a video file. It's freebie and it also lists the codec with its name, registry ID, actual file name and merit value. I did find an another app hat changed the merit values, but not a good idea. Could really mess up things.

I would never re-render an MPEG unless I had no other choice. When I capture from my camcorder, I strictly use DV AVI ONLY.

Processor specs are not the issue here. I would fully expect that rendering the video would be a relatively slow process. My issue is that it was being rendered at all. In previous posts I had read that matching the video parameters in the Project Settings dialog box would prevent this. It didn't.

Any suggestions for other things to try to *prevent* re-rendering would be appreciated.

The title of your thread begs the question I asked. When you ask why it is so slow, it most definitely is a processor issue.

Archived