srschacher

Where Can I Find Backup Mypc?

Question

Is BackOnTrack an updated BackupMyPC or is it something else?

I've been using BUMP since version 5 (I currently have version 6).

I just bought a new Windows Vista notebook computer and am looking for a current version of BUMP. I tried loading v6 on my notebook but I got an installation package error about a missing .msi file. Where can I find a current version? Which product bundle from Roxio contains BUMP?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

10 answers to this question

BUMP and BOT have nothing in common beyond both being backup programs Sonic bought.

Before WinXP a backup program was needed because there wasn't any in Windows, but WinxP had a system restore function built in, and I would assume so would Vista.

Lynn

BUMP and BOT have nothing in common beyond both being backup programs Sonic bought.

Before WinXP a backup program was needed because there wasn't any in Windows, but WinxP had a system restore function built in, and I would assume so would Vista.

Lynn

Thanks. I'll try another forum.

Steve

Lynn

So, is BOT a replacement for BUMP and perform the same file backup function?

Gumboman

Different thing entirely - check here

http://www.roxio.com/eng/products/backontr...e/overview.html

I've checked there and they do NOT outline what the difference in the products are! Did they just drop the Backup MyPC product without a viable replacement or not. Just pointing to the page description of BOT does not answer the question. What is do I lose in my use of BUMP, if I go with BOT. That is the question!

Thanks

Gumboman

I've checked there and they do NOT outline what the difference in the products are! Did they just drop the Backup MyPC product without a viable replacement or not. Just pointing to the page description of BOT does not answer the question. What is do I lose in my use of BUMP, if I go with BOT. That is the question!

Thanks

Gumboman

I was confused because I'm a long-time user of BUMP. When I bought my new notebook from HP, I had the option of buying a copy of Roxio BUMP from their config menu, but passed on it. My BUMP 6 won't load on Vista, and now HP has replaced BUMP with Roxio BackOnTrack (not the online version).

I thought there was a time when they bundled BUMP with EMC, but now I'm not sure. I think that EMC Delux has the backup features of BUMP bundled with it, but I want somebody who knows the product to tell me.

Otherwise, I fear I may have to abandon BUMP and move to something like Norton Ghost, if nobody can confirm where BUMP is bundled now.

Steve

BUMP was a separate program that Sonic bought and bundled with one of hte Roxio EMC Versions (I think EMC 8). Sonic didn't do any subsequent work on it, but bought Back on Track for a later Version of EMC, and did no development work on BOT, either.

Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image have both been frequently recommended in the Forums.

Lynn

It won't work - you'll need an XP system and the original app to extract it