SarahM

Video Preview Toolbar

Question

I only recently purchased this and yesterday I uploaded my first video taken on a digital camcorder and started to edit it. I saved it halfway through and closed it down for the day. Then this morning, when I opened the saved video back up, the toolbar underneath the video, which allows you to preview your video so far seemed to have disappeared, even though it was there yesterday. I am still able to edit the video, add text and effects, etc, but I am unable to play the video and see how it looks.

Can anyone suggest a way of enabling the preview toolbar and making it appear again.

Thanks in advance

12 answers to this question

Really need to know which one of the 30 some programs you are using…

Programs have their name in the border at the top.

I would be using VideoWave and there is a choice of Timeline or Storyline at the bottom but the Preview window is in the middle right.

I'm not in front of my Roxio programme at the moment, but I'm positive that it was Videowave. At the bottom of the screen, I have Storyline, Timeline, Internal Tracks and my preview window is above these.

My screen looks exactly like the example shot on the Roxio front page with the heading 'And the award for best editing goes to...you' - Roxio - except I have a white space under the preview screen where the preview toolbar should be.

I don't understand why it would have disappeared as when I uploaded the first video, it worked fine. Then when closing and reopening the saved video in exactly the same way, the toolbar did not appear.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Actually I think it is impossible for it to disappear… What you describe is the Storyline or Timeline and it is not some toolbar but the lower part of the program window! I suspect that you have may have started the wrong program???

Some easy things to check…

From desktop: Start – All Programs – Roxio Creator 2009 – Applications – VideoWave.

Or from the 2009 Home app: Video–Movies – Edit and Transfer – Edit Video – Advanced.

MyDVD has a similar interface but without the Storyline/Timeline. – look in the Tips & Tricks here for some screen caps of these programs so you can compare and perhaps jog your memory. But all of them have the program name in the border at the top.

I'm not in front of my Roxio programme at the moment, but I'm positive that it was Videowave. At the bottom of the screen, I have Storyline, Timeline, Internal Tracks and my preview window is above these.

My screen looks exactly like the example shot on the Roxio front page with the heading 'And the award for best editing goes to...you' - Roxio - except I have a white space under the preview screen where the preview toolbar should be.

I don't understand why it would have disappeared as when I uploaded the first video, it worked fine. Then when closing and reopening the saved video in exactly the same way, the toolbar did not appear.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Is this what you see? The screenshot is from Videowave. If the "preview toolbar" is missing then it's the first time I have heard of something like this happening.

What happens if you start a completely new project? Are the play icons there? Do they disappear again after saving and re-opening?

post-103-1225728322.jpg

Yes, that's what I mean. That toolbar under the screen with the play buttons on has disappeared. The first time I started editing a video, my screen appeared as above with the toolbar and all the play buttons underneath my video. But since then, it has disappeared.

I've tried starting a new project and opening a saved project, but it still doesn't appear, there's just a white space. I've looked on all the menus in case I disabled it somehow, but I can't see anything.

I do not currently have any way of previewing my video. The only way to see my work is to slowly drag the timeline cursor along, but this is not ideal as it doesn't preview the audio.

I will check again when I get home this evening, and will take a screen shot to display how my screen looks.

Thanks for your help, I thought I was a lost cause!

Edited by SarahM

Yes, that's what I mean. That toolbar under the screen with the play buttons on has disappeared. The first time I started editing a video, my screen appeared as above with the toolbar and all the play buttons underneath my video. But since then, it has disappeared.

I've tried starting a new project and opening a saved project, but it still doesn't appear, there's just a white space. I've looked on all the menus in case I disabled it somehow, but I can't see anything.

I do not currently have any way of previewing my video. The only way to see my work is to slowly drag the timeline cursor along, but this is not ideal as it doesn't preview the audio.

I will check again when I get home this evening, and will take a screen shot to display how my screen looks.

Thanks for your help, I thought I was a lost cause!

Check to see if your DPI settings are at 96 dpi. Right click on a blank space on your desktop, then click on Settings, in the box that pops up. Then, click on Advanced. You should see a DPI setting box. It should read 96 dpi. If it doesn't, change it to 96 dpi.

I checked my settings and they're already set to 96 dpi. I guess my last resort now is to uninstall the software and try reinstalling it again.

I am having the same issue. i did a complete uninstall/reinstall. Installed SP4 and still am having the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am having the same issue. i did a complete uninstall/reinstall. Installed SP4 and still am having the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would be best if you were to start a new thread (this one has been dead for 6 months) and give some details about your problem. "Same issue" really means nothing without knowing what software you are using, what your system specs are, etc.

Why would I start a new thread, when this is the exact problem I am having? I have Creator 2009, Service Park 4 installed. When using videowave, the preview button area that you identified with your screen capture on Nov 3, 2008, is missing from the program. I attempted all the fixes that were suggested with no resolution. Only looking for some assistance.

System:

Microsoft Windows XP

Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

Intel ®

Pentium ® D CPU 3.20GHz, 3.19GHz

3.50 GB of RAM

80 GB Hard Drive

If 2 or 3 more people chime in with a 'me too', it can get very confusing. Much easier to ask and answer question one poster at a time.

Most display problems are video card related. Make sure yours fits minimum requirement. Update your DirectX 9 here. It does not get updated through Windows UPdate.

Also update your video card drivers or video chipset drivers.