• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

New Audio Card?

asandull

Question

Would a new audio card fix this problem?

My videos created in VW8 have only been approx 5-10 minutes long with dissolves throughout. I just installed 7.5 so I'm afraid I'm going have more memory problems.

Asides from getting a new computer what else can I do to make my system perform better with these two programs?

Any specific kind of Audio card that is recommended?

6 answers to this question

Make sure you get the RD (Rambus) RAM. If your first post is correct, that is what you have. Your 512MB will run circles around any DDR RAM out there. I wish they still made motherboards that support it.

Keep in mind that if you do have RD RAM, it has to be installed in pairs.

Thank you Bruce... I'm going to search on E-bay for two pair of 512gb RD Ram.

Buy more RAM.

That is probably the cheapest and easiest way of getting your computer to perform better. Make sure that you use windows to enable best performance (not best appearance).

Why do you think that the audio is not performing well? Are you getting any audio distortion? OOps I just read your title. My answer is the same. More memory. Your computer is trying to show audio and combine the audio with it. Memory should help. What is the source of the music, what format, doesn it sound OK when you just play the file?

Would a new audio card fix this problem? My videos created in VW8 have only been approx 5-10 minutes long with dissolves throughout. I just installed 7.5 so I'm afraid I'm going have more memory problems. Asides from getting a new computer what else can I do to make my system perform better with these two programs?

Any specific kind of Audio card that is recommended?

Buy more RAM.

That is probably the cheapest and easiest way of getting your computer to perform better. Make sure that you use windows to enable best performance (not best appearance).

Why do you think that the audio is not performing well? Are you getting any audio distortion?

The audio cuts out when I preview in VW. I was trying to preview the audio in a specific place that I put my envelope points and the audio would not work... If I closed the project then open it again it will work temporarily and then cuts out.

So I dont need a new audio card then???

Should I uninstall one of the Roxio programs?

I changed my performance settings like you suggested.

Thansk for your help!

The audio cuts out when I preview in VW. I was trying to preview the audio in a specific place that I put my envelope points and the audio would not work... If I closed the project then open it again it will work temporarily and then cuts out.

So I dont need a new audio card then???

Should I uninstall one of the Roxio programs?

I changed my performance settings like you suggested.

Thansk for your help!

It doesn't sound like you need a new audio card to me. Your audio card can't make any sounds if it's not getting anything from the system. It sounds more like a resource conflict to me. More memory may indeed help. Also, check what else is getting started up in your system automatically. Things like RealPlayer can start things that don't need to be running.

Also, run the standard checks for virii and ad/spyware that could be loading your system up. To get another view, open up the task manager, and see what it shows is taking the most CPU time. With nothing going on, no video playing, the "System Idle Process" should be getting 95-99% of the time. If it's not, sort the list by CPU usage and see what is taking more CPU resources.

Hope that helps!

It doesn't sound like you need a new audio card to me. Your audio card can't make any sounds if it's not getting anything from the system. It sounds more like a resource conflict to me. More memory may indeed help. Also, check what else is getting started up in your system automatically. Things like RealPlayer can start things that don't need to be running.

Also, run the standard checks for virii and ad/spyware that could be loading your system up. To get another view, open up the task manager, and see what it shows is taking the most CPU time. With nothing going on, no video playing, the "System Idle Process" should be getting 95-99% of the time. If it's not, sort the list by CPU usage and see what is taking more CPU resources.

Hope that helps!

Okay, I will get the 1gb RAM. I have MacAfee's spyware and run that often. Someone suggested using spybot, not sure if it makes a difference.

CPU

System Idle Process says 16K

RoxioMedia DBexe, 16,720

Roxio_Centralexe, 10,704

Internet Explorer 16,156

MS Outlook 15,072

I have no idea what any of that means... LOL...

By the way, I usually dont have the internet connected while working on videos.

Thanks for your help, I'll be upgrading to 1gb ram soon... I just purchased more to get me to 512 and didnt look into getting more than that... now I want to kick myself.

Okay, I will get the 1gb RAM. I have MacAfee's spyware and run that often. Someone suggested using spybot, not sure if it makes a difference.

CPU

System Idle Process says 16K

RoxioMedia DBexe, 16,720

Roxio_Centralexe, 10,704

Internet Explorer 16,156

MS Outlook 15,072

I have no idea what any of that means... LOL...

By the way, I usually dont have the internet connected while working on videos.

Thanks for your help, I'll be upgrading to 1gb ram soon... I just purchased more to get me to 512 and didnt look into getting more than that... now I want to kick myself.

Make sure you get the RD (Rambus) RAM. If your first post is correct, that is what you have. Your 512MB will run circles around any DDR RAM out there. I wish they still made motherboards that support it.

Keep in mind that if you do have RD RAM, it has to be installed in pairs.

Archived