• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Failed Dual Layer Burns With Up To Date 10.4

ltcarter47

Question

About a month or so ago I noticed that all my dual layer burns were failing. I am using (and have always used) Memorex dual layer discs. It seemed strange to me that all of a sudden I get a bunch of failed burns. I thought maybe my burner was beginning to fail, I do burn an awful lot of discs, so I took it into the Apple store, and they booted to an external volume and burned fine with both finder and Toast. Then they did an archive and install 10.4 on my drive, and burned successfully again.

I took my powermac home frustrated, but happy that the burns were good. Did all the updates that were available after the archive and install, and BAM, failed burns again! SIngle layers and CDs seem to be fine, it's just double layer DVDs.

I installed 10.4 on an external drive, and didn't apply any updates, only installed toast. From there, I can burn fine. I know it wasn't the 10.4.6 update because it started a little before that. This is crazy! Has anyone else had a problem latley with an up to date system?

12 answers to this question

By the way, Apple's Backup application (comes with .mac subscription) does backups across multiple DVDs. I don't know about DL DVDs though.

But I wouldn't want to use DL media for backups. I'd be too concerned that I wouldn't be able to access some of those files in the future. Single-layer DVD media itself is error prone. With the volume of data you're trying to back up you might consider something other than optical media for back up or at least make multiple backup sets.

As for DL media, I haven't had any problems yet with the 2.4x Verbatim DL DVD+R discs using my Firewire LaCie d2 drive with current firmware. Lots of people have trouble with Memorex media (mentioned in the original post). In some cases it may be more reliable to create a disc image first and then use the Copy window to burn that Image File to the DVD.

Well, the issue is that I am a semi-pro photographer with A LOT of data to back up. I am planning on doing discs pretty often, but it's not going to make sense financially for me to just keep buying live drives to fill up with data (individual photo files for advanced Nikon cameras are 12 megs per shot).

I'm just not sure I want to have to sit here and feed the disc drive 4 gig discs at a time, when I'm backing up over 200 gigs of info.

I'm just not sure I want to have to sit here and feed the disc drive 4 gig discs at a time, when I'm backing up over 200 gigs of info.

Unless $$$ is of highest concern for you, I might suggest a separate hard drive for such large backups. When the new Blu-Ray or HD-DVD becomes common place, then you have another option, but until then, I do suggest an external hard drive.

You'll need 50 x 4GB DVD discs to record everything. Assuming you aren't buying the cheapest stuff out there, that will run you close to $50. Probably more importantly is your time and the time it will consume on your computer. The computer won't be of much other use to you when you are cranking out those DVD backups. So basically, you've used up an entire day of your time and your computer processing time.

You can purchase an external drive of this size for around $100 these days. For example, a quick look over at CompUSA gives this el cheapo external 250GB for $99. I'm not suggesting this particular drive, just showing an example of what is available. Internal drives will be even less expensive.

This really seems to be the way to go for professionals. DVDs are great for smaller backups or things sent out to customers, but when you are dealing with RAW images that can be running up to 50MB each, a big honkin' harddrive seems to be the only way to go.

In addition, you can schedule automated backups of data/pictures that happens at regular intervals. This way you won't even have to be at your computer to insert the DVD. Check out Deja Vu if you are interested in this. Deja Vu is included with you copy of Toast 7.

-Mike

All nice and well, but there is one major flaw with Hard Drives: the nature of the beast. Meaning sooner or later they break down and may literally go up in smoke (like one of mine last year) and gone is the backed up data. A spindle of discs won't do that...

Well, if you buy cheap media it and burn with a cheap drive the media will decay to a point it can't be used anyway. Most likely much sooner than the hard disc will go out. If you want to back up important data, only use Japanese media. I recommend Taiyo Yuden. Almost everything else is made in Taiwan and very unreliable.

All nice and well, but there is one major flaw with Hard Drives: the nature of the beast. Meaning sooner or later they break down and may literally go up in smoke (like one of mine last year) and gone is the backed up data. A spindle of discs won't do that...

I've had hard drives crash, too. I once spent about $1,000 having data rescued from one before learning my lesson about the need for backups. But I trust optical media even less. I have several CDs and DVDs burned with Retrospect or other applications that have data that no longer can be read or extracted. I've replied to a few posts where people can't access their photos burned to multiple sessions on CDs. They are in a real panic. So with what's available today, backing up to multiple sources is the only choice. I backup to two different hard drives and put some critical things on my iDisk. I don't consider CDs and DVDs as a long-term backup strategy any more.

With my old internal Pioneer I couldn't read rather old MMore CDs anymore. Well, one could almost look through them. It had something to do with corrosion of a layer in CDs before they changed whatever is in it.

But... there are scans of my son's school diploma's on them and he really needed them. Yep, this old fool apparently was the only one to scan them in at the time. Guess what? My new internal NEC (LaCie) DOES read them. Slow of course, but I did manage to copy them off.

At the moment I backup to my second internal HD and a replacement external FW LaCie Pocket Drive. Still, I want a DVD set as well and Retrospect won't work with the NEC. Hence the external LaCie (Samsung) on order. Supposed to arrive next week.

About media, how about this? I've ordered a spindle of Verbatim CDs from which the disc info reads Taiyo Yuden. Howzat? Looks to me like it's one big mess in media-land...

About a month or so ago I noticed that all my dual layer burns were failing. I am using (and have always used) Memorex dual layer discs. It seemed strange to me that all of a sudden I get a bunch of failed burns. I thought maybe my burner was beginning to fail, I do burn an awful lot of discs, so I took it into the Apple store, and they booted to an external volume and burned fine with both finder and Toast. Then they did an archive and install 10.4 on my drive, and burned successfully again.

I took my powermac home frustrated, but happy that the burns were good. Did all the updates that were available after the archive and install, and BAM, failed burns again! SIngle layers and CDs seem to be fine, it's just double layer DVDs.

I installed 10.4 on an external drive, and didn't apply any updates, only installed toast. From there, I can burn fine. I know it wasn't the 10.4.6 update because it started a little before that. This is crazy! Has anyone else had a problem latley with an up to date system?

I've been having tons of problems with burning double layer discs as well and it started about a month ago. Just got done trouble shooting w/Apple (fifth time since Friday morning, which created my 8th double layer coaster) and while they are sending me a replacement drive, they said it might be Toast that's causing my problems.

Basically, a single layer DVD and a CD will burn OK, but a double layer will not. At first it would get to the end of the disc and not 'finish' it off. But starting last week it would stop at what I take to be the start of the second layer (given the amount of the 'progress bar'). Does this when burning w/Toast (either 6.11 or 7.02) or Finder, on Memorex or Verbatim, after an archive reinstallation of system OSX (so thereby tried it w/10.4.6 and back to system 10.4)...

They said that if it continues with the new drive, it probably is a conflict w/Toast...anybody else having these problems?

GOD this is so frustrating. There are almost no backup programs that will write to DVD; I finally gave up after trying one that required me to select all the file extensions off my entire drive I wanted to back up. Ridiculous.

So now I'm trying to just do direct copies and hitting the wall when trying to burn dual layer discs. I am going to be REALLY, REALLY pissed if my external drive dies before I can get DVD backups made. Guess I just get to putt putt along doing only 4 gigs at a time...I'm a semi-professional photographer and I have 30 gigs of photos for one week's shoot alone! Gah!

Interesting - I can offer no help, but I have similar problems. I just upgraded to Toast 7 AND bought a new Lacie Lightscribe internal for my G5 dual... Haven't been able to burn one DL disk yet. they all fail at the end with "Mac OS Error -5001" messages. Lots of coasters, no help from Apple, Lacie, or Roxio.

GOD this is so frustrating. There are almost no backup programs that will write to DVD; I finally gave up after trying one that required me to select all the file extensions off my entire drive I wanted to back up. Ridiculous.

So now I'm trying to just do direct copies and hitting the wall when trying to burn dual layer discs. I am going to be REALLY, REALLY pissed if my external drive dies before I can get DVD backups made. Guess I just get to putt putt along doing only 4 gigs at a time...I'm a semi-professional photographer and I have 30 gigs of photos for one week's shoot alone! Gah!

By the way, Apple's Backup application (comes with .mac subscription) does backups across multiple DVDs. I don't know about DL DVDs though.

But I wouldn't want to use DL media for backups. I'd be too concerned that I wouldn't be able to access some of those files in the future. Single-layer DVD media itself is error prone. With the volume of data you're trying to back up you might consider something other than optical media for back up or at least make multiple backup sets.

As for DL media, I haven't had any problems yet with the 2.4x Verbatim DL DVD+R discs using my Firewire LaCie d2 drive with current firmware. Lots of people have trouble with Memorex media (mentioned in the original post). In some cases it may be more reliable to create a disc image first and then use the Copy window to burn that Image File to the DVD.

Archived