victor99

Media Import (video)

Question

With updated video drivers I have attempted to copy from VCR using Media Import (Video). Am using Ulead Easy Capture. Settings changed to Input:Composite,Audio:USB EMP Audio Device,Input:Microphone(only option available).Quality Setting:General Purpose editing,best quality (MPG2 720 x 576).TWAIN option set to :FILE.

Test recording made which opens in Videowave. Started recording process and after an hour had a report that USB device had closed down. I tried to open the hour long VCR file but the recording was flagged as being incompatible with Videowave. Incidentally am using EMC8 which says that I have Videowave 8 but my system says that I have Videowave 7. i looked at the Properties of the two recordings and they are shown as MPEG2 -Video Clip. Question is why can I look at one file in Videowave and not the other?

Any help gratefully received!

17 answers to this question

With updated video drivers I have attempted to copy from VCR using Media Import (Video). Am using Ulead Easy Capture. Settings changed to Input:Composite,Audio:USB EMP Audio Device,Input:Microphone(only option available).Quality Setting:General Purpose editing,best quality (MPG2 720 x 576).TWAIN option set to :FILE.

Test recording made which opens in Videowave. Started recording process and after an hour had a report that USB device had closed down. I tried to open the hour long VCR file but the recording was flagged as being incompatible with Videowave. Incidentally am using EMC8 which says that I have Videowave 8 but my system says that I have Videowave 7. i looked at the Properties of the two recordings and they are shown as MPEG2 -Video Clip. Question is why can I look at one file in Videowave and not the other?

Will it open in Ulead?

Will it open in Ulead?

Dear Jim,

Yes it will but not without some difficulty. There may be a file problem viz: If I look on my C drive/Doc & Settings/Me/My Docs/My Videos all videos are there 8.51 GB in total. If I look in My Media and click on All Videos the file which I can open in Ulead is not available for Videowave. I can play the file from C Drive(file progression above) in Windows Media. So my system knows that the file is there for some applications but not others.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Barry

What is "Ulead Easy Capture"? I cannot find such a product.

What do you mean the "USB device" had closed down?

Where does your system say you have Videowave 7?

What is "Ulead Easy Capture"? I cannot find such a product.

What do you mean the "USB device" had closed down?

Where does your system say you have Videowave 7?

Dear Jim,

Thanks your reply. 1) USB device is EasyCap USB 2.0 Video Adaptor wit Audio. Model No DC60+ bundled with software Ulead Video Studio 10 SE DVD. It appears on my desktop as Ulead hence my loose referral which did not help you.

2) The power light was not on the USB EasyCap after some 60 minutes, and there was a message (the exact wording I do not recall) to the effect that there was no input signal.

3) Videowave 7 appears as follows:

My Documents > My Videos >Open > All Video files are displayed including the one which cannot be located by MY Media > Select required file > Open then Open With (following display appears :-

a) Windows Media Player

B) VideoWave 7

c) Ulead Video Studio

d) My DVD8

Choose Program

Home/Applications/Videowave brings up screen headed Videowave 8. Regards,Barry

We can't fix hardware, or software & drivers from another manufacture…

Nothing wrong with the Roxio end but you will have to contact your HW manufacture for help with their device.

Let us know how you make out!

We can't fix hardware, or software & drivers from another manufacture…

Nothing wrong with the Roxio end but you will have to contact your HW manufacture for help with their device.

Let us know how you make out!

I will, but first I have been through the process again and I find that both files which came to a halt with the message "capture device has been lost" are of an identical size, namely 3.99GB. Since Media Import has no means of flagging up the intended length of the captured material, unlike the audio facility which allows you to set capture lengths, is Media Import applying some arbitrary block bearing in mind the 4.7GB size of a DVD disc? If so how can this be changed to reflect the possibility of using Dual Layer DVD's in the DVD Burning process?

I shall look at the hardware route as you suggest but I think that Roxio software still has some legs for this particular problem.

I shall have another go at Media Import as my Device Manager says that there are no problems with the USB capture device.

Regards,

Barry

I will, but first I have been through the process again and I find that both files which came to a halt with the message "capture device has been lost" are of an identical size, namely 3.99GB. Since Media Import has no means of flagging up the intended length of the captured material, unlike the audio facility which allows you to set capture lengths, is Media Import applying some arbitrary block bearing in mind the 4.7GB size of a DVD disc? If so how can this be changed to reflect the possibility of using Dual Layer DVD's in the DVD Burning process?

I shall look at the hardware route as you suggest but I think that Roxio software still has some legs for this particular problem.

I shall have another go at Media Import as my Device Manager says that there are no problems with the USB capture device.

Regards,

Barry

Is your hard drive formatted as FAT or NTSC? That 4 g limit is typical of FAT file limitations.

To convert from FAT to NTSC

Edited by sknis

Both Hard Drive partitions are FAT32. Thanks for the link in your reply so that I can assess NTFS. The theory of an easy conversion from FAT32 to NTFS leads me to be cautious, there may be large dragons in the woods! If the 4GB limit applies for FAT32 I might just have to bite on the bullet.

Grateful for your help.

with best wishes,

Barry

Is your hard drive formatted as FAT or NTSC? That 4 g limit is typical of FAT file limitations.

To convert from FAT to NTSC

Just a follow up to my earlier reply. Would an external hard drive (formatted in NTFS) solve the problem even though the laptop hard drives are in FAT or FAT32 configuration? If so this would enable the external hard drive to be selected through "Browse" which is an additional challenge as I have never got it to work! Could you advise further?

Barry

Just a follow up to my earlier reply. Would an external hard drive (formatted in NTFS) solve the problem even though the laptop hard drives are in FAT or FAT32 configuration? If so this would enable the external hard drive to be selected through "Browse" which is an additional challenge as I have never got it to work! Could you advise further?

Barry

Where you save your files is the important thing - both what you capture and all temporary files while the system is encoding/reincoding. An external NTFS hard drive should be OK.

I'm not sure of what you mean by browse and not working.

Where you save your files is the important thing - both what you capture and all temporary files while the system is encoding/reincoding. An external NTFS hard drive should be OK.

I'm not sure of what you mean by browse and not working.

Dear Steve,

The "Browse" function I have found a stumbling block in trying to allocate alternate hard drive partitions, although I may have stumbled on the way "Browse" works this afternoon. Help does not describe how you get it to work. media Import in File Locations has the chance to change when Modify is selected. The default setting is:

Video C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My Documents\My Videos and the change was to select D Drive due to space considerations. Since FAT 32 imposes a 4GB file limit the alternative is either to reformat or use external storage in NTFS to save greater file sizes (hopefully without limit). I have run a trial with a USB device just to see how the connections work without creating any data. The file location is shown as: G:\ . I have tried to allocate the file path (see default setting above for Drive C) without success. I now think that Rename Files from Captured Videos to descriptions such as Joe Bloggs1,Joe Bloggs2 is the only way to see what you have when you open the external device

to select a task to work on. This may be confused but I would like an opinion as to whether I am on the right track before getting an external device. In the meantime the weight of substantial VCR file for transfer adds its own pressure.

Regards,

Barry

Regardibng FAT32 to NTFS - this is from, err, Windows Help and also here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx

"Converts FAT and FAT32 volumes to NTFS.

Syntax

convert [volume] /fs:ntfs [/v] [/cvtarea:FileName] [/nosecurity] [/x]

Parameters

volume

Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name to convert to NTFS.

/fs:ntfs

Required. Converts the volume to NTFS.

/v

Specifies verbose mode, that is, all messages will be displayed during conversion.

/cvtarea:FileName

For advanced users only. Specifies that the Master File Table (MFT) and other NTFS metadata files are written to an existing, contiguous placeholder file. This file must be in the root directory of the file system to be converted. Use of the /CVTAREA parameter can result in a less fragmented file system after conversion. For best results, the size of this file should be 1 KB multiplied by the number of files and directories in the file system, however, the convert utility accepts files of any size.

For more information about using the /cvtarea parameter, see "File Systems" at the Microsoft Windows XP Resource Kits Web site.(http://www.microsoft.com/)

Important

You must create the placeholder file using the fsutil file createnew command prior to running convert. Convert does not create this file for you. Convert overwrites this file with NTFS metadata. After conversion, any unused space in this file is freed. For more information about the fsutil file command, see Related Topics.

/nosecurity

Specifies that the converted files and directory security settings are accessible by everyone.

/x

Dismounts the volume, if necessary, before it is converted. Any open handles to the volume will no longer be valid.

Remarks

You must specify that the drive should be converted when the computer is restarted. Otherwise, you cannot convert the current drive.

If convert cannot lock the drive (for example, the system volume or the current drive), it offers to convert the drive the next time the computer restarts.

The location of the MFT is different on volumes that have been converted from previous version of NTFS, so volume performance might not be as good on volumes converted from Windows NT.

Volumes converted from FAT to NTFS lack some performance benefits compared to volumes initially formatted with NTFS. On converted volumes, the MFT might become fragmented. In addition, on converted boot volumes, NTFS permissions are not applied after the volume is converted.

Examples

To convert the volume on drive E to NTFS and display all messages, type:

convert e: /fs:ntfs /v

Obviously, back up all your data first

Also, if yuou can get your hands on a copy of the old PowerQuest 'Partition Magic' that will also do the conversion

Why don't you make sure that everything is backed up on an external drive (formatted in NTFS) and then do the FAt to NTFS conversion on your internal hard drives. You should alreay have those back up so what are you afraid of. That's the best way of going

Gee, you fellas are being nice to the OP.

@ 1TeSS: CONVERT YOUR DRIVES TO NTFS!!!!!!!!!!! SCREW THE DRAGONS!!!! FEAR NOT. MAY THE SWORD BE WITH YOU! :blink::blink::blink:

Guest ml

I'm a bit late, but here are my thoughts.

You have to modify the default location for Capture in the Capture program for Temporary Working locations as well as modifying where you want the completed file stored. You have to click on the path name for Video Files to get the Modify button to activate.

Your best capture will be to the main hard drive or a second internal hard drive, so it's best to convert it to NTFS. A Windows Help search for 'convert to NTFS' will show you how to do that.

You do not have to reformat to convert a hard drive unless you want to reformat the drive. I've done it without losing data, but it's best to back up the data on the drive in case something strange happens. Whether you get a second internal hard drive or an external drive, they're probably going to have to be converted to NTFS.

Partitioning a hard drive after you've been storing data on it is almost impossible without a Partioning program.

To keep track of our projects, many of us store ( and capture ) our files ( video, photo, music ) in a separate FOLDER that we create for that project. It makes it easier to delete everything when we're done without accidentally deleting a file that we might be using in another project.