Can't Burn Dvd

JDMoose

Question

I am new to Creator 2009, graduating from Creator ver 6. When I try to burn a DVD with MYDVD, the Burn Project quits burning after the Overall Progress and Current Task: Enclooing movie reaches 12%. I've tried rebooting my system, but each time I get the same thing. This is also a new PC, running an Intel Quad processor with XP Pro so the PC is not the problem. I have the settings on HQ for the DVD. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix for it? Transfering my home movies to DVD was the main reason I purchased Creator 2009. Previously I was using Pinnacle ver 9, but I needed to upgrade.

12 answers to this question

Not much info to work with…

In MyDVD, go to Tools – Options – Render and set it to Software.

Does it render/burn? (you may want to set Burn to create a File instead of wasting a disc)

It doesn't get that far to waste a disc. Creator 2009 displays the message "Overall Progress and Current Task: Encoding movie". When it reaches 12% is when it just stops. There is no activity showing on the DVD burner during this time. My PC is not locking up. It still shows running in the Task Manager. It just stops. I left it like that for a couple of hours and it stayed dormant at 12%. I am saving the file on an external IDE hard drive. I tried copying the files to my PC Sata hard drive and came up with the same display message. I am using the Roxio USB capture device to copy the video from my analog Hi-8 Sony camera.

It doesn't get that far to waste a disc. Creator 2009 displays the message "Overall Progress and Current Task: Encoding movie". When it reaches 12% is when it just stops. There is no activity showing on the DVD burner during this time. My PC is not locking up. It still shows running in the Task Manager. It just stops. I left it like that for a couple of hours and it stayed dormant at 12%. I am saving the file on an external IDE hard drive. I tried copying the files to my PC Sata hard drive and came up with the same display message. I am using the Roxio USB capture device to copy the video from my analog Hi-8 Sony camera.

Have you tried loading the captured video (what format?) into Videowave and using "Output as" to output the video to a DVD mpeg2, best quality file? That might show you if there is a problem with the captured video.

How long in time is the captured video?

Edited by myguggi

Have you tried loading the captured video (what format?) into Videowave and using "Output as" to output the video to a DVD mpeg2, best quality file? That might show you if there is a problem with the captured video.

How long in time is the captured video?

The video is 23 minutes taken from my Hi-8 Sony analog camera via the Roxio USB capture device. I did output it as a DVD mpeg 2.

The video is 23 minutes taken from my Hi-8 Sony analog camera via the Roxio USB capture device. I did output it as a DVD mpeg 2.

Walt and I have offered 2 different suggestions but you are unwilling to try anything other than to repeat don't work

I don't see how anyone can help you if you are unwilling to try something.

Walt and I have offered 2 different suggestions but you are unwilling to try anything other than to repeat don't work

I don't see how anyone can help you if you are unwilling to try something.

I apologize for the confusion and my misunderstanding. I am trying the suggestions I am receiving, but since I am new to the 2009 version I am having problems even trying to Capture video from my Hi-8 to apply your suggestions. I do appreciate all the help and advice that I am receiving.

It captures the video ok, but it saves it as just one movie and does not break it down to scenes so I can edi in Video Wave. I even tried to click the arrow in the lower right corner and nothing changes. In MyDVD, I did go to Tools – Options – Render and set it to Software. I also saved iit as an AVI (where I could not break it down to scenes) and saved is as MPEG-2 for DVD (where I also could not break it down to scenes. What am I doing wrong?

I apologize for the confusion and my misunderstanding. I am trying the suggestions I am receiving, but since I am new to the 2009 version I am having problems even trying to Capture video from my Hi-8 to apply your suggestions. I do appreciate all the help and advice that I am receiving.

It captures the video ok, but it saves it as just one movie and does not break it down to scenes so I can edi in Video Wave. I even tried to click the arrow in the lower right corner and nothing changes. In MyDVD, I did go to Tools – Options – Render and set it to Software. I also saved iit as an AVI (where I could not break it down to scenes) and saved is as MPEG-2 for DVD (where I also could not break it down to scenes. What am I doing wrong?

When you capture from analog video, you always create just one captured file, it does not break it up into scenes.

You could of course capture your analog video directly into scenes and each scene would be a separate file.

After you have captured your analog video into one complete video file (preferred format is avi for best quality and ease of editing), use the media selector option, navigate to the captured file, right click on the file and you will have "Scene Detection" as an option. You can then use automatic scene detection or define the scenes yourself.

I never use scene detection when working with analog video but use Videowave, find my scene breaks and manually do a split. Its more reliable then using auto scene detection.

Switcing to software render mode only comes into play when your rendering your video for a DVD or as a output file. It has nothing to do with editing video.

When you capture from analog video, you always create just one captured file, it does not break it up into scenes.

You could of course capture your analog video directly into scenes and each scene would be a separate file.

After you have captured your analog video into one complete video file (preferred format is avi for best quality and ease of editing), use the media selector option, navigate to the captured file, right click on the file and you will have "Scene Detection" as an option. You can then use automatic scene detection or define the scenes yourself.

I never use scene detection when working with analog video but use Videowave, find my scene breaks and manually do a split. Its more reliable then using auto scene detection.

Switcing to software render mode only comes into play when your rendering your video for a DVD or as a output file. It has nothing to do with editing video.

Again I apologize for my ignorance. Creator 2009 seems pretty complicted for me. I am computer savy since I build my own PC's, but I just can't get the hang of this program. I was using Pinnace ver 9 and it was very user friendly to use for my vidoes. I decided to give Creator 2009 a try because of all of the other features it offers since I needed to upgrade my Creator ver 6 which was easy to use. I have no problem capturing a video from my camera with Media Import. When that is complete where am I suppose to go next to do the editing, add a main menu, transitions etc? That's where I am having problems. What is the Media Selector Option you mentioned after I capture the video? Would that be Media Manager? I've used the manual which seems to be very vague and also use the help features. To go back to my original problem of the burn where the overall progress stays at 12%, I just happened to stumble my way around to get to that point and think I completed the video. It played ok in the preview pane. I would just like to know step by step in layman's terms on how I can capture, edit and burn my analog videos with Creator. Like I said before I really do appreciate the help and advice I am receiving from all of you.

Again I apologize for my ignorance. Creator 2009 seems pretty complicted for me. I am computer savy since I build my own PC's, but I just can't get the hang of this program. I was using Pinnace ver 9 and it was very user friendly to use for my vidoes. I decided to give Creator 2009 a try because of all of the other features it offers since I needed to upgrade my Creator ver 6 which was easy to use. I have no problem capturing a video from my camera with Media Import. When that is complete where am I suppose to go next to do the editing, add a main menu, transitions etc? That's where I am having problems. What is the Media Selector Option you mentioned after I capture the video? Would that be Media Manager? I've used the manual which seems to be very vague and also use the help features. To go back to my original problem of the burn where the overall progress stays at 12%, I just happened to stumble my way around to get to that point and think I completed the video. It played ok in the preview pane. I would just like to know step by step in layman's terms on how I can capture, edit and burn my analog videos with Creator. Like I said before I really do appreciate the help and advice I am receiving from all of you.

There are basically 2 programs you use to work with your video assuming you have successfully captured some video.

Videowave is used for editing, adding audio, transition, effects, etc.

myDVD is used for authoring your DVD: adding the edited video to your DVD project, creating menus and then burning to a DVD.

Jim Hardin has written a excellent workflow strategy for creating a DVD. There is also a lot of usefull information in the tutorials and in the Tips & Tricks forums for the various Roxio versions.

To get to the Media Select in Videowave, click on View and then select Media Selector from the drop down menu. You can also dock the media Selector to the right hand of the screen from the same menu. You can then use the Media selector to create scenes as I described above.

Edited by myguggi

karri and I both have developed some "How to" videos that may be of some help if you are visually oriented:

karri's

mine

Thanks for all the help and the visuals. I will be using them as guides to help me with my projects. I wonder if my Creator is different than yours? I bought it at Costco and it is called Creator 2009 Special Edition and comes with a USB capture device. I purchased Roxio because I like some of the other features that it offers, and not just for the video. Hopefully I will get the hang of it thanks to all the replies and support I received and is available on the site.

Thanks for all the help and the visuals. I will be using them as guides to help me with my projects. I wonder if my Creator is different than yours? I bought it at Costco and it is called Creator 2009 Special Edition and comes with a USB capture device. I purchased Roxio because I like some of the other features that it offers, and not just for the video. Hopefully I will get the hang of it thanks to all the replies and support I received and is available on the site.

The Creator 2009 version that you have, is the regular version of Creator 2009 plus the USB capture device.

It is not the Ultimate version, which has some extra programs, but it should make no difference in what you are trying to do.