• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cannot Convert Pal To Ntsc And Vice-versa

riocreations

Question

Hi everyone,

I have been using Toast 9 for a while now and have Upgraded to Leopard but I cannot convert PAL to NTSC anymore. I tried using the the button in the advanced video settings as I usually do but it's not working.

I don't even get the confirmation from Toast to know if I'm sure that I want to change from PAL to NTSC.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Rio.

13 answers to this question

I tried it for the first time the other day and have the same problem. It does ask me if I'm sure I want to convert to NTSC, however it gets about 98% through and comes up with a couple of errors. When I click OK, it just quits and that's it. Seeing this is the main reason I bought Toast.....maybe I just wasted $100!

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks RH

I tried it for the first time the other day and have the same problem. It does ask me if I'm sure I want to convert to NTSC, however it gets about 98% through and comes up with a couple of errors. When I click OK, it just quits and that's it. Seeing this is the main reason I bought Toast.....maybe I just wasted $100!

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks RH

Hi Roadhopuse,

Thanks for replying. At least now I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

I completely agree with you that I got Toast 9 specifically to convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa and I feel cheated...

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem...and how to solve it !?!

Rio.

Hi Roadhopuse,

Thanks for replying. At least now I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

I completely agree with you that I got Toast 9 specifically to convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa and I feel cheated...

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem...and how to solve it !?!

Rio.

Please walk me through the steps and Toast settings you're using. Although I don't have any PAL video to test this with I can try it with converting NTSC to PAL to see if I can encounter your issue.

OK. Downloaded the updates to Toast 9 and tried it again. Seemed to work. Once I get home I'll try burning it to disc and let you know how it went. Standby for further.

Cheers,

RH

Hi Roadhouse and tsantee,

I appreciate both of your follow ups and willingness to try and help.

Here are the steps I take that used to work:

Open Toast

Chose Video \ VIDEO TS Folders / Toast Titanium \ Preferences \ Audio & Video \ Video Settings \ TV Standard \ PAL .

As I close that window, I used to get a message asking me to confirm that I want to modify the TV Standard to PAL and I would press on OK but I don't get that message anymore. :(

Rio.

I appreciate both of your follow ups and willingness to try and help.

Here are the steps I take that used to work:

Open Toast

Chose Video \ VIDEO TS Folders / Toast Titanium \ Preferences \ Audio & Video \ Video Settings \ TV Standard \ PAL .

As I close that window, I used to get a message asking me to confirm that I want to modify the TV Standard to PAL and I would press on OK but I don't get that message anymore. :(

Rio.

The way I do this is to place the VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop. Choose DVD video as the format in the Video window. Select DVD with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. Double click on what appears in the browser window and drag the titles I want from the browser to the Video window.

After Toast extracts the videos I set up a menu the way I want by editing the title name and selecting a thumbnail button image (click on the thumbnail and scroll to the frame I want as the button).

Next I choose Save as Disc Image. Toast asks if I really want to make the conversion and I click okay. When that is done I burn the disc image file to DVD using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

OK. It seems to have worked OK and is saved as a disc image. When I get home tomorrow, I'll burn it onto disc and report my findings here.

So, now when I open the .toast file saved on the desktop, it opens in Copy, Image File. All I should have to do is insert a disc and hit the button....right? Is there anything I should specifically select under the Options button?

Thanks again tsantee.

RH

OK. It seems to have worked OK and is saved as a disc image. When I get home tomorrow, I'll burn it onto disc and report my findings here.

So, now when I open the .toast file saved on the desktop, it opens in Copy, Image File. All I should have to do is insert a disc and hit the button....right? Is there anything I should specifically select under the Options button?

Thanks again tsantee.

RH

Just click the burn button. By the way I just converted a PAL DVD to NTSC this way today.

SUCCESS!!!!! Everything worked great. I think there must have been some kind of software issue initially in the copy of Toast I bought, that was fixed by the downloaded update. The update was over 230 mb.....so it was significant.

So Rio, try it the way tsantee has suggested here and let us know how it worked out.

Thanks again tsantee!

RH

SUCCESS!!!!! Everything worked great. I think there must have been some kind of software issue initially in the copy of Toast I bought, that was fixed by the downloaded update. The update was over 230 mb.....so it was significant.

So Rio, try it the way tsantee has suggested here and let us know how it worked out.

Thanks again tsantee!

RH

Thanks for the suggestions...

I will try the method suggested this weekend but it still defies leaving the VIDEO_TS Folder the way it is and just convert it.

There must still be a way to get full functionality back the way it was...shouldn't there ?!?

I'll get back to you both with feedback.

By the way, which version of OS X are you both using ?

Rio.

Thanks for the suggestions...

I will try the method suggested this weekend but it still defies leaving the VIDEO_TS Folder the way it is and just convert it.

There must still be a way to get full functionality back the way it was...shouldn't there ?!?

I'll get back to you both with feedback.

By the way, which version of OS X are you both using ?

Rio.

I'm on 10.5.5. I've never known Toast to be able to convert from PAL to NTSC (or vice versa) directly from a VIDEO_TS folder or DVD. The extraction has always been a necessary first step as far as I know.