• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio & Windows Media Player Conflict?

Top Spin

Question

I have just installed Roxio Creator 2009 Special Edition on my Vista Ultimate Dell D830 laptop. Roxio runs great. However, now when I double click on a regular mpg file on my hard drive, my Windows Media Player comes up (as usual) but then I get this message:

“Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help.”

If I try and play the mpg file through Roxio, Video – Movies, Play Movies, then the mpg file will play.

Question: how do I get my Windows Media Play playing mpg files again? Is there some type of conflict between Roxio and my Windows Media Player? Thanks for any help you can offer.

3 answers to this question

I have just installed Roxio Creator 2009 Special Edition on my Vista Ultimate Dell D830 laptop. Roxio runs great. However, now when I double click on a regular mpg file on my hard drive, my Windows Media Player comes up (as usual) but then I get this message:

“Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help.”

If I try and play the mpg file through Roxio, Video – Movies, Play Movies, then the mpg file will play.

Question: how do I get my Windows Media Play playing mpg files again? Is there some type of conflict between Roxio and my Windows Media Player? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Go to WMP, open the mpg from there, and see if it plays. If it does, go to Tools/Options, and click in the box to the left of mpeg. Then click, Apply, then OK.

Go to WMP, open the mpg from there, and see if it plays. If it does, go to Tools/Options, and click in the box to the left of mpeg. Then click, Apply, then OK.

From WMP, I did File and Open, and opened the mpeg file. I still got the exact same message. Also, I have since tried to stream video over the web, I cannot do that either. Video in general will not work on my computer.

Have you checked that you have a codec that is compatible with WMP and that it is set as the preferred codec for WMP? The Roxio/Sonic ones are not compatible. I use the Cyberlink PowerDVD ones.

Get the Microsoft Video decoder checkup utility from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Although it says WMP 10 it is also for WMP 11.

You can also get Gspot, to see if you have the right codecs installed.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

You can get the PowerDVD codec package for Vista (a few $) from

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/cyberstore/order_122.html