Sign in to follow this  
bewindo

Why Toast compress my video?

Question

I have made a video with iMovie. It's a 58 minutes video so it must fit on a DVD without compression.

When I burn it to DVD with toast, it take more than an hour to encode and it seems to be compressed. I have burn three other 58 minutes DVD on another DVD recorder and each DVD take 3,8 gig of space.

The DVD i have burned with Toast 7 take only 3,0 gig of disc space. Each DVD is 58 minutes.

It's mean Toast has made a kind of compression with my DVD. But I have read that if a movie fit on a DVD, Toast is not supposed to compress it!

What can I do?

I need an answer quickly please.

Thanks.

Eric

3 answers to this question

Toast needs to convert the Video to DVD format. The video that iMovie produces is not ready to burn directly to DVD, it needs to be converted to another format. As far as I know, Toast will automatically encode at the highest quality it can. So if you had a 2 hour video, the quality would be reduced much more.

Toast needs to convert the Video to DVD format. The video that iMovie produces is not ready to burn directly to DVD, it needs to be converted to another format. As far as I know, Toast will automatically encode at the highest quality it can. So if you had a 2 hour video, the quality would be reduced much more.

I understand that. But if I burn a 1 hour movie, I expect that it will use all the space available on the DVD.

If Toast doesn't use all the space available on a DVD to burn a 1 hour movie, for me it's mean that Toast encoding compress unnecessarily my movie, loosing quality that must not be loose, because 1 hour movie is suppose to fit on a DVD without that much compression.

Does it mean that the encoding use by Toast is not very good? Is there a way to force Toast to use all the space available on the DVD before compress unnecessarily a movie?

Thanks.

I understand that. But if I burn a 1 hour movie, I expect that it will use all the space available on the DVD.

If Toast doesn't use all the space available on a DVD to burn a 1 hour movie, for me it's mean that Toast encoding compress unnecessarily my movie, loosing quality that must not be loose, because 1 hour movie is suppose to fit on a DVD without that much compression.

Does it mean that the encoding use by Toast is not very good? Is there a way to force Toast to use all the space available on the DVD before compress unnecessarily a movie?

Thanks.

You're forgetting that there is a maximum bit rate for MPEGs in the video DVD spec. Toast can't encode at more than the spec's highest bit rate or your DVD won't play. If you wanted to fill a DVD with 1 hour of video you also would need to use PCM audio rather than the compressed AC-3 audio to use all the space on the disc.