• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

"no Signal" Message While Capturing Video

timr81

Question

I have recently purchased a Dazzle DVC 100 from Pinnacle and successfully installed it on my Windows XP SP3 Dell Precision M4300 laptop. I also have Roxio Creator 9, Version 1.1.110 SP1; 4.50.05a. installed as well. I was importing video from a VHS camcorder and have the video and audio out from the camera feeding into the Dazzle (there is only one audio out from this Panasonic camcorder). I launch the MyDVD application and then launch the Roxio Media Import tool by clicking the Capture/Import selection in the Menu Tasks area. I then select the DVC 100 device from the drop down box. The video then shows up in the preview screen. I then clicked the Start Recording button and the video was being imported/captured just fine. So, I walked away to just let it capture the whole tape (about 60 minutes worth), but when I came back only about 4 minutes later, there was a message box on the screen that said there was "No Signal", do you want to save the file, and the capture had stopped. So, I save the file and play it from the "Recently Imported" screen and the video was fine, with audio, but only about 3 minutes. There was plenty of video remaining and the video was still playing, so I don't know what caused the "No Signal" event to occur. I tried it again and it did the same thing, but not at exactly the same spot, but somewhere around 3.5-4 minutes. Does anyone know how to deal with these "No Signal" events which stop the capture? I would like to somehow capture in a mode where the software ignores any "No Signal" event and just keeps capturing for the length of time I selected in the import setup screen. Any help would be appreciated.

18 answers to this question

It won't ignore No Signal.

If you had any gaps in the recording the app sees it as No Signal and stops the recording.

Also try not setting the timer and just manually stop it.

Thanks for the response. So, I guess this means that I have to "baby-sit" each tape so that when a No Signal occurs, I have to start a new recording from where the previous one left off.

However, when this happens in this case, there is no discernable "gap" in the video that is playing. I do have gaps of white noise throughout most of my tapes, but there isn't a gap like that in this part of the video. Is it possible that the DVC 100 stops presenting data for a period, which the software sees as No Signal, even though there really is video present? And I think the camcorder is always putting out some type of video, whether it is the default screen when the video isn't playing, or the video itself, or white noise gaps in the playing of the video. I guess I can see how the white noise gaps would be viewed as no signal, though, but that isn't what is happening here. I know this is a Roxio forum and not a DVC 100 forum, but I thought maybe some people on this forum know more about these USB DVC devices than I do.

Tim, please confirm that you have Creator 2009. I first moved this message to EMC 9 which is two versions old, but then noticed that it appeared you have Creator 2009 with SP1 installed. You can ignore the ->Moved message since it just brings you back here. LOL

Yes, I have Creator 2009.

Analog capture has always been a bit tricky. For that Panasonic mono audio, you can get a Y-adapter so the same audio goes to both channels. I had to do that with an older camcorder.

I know that the DVC90 had problems with certain USB chipsets. Pinnacle recommended NEC. Sometimes the USB ports on the front of a computer may not have enough power. Also try connecting the DVC100 to the back USB ports. The Dazzle draws power from the USB port. DO NOT use a hub unless the hub has it's own power.

Here is an update to my previous post about the "No Signal". When this occurs, there IS just white noise playing on the tape (these are gaps of white noise between times when I started and stopped recording on the original camcorder. It was a problem with this camcorder that I didn't know how to get rid of). This happens several times throughout the tape, with some lasting longer than others. When the gap of white noise is one of the longer ones, the software sees this as a "No Signal" and stops the capture and asks if the file should be saved. If the gap of noise is a shorter one, it continues to capture. So, I guess there is some amount of time that if the "No Signal" or white noise condition exists, the capture stops. I wonder if there is some registry setting that could adjust this time value to be longer? Or, if I set up a fixed recording time, why doesn't the software just continue to capture whatever is present for the length of time that I specified, no matter if there is signal or not? I have about 100 of these tapes with these gaps of white noise in them. I hate to think I am going to have to sit and wait for these "No Signal" stoppages for every one of these tapes.

I don't think your conclusion is correct… I don't have a Dazzle that I could ever get to work but I know when using the Roxio USB Capture device or even my A/D Firewire device signal is a moot point. It captures while the VCR is loading and continues capturing after the tape has stopped.

I think the difference here is when the VCR is running or the tape has stopped in your example, the VCR is outputting some type of discernible video. At the time this occurs in the tapes I am trying to capture, there is white noise as the video. This is what the VCR is playing at the time, but the device and/or software interprets this as no signal. I think it is too much of a coincidence that the no signal event occurs when this white noise is playing on the tape for it to not be the cause of the no signal event.

I think the difference here is when the VCR is running or the tape has stopped in your example, the VCR is outputting some type of discernible video. At the time this occurs in the tapes I am trying to capture, there is white noise as the video. This is what the VCR is playing at the time, but the device and/or software interprets this as no signal. I think it is too much of a coincidence that the no signal event occurs when this white noise is playing on the tape for it to not be the cause of the no signal event.

No... Some of my old tapes have breaks too.

Did you try the the try the Set Capture Length?

Do you know anyone else that could try to capture a tape for you?

You did state that you bought the device from Pinnacle, what do they have to say about this? After all it is their device that is losing signal…

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Any chance you have a DVD recorder separate and apart from your pc?

No... Some of my old tapes have breaks too.

Did you try the the try the Set Capture Length?

Do you know anyone else that could try to capture a tape for you?

You did state that you bought the device from Pinnacle, what do they have to say about this? After all it is their device that is losing signal…

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I did try to set the capture length for 5 minutes. The no signal occurs about 3 1/2 minutes into the tape. Even with the Set Capture Length at 5 minutes, it stops capturing at the 3 1/2 minute mark when the gap occurs and asks to save the file.

I used the software that was included with the device, called Instant DVD Recorder, and it does not stop capturing at this point in the tape. The reason I don't just use that software is because with that software, when I capture video, the audio for the video is lagging by several seconds. I tried to figure out how to correct that with that software but couldn't. So, I switched over to Creator 2009 to do a capture and I didn't have any problems with the audio or video, so I thought I would just use that software. I was hoping I could somehow get around the no signal problem I am having because I liked the results of the captured video/audio from Creator 2009. I didn't know if the software or hardware was determining the no signal event, but since it didn't occur with the other software that came with the device, I just assumed it was the software making the decision on the signal and not the hardware. I guess I could be wrong about that, but that is why I am posting here and not on the Pinnacle forums. I guess I need to do both.

Could be the difference in the two capture devices. The Dazzle may recognize a 'no signal' occurrence while the Roxio USB device may ignore it. Could be the software recognizes some code from the device.

I only have the Dazzle device, not the Roxio USB device. I am just trying to use Creator 2009 with the Dazzle device because I didn't like the results using the software that came with the device. The audio was lagging the video by several seconds, but never stopped capturing because of no signal. Creator 2009 gave me good results with the video and audio.

What I was posting was that with similar tapes, I use 2 other devices and Roxio does capture without the "Signal Lost".

One or two other ideas…

Have you tried capturing with Windows Movie Maker?

Capture from camcorder to a VCR then from the VCR to the PC?

An alternative would be to use the VCR as a Pass Through – camcorder to VCR In – VCR Out to Dazzle.

Of course pursue this with Pinnacle to see if they have some better ideas!

If you can see the video in the capture preview window, you shouldn't be getting a no signal.

I recently purchased the Roxio 9, to convert many of my old VHS tapes to DVD . I constantltly get "no signal" message . No matter wha I do . I have turned off my firewall and re-installed it , NO luck there either. I believe that I do not have the Proper Drivers , as nothing recognizes the Capture device at all , ever !

Can someone help me ?

The first question is what capture device are you using?

We get the same thing. We have the Roxio Video Capture USB and are using Roxio Creator 2009. We are hooking up a Toshiba combo VCR and TV to our HP computer running Windows XP. Thanks.

We get the same thing. We have the Roxio Video Capture USB and are using Roxio Creator 2009. We are hooking up a Toshiba combo VCR and TV to our HP computer running Windows XP. Thanks.

I am also getting the same problem on 2 different laptops with 2 different VCR's. I've tried S-Video and Composite as well as different cables with no success.