• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

burning disc

sullymurf@aol.com

Question

hello, recently bought creater 8- and having problems. i do learn alot from reading the posts--esp. ggrussell. i don't always understand the terminology, i am a beginner! i thought is was time to review what i am doing, so here goes- i'm editing commercials out of recorded tv. i capture/import from my dvd drive-uusually takes 90 minutes or so--import as a mpeg. then i go to videowave for the editing. after hours of trying it i think i got that down-thank you sknis!!! then i save the file. then i go to create dvd . i don't change any settings--don't know what PAL or NTSC mean and don't know what defraging the disc means. anyways it is the inconsistency that bothers me. when i have had a good burn-disc works on all dvd players--i do the same thing again and it doesn't work--either the disc it blank or "bad disc or dirty disc". i use the same media--was told dvd-r is the most compatible. any input would be greatly appreciated. i'd like to get this down by the end of the summer, so i can move on to transitions( and they so screw up everything) but boy they would look nice if the preview came out like the dvd. thank you all

6 answers to this question

hello, recently bought creater 8- and having problems. i do learn alot from reading the posts--esp. ggrussell. i don't always understand the terminology, i am a beginner! i thought is was time to review what i am doing, so here goes- i'm editing commercials out of recorded tv. i capture/import from my dvd drive-uusually takes 90 minutes or so--import as a mpeg. then i go to videowave for the editing. after hours of trying it i think i got that down-thank you sknis!!! then i save the file. then i go to create dvd . i don't change any settings--don't know what PAL or NTSC mean and don't know what defraging the disc means. anyways it is the inconsistency that bothers me. when i have had a good burn-disc works on all dvd players--i do the same thing again and it doesn't work--either the disc it blank or "bad disc or dirty disc". i use the same media--was told dvd-r is the most compatible. any input would be greatly appreciated. i'd like to get this down by the end of the summer, so i can move on to transitions( and they so screw up everything) but boy they would look nice if the preview came out like the dvd. thank you all

PAL and NTSC are video formats-The US uses NTSC format (TV) and Europe and many other countries use the PAL format. You can find some info that might help you better here.

My opinion is that if you burn to an ISO file (save image file instead of burn to disc) you will have a better chance of the disc playing in more players. Some dvd players don't like home made discs but you can try a different brand of media to see if that helps as well.

DVD-R is the most compatible when used in Players that like 'dash' media…

I have one player that will not recognize it and 2 DVD-ROMs that won't touch it! All of these work with 'plus' media.

Sounds like you have a DVD Recorder that is the source of your discs.

You may be able to cut your import time by copying the video1.vob, video2.vob, video3.vob, etc. from the VIDEO_TS folder to your HD and rename them video1.mpg, etc.

Then load them in VideoWave and edit.

It does not work for all vob files but if it works for you, great!

DVD-R is the most compatible when used in Players that like 'dash' media…

I have one player that will not recognize it and 2 DVD-ROMs that won't touch it! All of these work with 'plus' media.

Sounds like you have a DVD Recorder that is the source of your discs.

You may be able to cut your import time by copying the video1.vob, video2.vob, video3.vob, etc. from the VIDEO_TS folder to your HD and rename them video1.mpg, etc.

Then load them in VideoWave and edit.

It does not work for all vob files but if it works for you, great!

hello james, what is dash media-----i think you have got something there!!!

hello james, what is dash media-----i think you have got something there!!!

james is it true that when you buy media, there is a chance that 25% don't work or aren't good thanks for your help louise

25% is far too high but it can vary depending on circumstances.

My first DVD burner (Sony) burned over 200 DVDs (no name brand) with 3 failures – 1 1/2%. It would burn anything you could close the tray on.

My next burner, also Sony, has not faired as well… Worked fine for a year, now throws errors and will not burn any from one batch of cheap ones I still have. It probably only burned 50 or so DVDs in that year. It is still happy with Verbatim and another no name pack I have.

It also produces DVD RWs that are only readable on one of my Players. This leads me to conclude that the burning laser for DVDs is failing. I ordered a new burner today!

Archived