Microsoft Windows Vista won't show fancy side to pirates

The Highlander

Posted on April 13, 2006 at 3:08 PM

Windows Vista plans to offer you spiffy new graphics, as long as you're not a pirate.

With the new operating system, Microsoft is offering plenty of new graphics tricks, including translucent windows, animated flips between open programs and "live icons" that show a graphical representation of the file in question.

But before Vista will display its showiest side, known as Aero, it will run a check to make sure the software was properly purchased.

"Those who are not running genuine Windows will not be able to take advantage of the Windows Aero user experience," a Microsoft representative told CNET News.com on Wednesday.

The move is the latest salvo in Microsoft's broad attack on those who use unauthorized copies of its operating system. In the fall of 2004, Microsoft began testing the Windows Genuine Advantage program, designed to verify that a particular copy of Windows is legitimate.

Posted on April 13, 2006 at 3:08 PM

Windows Vista plans to offer you spiffy new graphics, as long as you're not a pirate.

With the new operating system, Microsoft is offering plenty of new graphics tricks, including translucent windows, animated flips between open programs and "live icons" that show a graphical representation of the file in question.

But before Vista will display its showiest side, known as Aero, it will run a check to make sure the software was properly purchased.

"Those who are not running genuine Windows will not be able to take advantage of the Windows Aero user experience," a Microsoft representative told CNET News.com on Wednesday.

The move is the latest salvo in Microsoft's broad attack on those who use unauthorized copies of its operating system. In the fall of 2004, Microsoft began testing the Windows Genuine Advantage program, designed to verify that a particular copy of Windows is legitimate.

I certainly don't have a problem at all with them making the attempt to weed out the bad seeds. In fact, I hope that it works for them.

I am just a small sole proprietor business, with two computers networked, but I have separate XP software for each computer.

They'll most likely only be able to stay even with those that pirates and hackers. If they put their efforts in curing cancer or AIDS like they do to hacking software, we'd all live in a better place.

They'll most likely only be able to stay even with those that pirates and hackers. If they put their efforts in curing cancer or AIDS like they do to hacking software, we'd all live in a better place.

I have to agree with you. All that you would have to do is tell them that finding a cure for aids and cancer is illegal, and we would probably have cures for them in a year.

I have to agree with you. All that you would have to do is tell them that finding a cure for aids and cancer is illegal, and we would probably have cures for them in a year.

Could well be right.

I remember an anecdote in READER'S DIGEST "Life in These United States" many years ago (30? 40?) from someone whose group was trying to learn the Virginia Reel, and was mostly getting confused until an elderly Southern woman straightened them out. When they thanked her afterward, she said modestly, "When I learned to dance, it was a sin."

Lynn

Could well be right.

I remember an anecdote in READER'S DIGEST "Life in These United States" many years ago (30? 40?) from someone whose group was trying to learn the Virginia Reel, and was mostly getting confused until an elderly Southern woman straightened them out. When they thanked her afterward, she said modestly, "When I learned to dance, it was a sin."

Lynn

:)

I wonder if it will be possible to duplicate that effect on a legitimate copy of Vista, and turn off the "Aero-bubbles."

I want an operating system that's stable and does NOT have fancy, fluffy, resource-consuming features which are really only smoke and mirrors and snake-oil.

I'm not interested in a tastefully decorated BSOD. I just want to see my application running properly.

My vote would go for a small, tight, reliable O.S. rather than a big bloated blowsy one which wants to be all things to all people. (Same goes for optical disc writing software).

I wonder if it will be possible to duplicate that effect on a legitimate copy of Vista, and turn off the "Aero-bubbles."

I want an operating system that's stable and does NOT have fancy, fluffy, resource-consuming features which are really only smoke and mirrors and snake-oil.

I'm not interested in a tastefully decorated BSOD. I just want to see my application running properly.

My vote would go for a small, tight, reliable O.S. rather than a big bloated blowsy one which wants to be all things to all people. (Same goes for optical disc writing software).

Did I hear someone say "Linux"?

Lynn

Archived