"Play All" Work-around -> Poor Sync; And Other Problems

nickesser

Question

I was delighted to see Gary Russell's work-around for the Play All button, since I was just about to post a similar question this morning. I followed the instructions, and voila!, it worked. Not only that, but it apparently solved the problem I had previously reported about the re-rendering files even though their same (5Mbps) data rate had been specified as the default for the Project. This time, it only rendered the menus, and showed the "MPG" still frame in the preview window while encoding/transcoding the main video files.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the resulting DVD had a huge fixed video/audio offset in each of the two "combined" chapters. The video lagged the audio by enough time for a singer to open and close his mouth "again" after the singing had stopped! Is there a known fix for this, or at least some known cause(es) to avoid? In the previous DVD I had made with these same two files on the main menu separately, (and re-rendered when burned), they were perfectly sync'd. I also know these files were ok timestamp-wise because I had run them both through VideoReDo, which had detected some anomalies, and fixed them.

Another problem was caused when I accidently clicked on "Animate Preview." When I discovered this, I unchecked it, but the resulting movie nonetheless has animated button contents, starting at the thumbnail I selected. It had seemed to be OK, but when previewing the movie before burning, I clicked the Up arrow on the "controller," which then started the animation again! Nothing seemed to keep it off permanently after that.

Finally, I added my own short .wav files (edited from the sound track of the videos) as background music for the 2 menus. One was 99.5 sec., the other 87.2 sec. Each of them seemed to be cut short by about the same amount. What's the work-around for this? Is the menu loop time fixed? I know I can't change it. If so, what is my target length? Or does it just cut the same amount off everything, so I need to pad the end with silence, and how long would that be?

2 answers to this question

Finally, I added my own short .wav files (edited from the sound track of the videos) as background music for the 2 menus. One was 99.5 sec., the other 87.2 sec. Each of them seemed to be cut short by about the same amount.

Depending on which version you have, MyDVD will be limited to about 30sec loops for the menus. The actual length is preset by the template. I haven't checked them all to see if they are exactly the same length.

Only EMC 8 Deluxe Suite has the option of up to 150 seconds (if I remember correctly). The 'menu' is nothing more than and interactive 'video'. The longer the menu, the less space you will have for your own movie.

I was also delighted to read Gary Russell's work-around. I just completed a dvd project and have noticed the same resulting sync issue. I spent so much time working on this I feel like screaming.

If we can figure out a fix for the sync issue I have a second question. Using Gary's play all method, when I change the thumbnail image for the play all button it also changes the select movie button. Not right away, but if you switch menus and come back it changes it to match the other. It does not allow me to change the thumbnail for the button that I added the chapters to.

Thanks for the help.

R

Archived