• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD drive burns with XP but not with D2D

avmad

Question

Hi all,

I just bought EMC 8 to replace my aging ECDC 5 platinum and I am having issues writing to DVD +RW disks.

I have a Dell X300 laptop with a Dell DVD +RW drive in the base station. In Device manager, this reads as a "NEC DVD +RW ND-5100A USB Device". My machine is a 1.4Ghz with XP Pro SP2 (all patches), 1 Gb of Ram and 60 Gb hd.

Firstly, I suspect that I have a hardware problem because of the noises and other problems experienced.

Anyway, I brought up a windows explorer window and tried to drag one or two folders and then just a text file onto the Drag-to-Disk application. Each time, D2D told me that "The disc is read only and cannot be written to".

If I select "Disc Properties" on the D2D application, it brings up a dialog showing a full disc and stating the used space, free space and capacity are all zero.

Next, I tried to use P to do a copy. I brought up two XP Explorer windows (one on my E: drive and one on my DVD writer drive - D:) and tried to drag some folders to the DVD. This eventually seemed to work. There was much clicking, whirring and vibrating from the DVD drive for almost an hour, but it did copy the folders and files .

Bringing up a new windows explorer window and attempting to navigate to the DVD drive takes ages - many minutes.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thx

avmad

8 answers to this question

Hi all,

I just bought EMC 8 to replace my aging ECDC 5 platinum and I am having issues writing to DVD +RW disks.

I have a Dell X300 laptop with a Dell DVD +RW drive in the base station. In Device manager, this reads as a "NEC DVD +RW ND-5100A USB Device". My machine is a 1.4Ghz with XP Pro SP2 (all patches), 1 Gb of Ram and 60 Gb hd.

Firstly, I suspect that I have a hardware problem because of the noises and other problems experienced.

Anyway, I brought up a windows explorer window and tried to drag one or two folders and then just a text file onto the Drag-to-Disk application. Each time, D2D told me that "The disc is read only and cannot be written to".

If I select "Disc Properties" on the D2D application, it brings up a dialog showing a full disc and stating the used space, free space and capacity are all zero.

Next, I tried to use P to do a copy. I brought up two XP Explorer windows (one on my E: drive and one on my DVD writer drive - D:) and tried to drag some folders to the DVD. This eventually seemed to work. There was much clicking, whirring and vibrating from the DVD drive for almost an hour, but it did copy the folders and files .

Bringing up a new windows explorer window and attempting to navigate to the DVD drive takes ages - many minutes.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thx

avmad

Try to update the firmware for your burner, but if it is making noises, it could be heading south on you.

Try to update the firmware for your burner, but if it is making noises, it could be heading south on you.

Thanks! I just updated the drive firmware from ver 10AC to ver 10FE (using update on Dell site).

I haven't tried to burn again yet but I did discover one thing...

...the disc it spent so long creating earlier is actually blank - I just tried it in another machine :)

BTW - The drive does not make noises when writing CDs or when reading CDs or DVDs. The noises seem to be peculiar to writing DVDs.

avmad

Thanks! I just updated the drive firmware from ver 10AC to ver 10FE (using update on Dell site).

I haven't tried to burn again yet but I did discover one thing...

...the disc it spent so long creating earlier is actually blank - I just tried it in another machine :)

BTW - The drive does not make noises when writing CDs or when reading CDs or DVDs. The noises seem to be peculiar to writing DVDs.

avmad

You are very fortunate that the drive won't write to disc/disk, using Drag to Disc. It will save you losing that important data, down the line. Don't use packet writing software. Use Creator Classic for your data backup.

You must be using XP's Coffee Grinder theme

Where can I get that!

Not surprised that the disc is blank after using XP burn… XP burning cannot burn to any DVD media!

As GPB implied, D2D is a packet writer and no packet writer has ever been called "reliable"!!!

If all you are doing is using it to transfer files between PCs, great. Never try to use it as a form of 'backup' or 'archive'.

The eject settings are misleading. Set it to leave the disc as is and it will work fine in 99% of the cases. This is found under Advanced Eject Settings.

One question: why is it "misleading," as you say? And what are the pro's and con's of different eject settings? Seems to me rather stupid to incorporate into D2D the ability to specify different ejection settings if they cause problems.

Where can I get that!

One question: why is it "misleading," as you say? And what are the pro's and con's of different eject settings? Seems to me rather stupid to incorporate into D2D the ability to specify different ejection settings if they cause problems.

So is digging up and old thread, or using Drag to Disc.

If you PM me again, I will request that you be banned!!!!

Not surprised that the disc is blank after using XP burn… XP burning cannot burn to any DVD media!

As GPB implied, D2D is a packet writer and no packet writer has ever been called "reliable"!!!

If all you are doing is using it to transfer files between PCs, great. Never try to use it as a form of 'backup' or 'archive'.

The eject settings are misleading. Set it to leave the disc as is and it will work fine in 99% of the cases. This is found under Advanced Eject Settings.

post-39-1145100148.jpg

Great input - Thanks! I think you've solved the majority of my confusions...

In the XP explorer window, I selected on the left to "Delete temporary files" (apparently, what I was seeing when I navigated to the D: drive, was an image of temporary files and folders **waiting** to be copied to the real DVD drive/disk.

After deleting the temporary files, I tried once more to drag a folder to the D2D application, and it worked!

I will make my disk as intended before (to transfer files between machines only) and then I will switch over to using the Creator Classic app to make a longer term "backup" of the files as GPB suggested.

Thank you all for your help. Most appreciated.

avmad

(Julian)

One last comment...

This is all working nicely - as expected in fact. No nasty noises, chunterring, whirring or vibrating. That lot must have been XP trying to "see" the DVD as a CD...

Cheers again

Archived