• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

175 Meg avi grew to 1.3 Gig

noco37

Question

Somone please explain what is going on. I am trying to burn 7 AVI files to DVD. each is 175 Meg, but each file I add to the DVD list reports as 1.3Gig!!! I would hope to be able to fit all of these files on a 4.7 gig disk. It seems like I should be able to fit 1.2 gig on a 4.7 gig disk, or am I just to new to this to understand what happens when you burn a DVD. I am trying to make a Video DVD not a data DVD.

Thanks in advance. I already feel like an idiot for asking this, so please help me understand.

2 answers to this question

Somone please explain what is going on. I am trying to burn 7 AVI files to DVD. each is 175 Meg, but each file I add to the DVD list reports as 1.3Gig!!! I would hope to be able to fit all of these files on a 4.7 gig disk. It seems like I should be able to fit 1.2 gig on a 4.7 gig disk, or am I just to new to this to understand what happens when you burn a DVD. I am trying to make a Video DVD not a data DVD.

Thanks in advance. I already feel like an idiot for asking this, so please help me understand.

When creating video DVDs file size means nothing, its time length of your video that is important. A normal 4.7GB DVD will only be able to hold 60 minutes of video at best quality. At low quality you may be able to get 120 minutes on a DVD.

It seems like I should be able to fit 1.2 gig on a 4.7 gig disk,

If you were creating a DATA DVD, it would fit. You would simply be copying the the bits as is. However, video is a different story. Most likely those files are DivX. Unless you have a DVD player that can play back DivX files, these files will have to be converted to MPEG2 which is the standard for regular DVDs. DivX uses a propietary compression technique that shrinks files more than MPEG 2. Hence the files are much larger when converted to be burned on a video DVD.

Archived