• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burned DVD plays fine for a while, then deteriorates

christerwhitworth

Question

Ripped a copy of 'Under The Tuscan Sun' using MTR. Burned DVD with Toast 7. No obvious problems. Burned main feature only which has a total size of 5.3 gigs.

Using TDK DVD-R 8X discs.

Toast shows 'excellent' for compression quality.

Movie plays fine for first 45 minutes, then aritfacts begin to show up with audio intact. Then, as movie progresses, more artifacts and eventually audio hiccups develop. Movie eventually freezes and then comes back after a 3 second black screen - over and over. By end of movie, the 'play' is reduced to stop-action frames with no connected dialog or music, only two to three seconds of fluid motion.

As the disk plays to the center, the speed of the track increases as the radius decreases. I guess that could cause problems with a compressed data stream.

Anyone run into something like this before?

2 answers to this question

After doing some empirical research, I have found that the problme lies with my aging Panasonic RP-56, which at it's release was a vey good player with Faroudja de-interlacing built in. It doesn't like my TDK discs, period. Oddly enough, I have two other DVD players, both Panasonic, that played the discs fine (I burned another just to rule out the possibility of a bad burn). I also have a very inexpensive Toshiba unit that liked the burned discs just fine as well. Time to move equipment and re-program my HT remote. Sorry to bother anyone over this. I always let Toast verify. Usually set up the burn and then go to bed.

Ihave some Taiyo's on the way. There seem to be lots of fans for this brand.

First thing I would do is get some good media. I use Taiyo Yuden. I have read that TDK's aren't very good.

Did you let Toast verify the Disc?

Ripped a copy of 'Under The Tuscan Sun' using MTR. Burned DVD with Toast 7. No obvious problems. Burned main feature only which has a total size of 5.3 gigs.

Using TDK DVD-R 8X discs.

Toast shows 'excellent' for compression quality.

Movie plays fine for first 45 minutes, then aritfacts begin to show up with audio intact. Then, as movie progresses, more artifacts and eventually audio hiccups develop. Movie eventually freezes and then comes back after a 3 second black screen - over and over. By end of movie, the 'play' is reduced to stop-action frames with no connected dialog or music, only two to three seconds of fluid motion.

As the disk plays to the center, the speed of the track increases as the radius decreases. I guess that could cause problems with a compressed data stream.

Anyone run into something like this before?

First thing I would do is get some good media. I use Taiyo Yuden. I have read that TDK's aren't very good.

Did you let Toast verify the Disc?

Archived