• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Does Adding Narration Double The Size Of Your Video?

CarolMan

Question

Question: I have some old old family videos that I'm digitizing that don't have any sound to them, and now that the family members are getting up in age, they'd like to all get together and record a narrative to go along with the videos. My question is, having never added narrative before, will this double the size of my video, in other words, I want the ability to toggle narration on and off just like on a commercial movie DVD that has cast narratives in the extras. Does doing narrative mean you have to have two seperate videos, one with narrative and one without even though the video content is exactly the same? That would mean doubling the the size of the DVD and would force me to go with a lower quality recording even with using a DL DVD! It would be nice if there's a way to simply make a menu option to "watch with narrative" or "without narrative". Any help is much appreciated, thanks!!!

Edited by CarolMan

5 answers to this question

Question: I have some old old family videos that I'm digitizing that don't have any sound to them, and now that the family members are getting up in age, they'd like to all get together and record a narrative to go along with the videos. My question is, having never added narrative before, will this double the size of my video, in other words, I want the ability to toggle narration on and off just like on a commercial movie DVD that has cast narratives in the extras. Does doing narrative mean you have to have two seperate videos, one with narrative and one without even though the video content is exactly the same? That would mean doubling the the size of the DVD and would force me to go with a lower quality recording even with using a DL DVD! It would be nice if there's a way to simply make a menu option to "watch with narrative" or "without narrative". Any help is much appreciated, thanks!!!

If you want one video with sound and one without sound then it means you have to burn 2 videos :rolleyes:

I don't think Roxio offers any software where you can toggle the sound of and on when playing the DVD.

Of course you can use the remote for your player and/or TV to mute the sound and thus have only one video :unsure:

Jes, that is what the OP is thinking of doing but "worries" that this will give a lower quality video

That's right, Walt. Indeed, that is his worry. Missed that part. :(

Wwe should ask CarolMan how long in time is the duration of the contemplated video. If the video is less than an hour, he can then make two titles (with and without narration) and burn the project in a DVD DL without sacrificing quality. However, if the video is nearing two hours, then your suggestion is the way to go.

Edited by malatekid