iMovie Alternatives?

coriscapnskip

Question

8 answers to this question

Yes it does, but someone on another forum said Final Cut Express is way complicated and iMovie 6 is still all full of bugs, so I might do best just going to iMovie 5 until such time as iMovie 6 is improved.

As for dismissing your other suggestions, don't take it personally. :)

It's just that my primitive brain can't handle processing all that information! :huh: It never fails to surprise people how much I DISLIKE choices. There should never be more than three choices for ANYTHING in life. Horseback, Wagon/buckboard, buggy/surrey. Car, truck, SUV. Expensive, medium, cheap. I'll grab the medium and not have to spend months and years agonizing. Going into make, model, color, and options complicates life and adds months to any buying process, and I'm not much on closing my eyes and sticking a pin in a map though it does seem like that sometimes. Competition may lead to improvements, but also market saturation and mass confusion.

Chuckle. You dislike choices and then ask for options.

The only reason to choose Final Cut Express over iMovie is that you want more choices in how to edit your movie. If simplicity is your goal then stick with iMovie 5 or 6. Personally, I wouldn't buy iLife 5 (which is how you get iMovie 5) instead of iLife 6 unless saving a few dollars is imperative or that my Mac was too old for the iLife 6 package. Also, Jim Heid's iLife 6 book should be available in a few days. Here's his Web site: Mac Digital Hub. If you ever see one of Jim's posts on Apple Discussions you know that you're getting the straight story.

It looks to me as if my best option is to upgrade to iLife 6. Reason: I probably wouldn't purchase anything till at least June, or heavily use it until after that, which gives them time for several upgrades. By the time I really use it, if I decide it isn't working for me or I need more, and, as someone has said, iMovie 6 material is exportable into Final Cut Express, I could still go to that with little or no loss, and, if iMovie 6 isworking for me, no need to. Thanks for all the help and advice!

Mixed feelings as to which way to go. A couple of times I tried upgrading to something that wasn't brand new, state-of-the-art, to save money, then changing my mind, but don't want to overcompensate or overdo either. There are a lot of editing programs out there and I hadn't heard of the two you mentioned.

The way I see it, I could go two ways here:

--Get iMovie 6, which comes with a lot of other programs I may or may not use but wouldn't hurt to have, and does not cost much so no huge risk. Thing is, if Final Cut Express is much more suited to my needs, does so much more, better, and faster, I don't want to waste months of effort editing something in iMovie 6 and then discover, "Gee, I could have had a V-8."

--Get Final Cut Express, which may be just what I need or could turn out to be way more than I need. Thing is, at that price I'd feel compelled to use it A LOT to "get my money's worth." Which is GREAT if it really comes through and does a lot of wonderful things more quickly, easily, and better than iMovie 6 would--I'd get more done, better, and faster. But if I find I could have done what I wanted just as well in iMovie 6 there'd be a "guilt factor" with which to contend.

Those aren't the only two choices, but those which come most to the forefront of most discussions. I'm going to consult at least one more professional friend before buying anything.

What video editing programs are available to Mac users besides iMovie and what are their advantages and relative costs? Thanks.

I haven't used them but there are MediaEdit Pro for $60 or the freeware HyperEngine-AV. Since you are using iMovie 3 you could update to iMovie 5 for $30 or $40 by buying an iLife 05 package from Megamacs.com. I presume from your earlier posts that you want to spend as little as possible.

coriscapnskip,

Why don't you make your way to an Apple Store (if one is near)? They have iMovie and FCE running on many Macs so you can do some "hands-on" testing and see for yourself what suits your need. It's tuff to ask people for advice on what program you should buy or upgrade to because everyone has their own priorities and likes/dislikes. Personally, if you've liked using iMovie3, I would get iM5 or iM6. I was personally reluctant to move away from iM3 when I had it, but I upgraded to 5 and it has some really great features that are leagues ahead of 3. As far as the other programs, I personally hardly use iPhoto or Garage Band, but they're nice to have and fun to play with. I also use Toast mostly instead of iDVD, but sometimes I like the iDVD themes.

Yes it does, but someone on another forum said Final Cut Express is way complicated and iMovie 6 is still all full of bugs, so I might do best just going to iMovie 5 until such time as iMovie 6 is improved.

As for dismissing your other suggestions, don't take it personally. :)

It's just that my primitive brain can't handle processing all that information! :huh: It never fails to surprise people how much I DISLIKE choices. There should never be more than three choices for ANYTHING in life. Horseback, Wagon/buckboard, buggy/surrey. Car, truck, SUV. Expensive, medium, cheap. I'll grab the medium and not have to spend months and years agonizing. Going into make, model, color, and options complicates life and adds months to any buying process, and I'm not much on closing my eyes and sticking a pin in a map though it does seem like that sometimes. Competition may lead to improvements, but also market saturation and mass confusion.

Archived