Medium Issues

JagX22

Question

I created an ISO file using Roxio and when I did it, I made it so it is at the optimum quality. In other words, I set the size from fit to disc to High Quality. When the ISO is created it is usually pretty large, but I set it for the 8.5G disc size. Once the ISO has completed encoding, I usually use Video Copy & Convert to burn it. I select the file and I put in the blank DVD, then I hit burn. Usually it says it is compressing, but I never get further than between 22%-60%. It seems like it will get about that far and skip right to 100% then it returns with an error saying something about my storage medium. I am not exactly sure what the problem is, but I have a friend who uses the same process and it works for him. Is there anything that I am doing wrong, do I need to change something in the settings?? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

John

Edited by JagX22

11 answers to this question

Okay, sorry for it took me so long for the reply. I thought I would try the process again, but this time I have a new issue. As of late, I have been running the process and it has been compressing. I tried again today and I got to 99%!!!!! But then I got this message: Roxio Video Convert has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. I took out the DVD and the burn is practically all the way to the edge so it nearly completes, but I just can't seem to get a full burn. I am using TDK DVD's, I am not sure what my friend is using. My harddrive is 200GB so it should be more than enough space (100GB on my C: Drive). I can't get the error code because it isn't getting that far anymore, now it just looks like the program is crashing. Any help on this??

Thanks

John

Okay, sorry for it took me so long for the reply. I thought I would try the process again, but this time I have a new issue. As of late, I have been running the process and it has been compressing. I tried again today and I got to 99%!!!!! But then I got this message: Roxio Video Convert has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. I took out the DVD and the burn is practically all the way to the edge so it nearly completes, but I just can't seem to get a full burn. I am using TDK DVD's, I am not sure what my friend is using. My harddrive is 200GB so it should be more than enough space (100GB on my C: Drive). I can't get the error code because it isn't getting that far anymore, now it just looks like the program is crashing. Any help on this??

Thanks

John

Pick up some Verbatim media, and try again.

Thanks

John

In addition to what GPB said, make sure no other applications are running.

If you (or your friend) happen to have rw media, you could always consider using an rw to see if you get to 100 % w/o creating an unusable coaster, but the rw should be for temporary use only.

I have some Sony DVD-RW, I will try those, let the file compress and leave the computer alone with no other apps running. Hopefully that will work, I will keep you posted. Does anyone think it is something in the settings??

John

Read Post #5 of this thread, but try the -RW media first, after you follow Tom's suggestion on disabling startup programs via msconfig.

Okay, good news. I didn't want to use my Sony RW's, but I did and it worked! So yes it was the media. My friend uses HP DVDs and he says they work so I am going to pick up a pack of those because they are a hell of a lot cheaper than verbatim. He is going to take one of my TDKs and try it on his version of Roxio to check if it's just mine or if he has the same issue. It's weird that certain brand DVDs work, but it solved the problem. I appreciate everyone's help, thank you.

John

Okay, good news. I didn't want to use my Sony RW's, but I did and it worked! So yes it was the media. My friend uses HP DVDs and he says they work so I am going to pick up a pack of those because they are a hell of a lot cheaper than verbatim. He is going to take one of my TDKs and try it on his version of Roxio to check if it's just mine or if he has the same issue. It's weird that certain brand DVDs work, but it solved the problem. I appreciate everyone's help, thank you.

John

Glad it worked out & remember RW is only for temporary storage, so burn on good quality (not store brand or Memorex). Everyone in the forum appears to be pleased w/ Verbatim and T-Y discs, I have had good success w/ Sony DVD-R.

Enjoy the product! :rolleyes:

John

Buy cheap, buy twice! Get Verbatim. HP has a number of manufacturers, who make their media. You may get lucky, and get one of the good ones, then again.......