Mydvd 10 Problem

jeffd1121

Question

I have a new version of MyDVD 10 Premier and created my first project. When I attempted to burn the project to a disc, I get "Drive is empty" no matter what type of disc I use. Any help is appreciated because this is entirely too frustrating!

Specs:

PC: Compaq Presario 6027US

DVD Burner: Samsung CD-R/RW SW-240B

MyDVD version: MyDVD 10 Premier; Build 111B43A ENU

DVD disc brands I've tried: Staples DVD+R; Memorex DVD+RW; Sony DVD-R

11 answers to this question

Try installing the PX engine, in this post:

http://kb.roxio.com/content//kb/General%20...mation/000070GN

Make sure that your burner has the latest firmware update, from the manufacturer's website.

If that doesn't work, try some Verbatim media.

I loaded the PX engine and have the same problem. I also unistalled the drive, rebooted so it would grab the latest drivers and have the same problem. I went out to the Samsung web page to grab their latest driver and it's an older version than the one I have loaded.

I guess it's time for Verbatim media. Any thoughts on DVD+R vs. DVD-R vs. DVD-RW vs. others? There's definitely various schools of thought out there on some of the forums but will take more opinions.

Edited by jeffd1121

I loaded the PX engine and have the same problem. I also unistalled the drive, rebooted so it would grab the latest drivers and have the same problem. I went out to the Samsung web page to grab their latest driver and it's an older version than the one I have loaded.

I guess it's time for Verbatim media. Any thoughts on DVD+R vs. DVD-R vs. DVD-RW vs. others? There's definitely various schools of thought out there on some of the forums but will take more opinions.

Does your drive recognize commercial discs if you try to play them?

RW media is temporary media, it wears out or fades over time. As far as 'dash' or 'plus' R media, there is no real difference. Some Players don't like 'plus' and some don't like 'dash'. Roll the dice!

I don't understand how you can have a newer driver than the manufacture has??? Maybe you could sell it to them…

You will virtually never go wrong using Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. As Jim said, RW is temporary. The next time you're burning for experimentation or just to see if your burner works, use RW. If you want to keep your hard work, use -or +R.

Personally I've been good with -R, and some swear by the +.

Here's a link with more info on disc brands and some tech. info on the difference between - and +.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Does that Samsung burn with any software?

I think my post to this forum qualifies for the ID-10-T error of the year. After further inspection of the specs of my burner, I've discovered it's NOT a DVD burner, just a CD burner.

ID10T!!!

P.S. Thanks for all the support and the quick responses!

LOL! That's the bad news. The good news is, you certainly aren't the first person to make that mistake. And, good DVD burners are very inexpensive. Time to get one.