• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Trimming vs. splitting

golinux

Question

14 answers to this question

Going a little farther… The advantage of the Save As (dmsm) file is that the original is never touched. You can add a dmsm file to MyDVD just like a movie.

If you wanted to, you could have the normal clip plus the same clip in Black and White and another one with every special effect you can lay your hands on, all based on the same source clip. Yet the original clip is never altered and available to make another rendition.

It is a different way of thinking to get the job done with a minimal amount of time and effort.

Thanks for the clarifications. I am already familiar with what you are saying however I still am puzzled by something.

When I capture 24 minute segments from VHS, I can get 4 (actually almost 5) on a DVD with room to spare. However, after capturing, minimal editing (2 sec. intro still, fade, segment, fade to color panel) and creating a disk in MyDVD with dmsm files, I am only able to get 3 on a DVD. I can't figure out how the files are getting so big as I'm not adding all that much. That's why I thought it might help to trim ends from the original.

Everything is working just fine - quality is acceptable, and the disks burn perfectly. I can even deal with the time it takes to encode a disk. I am just frustrated that I can't get 4 back on a disk as the original VHS to DVD transfer.

In case you're wondering, I am creating an ISO image.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the clarifications. I am already familiar with what you are saying however I still am puzzled by something.

When I capture 24 minute segments from VHS, I can get 4 (actually almost 5) on a DVD with room to spare. However, after capturing, minimal editing (2 sec. intro still, fade, segment, fade to color panel) and creating a disk in DVD Builder with dmsm files, I am only able to get 3 on a DVD. I can't figure out how the files are getting so big as I'm not adding all that much. That's why I thought it might help to trim ends from the original.

Everything is working just fine - quality is acceptable, and the disks burn perfectly. I am just frustrated that I can't get 4 back on a disk as the original VHS to DVD transfer.

Just in case you're wondering, I am creating an ISO image.

Any thoughts?

A normal 4.7GB DVD can hold 60 minutes of "best" quality video, file size means nothing To get on more then that on the DVD, the video has to be compressed which means loss of quality. If you have a "movie" that is >60 minutes you can let DVD Builder shrink the video by selecting "fit to disk". Many of us have found that this does not give good quality. A better option is to create an ISO image file (as you are doing) and then use Disc Copier to burn that ISO file to the DVD. If the ISO is >60 minutes Disc Copier will transcode the video to fit on the DVD. The results are quite acceptable for videos up to about 120 minutes. (I never try to go above 90 minutes).

If you have a "movie" that is >60 minutes you can let DVD Builder shrink the video by selecting "fit to disk".
I am having to use "fit to disk" to get three segements on a DVD. I'm OK with the quality.

A better option is to create an ISO image file (as you are doing) and then use Disc Copier to burn that ISO file to the DVD. If the ISO is >60 minutes Disc Copier will transcode the video to fit on the DVD. The results are quite acceptable for videos up to about 120 minutes. (I never try to go above 90 minutes).
I'm not quite following . . . Right now I am creating the ISO image when I burn the DVD. Is there way to create the ISO separately?

LOL. We have all been there.
Thanks for everybody's help. I'm getting the hang of it now. Can burn ISO images and open them in a virtual drive to check before burning to disc.

However, now that I am looking more closely, I see that I am having the audio sync problem that has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. Am trying the various workarounds but OMG, it takes forever to render a file or create an image in order to test and compare. This is definitely a full time endeavor!! I hoping that once I figure out what works best, I can just zip through the rest . . .yeah, right. I've got over 30 hours of material to get on disk so it looks like I'll be enslaved for months to come.

:):huh::D Yes but your computer doesn't need to sleep. 30 hrs = 30 nights. You can cut that back by doing a little on weekends. I hope you don't have anything else to do for about three weeks. :D

Thanks for everybody's help. I'm getting the hang of it now. Can burn ISO images and open them in a virtual drive to check before burning to disc.

However, now that I am looking more closely, I see that I am having the audio sync problem that has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. Am trying the various workarounds but OMG, it takes forever to render a file or create an image in order to test and compare. This is definitely a full time endeavor!! I hoping that once I figure out what works best, I can just zip through the rest . . .yeah, right. I've got over 30 hours of material to get on disk so it looks like I'll be enslaved for months to come.

Guest mlpasley
it takes forever to render a file or create an image in order to test and compare.

Well, you could try working with just a small segment of that video until you find what works. You can have more than one Production with the same video. The original video won't be changed, so you could make a video of around 10 - 15 minutes til you find what works.

You didn't post your computer specifications, so it's difficult to tell what your 'take forever' problem might be.

Also, before you spend hours trying to solve the audio/video sync problem..... burn a DVD (RW if you have one) to see if it's a playback problem on your computer or a true sync problem

They seem to do the same thing. What's the dif?

Split is to do just that, split the file into sections. Trimming is edits such as cutting off the first or last minute of video, cutiign out commercials etc. If you split the file, you can use it as separate titles if you choose. Trimming would reduce the size of the file if you took out sections such as commercials or pieces of the video you no longer want.

They seem to do the same thing. What's the dif?

there is a big difference. Trimming means removing video from the beginning or end of a video clip. Splitting means dividing a video clip into 2 or more parts without removing any video. Splitting can be used to remove a section of video within a video clip such as commercials, 10 secs of video of your feet. Once you have split a video you can then trim from the start and end of each video segment

Oops. I didn't word my original question quite accurately. I meant split and DELETE vs. trimming. Either way it seems like I end up with the same video segment.

Now how can I replace the original file with that trimmed segment? I tried a 'save as' and it didn't work.

Oops. I didn't word my original question quite accurately. I meant split and DELETE vs. trimming. Either way it seems like I end up with the same video segment.

Now how can I replace the original file with that trimmed segment? I tried a 'save as' and it didn't work.

When you use "Save as .." all you are doing is saving the project file (it will have the extension dmsm), that is, the list of source files,, editing you are applying to your files, transitions, etc. You are not creating a new video file. The new file is created by using the "output production to " option. The original file is never changed and that is not something you usually want to do anyway.

Archived