First shot at Music DVD - Error message

bdiament

Question

Hi all,

Today I tried my first Music DVD (using 7.0.2).

I assembled the 24/96 tracks and added them as per the instructions.

I have 6 tracks with a total time of just over 25 minutes.

When I went to burn the disc, the program went through what I took to be some normal gyrations as it prepared to burn. Then, I got the following message:

"The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR

Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03"

Can anyone tell me what this message means?

I'm using a 1.25GHz PowerBook with 1G RAM running system 10.4.6.

No other programs were running.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barry

3 answers to this question

Hi all,

Today I tried my first Music DVD (using 7.0.2).

I assembled the 24/96 tracks and added them as per the instructions.

I have 6 tracks with a total time of just over 25 minutes.

When I went to burn the disc, the program went through what I took to be some normal gyrations as it prepared to burn. Then, I got the following message:

"The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR

Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03"

Can anyone tell me what this message means?

I'm using a 1.25GHz PowerBook with 1G RAM running system 10.4.6.

No other programs were running.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barry

MEDIUM ERROR usually means the drive is having trouble with the blank media. Updating firmware and/or using different media is the typical fix.

Some other things you should know. One is to use Toast 7.0.1 instead of 7.0.2 to make music DVDs unless the audio is in Apple Lossless format. There is a bug in 7.0.2 that changes the speed of the music when encoding anything other than Apple Lossless. You can download 7.0.1 from the Software Updates page. It's okay to have both versions on your hard drive.

Secondly, use Save as Disc Image rather than clicking the burn button when creating Music DVDs. This will let you check the encoded and authored DVD (by mounting the image file) in DVD Player before burning it to disc. It also prevents the problem of the DVD drive going to sleep while waiting for the encoding and authoring the be completed. You burn the disc image file to DVD using the Toast Copy window.

Hi lakewoodlawnman and tsantee,

Thanks for your responses.

Since the message said "MEDIUM ERROR" I tried another disc. I thought this strange since I've been using Taiyo Yuden discs exclusively and have never had any sort of problem. Anyway, the second disc worked but when I tried it in my Sony DVD player, I saw a message on screen saying "Playing this disc prohibited by area limits". The disc played fine on my Mac PowerBook.

I checked the Preferences settings and saw the check next to PAL instead of NTSC. I corrected this (changing it to NTSC) and burned another disc. This one worked fine in the Sony.

As to 7.0.2 and speed errors on Music DVDs, I don't know why I got lucky but I did. I know the program intimately and the DVD is at the correct speed for sure. (The originals were 24 bit 96k aif files I recorded myself.)

Thanks again for your help.

Barry

P.S. tsantee, I'll try saving as a disc image for future copies.

Archived