• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Size Matters

zhuxai

Question

I am trying to save a dvd as a disk image. The original dvd is 4.37GB and I had 7.69GB available on my HD. At the outset Toast tells me 7.37 GB needed 952.2 MB available. Now, 75% into the 'save as disk image' I have 6.76 GB on the desktop as a toast image file being created and 7 GB in Roxio Converted Items folder and increasing. What's up here? It seems the more space I make available the more it needs.

7 answers to this question

Hi, sorry this should refer to Toast 8. I am using video > DVD-video to make the disk image.

Having freed up more space I have finally got an image of 9.43 GB which will not write to a normal disk.

You refer to an original DVD that is 4.37 GB. Is your source video from an existing DVD? If so, why aren't you using the VIDEO_TS Folders setting?

When using the DVD video setting with an existing video DVD you need to first use the Toast Media Browser to extract the individual titles from the DVD (or VIDEO_TS folder) to extract the individual titles.

I need to know more about what you're starting with and the steps you're following in order to explain how to get this sorted out.

Thanks for your attention. I am starting with a dvd disk containing mpeg and avi files

If the MPEG files meet the video DVD spec then Toast should use them without any re-encoding. In that case their file size remains the same as the original. However, Toast must re-encode the AVIs which will make their file size bigger as MPEG 2 video.

If you only had AVI's and you use Toast's automatic setting it should be possible to fit a little more than three hours of video to a single-layer DVD. Of course your existing MPEG video is taking up some of that disc space. Let's say the MPEGs total 2.2 GB in size. That means you can fit about an hour and a half of re-encoded video from the AVIs.

My sense is you are trying to fit too much video to one disc.

OK so avi files get expanded which I suppose explains the 6.76 GB on the desktop as a toast image file plus the 7 GB in the Roxio Converted Items folder. The latter does self-delete but the space is needed when writing the image file. It appears that this is all a oretty pointless exercise and I should live with the avi file format.

OK so avi files get expanded which I suppose explains the 6.76 GB on the desktop as a toast image file plus the 7 GB in the Roxio Converted Items folder. The latter does self-delete but the space is needed when writing the image file. It appears that this is all a oretty pointless exercise and I should live with the avi file format.

Right. The only reason to convert the AVIs is if you want them to be playable in a standard video DVD player.