Can't read info backed up on cd

lynnedurb

Please Help! I backed up my dads data files on a CD using his roxio program. Now when we try to read it we can't see any of the files although the cd is full. The properties say the file system is UDFRDR. We thought we saved it in a format that could be read in any drive but we can't read it on his computer or mine. Is there some way to recover these files? Thanks so much to whoever can give me a clue! Lynne

Please Help! I backed up my dads data files on a CD using his roxio program. Now when we try to read it we can't see any of the files although the cd is full. The properties say the file system is UDFRDR. We thought we saved it in a format that could be read in any drive but we can't read it on his computer or mine. Is there some way to recover these files? Thanks so much to whoever can give me a clue! Lynne

The big question is whether you used CD-R or CD-RW.

Packet-Writing is notoriously fickle, sometimes merely being fussy about being read by the same Operating System and Program Version as wrote it, and sometimes simply failing for no visible reason. (This applies to ALL Packet-Writing programs - DirectCD, Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc.)

If you used a CD-R there is a pretty good chance you can retrieve the data with a recovery program such as cdroller (www.cdroller.com) or ISOBuster (www.isobuster.com) - both have impressive testimonials on their websites and in the Roxio files. They both now have a "trial" version to enable you to find out if anything can be recovered before you have to pay. (I am not aware of any FREE recovery programs.)

If you used a CD-RW, it's probable the data has faded out, but you can give one of the recovery programs a try - don't get you hopes very high, tho.

Let us know how it goes.

And for the future: NEVER format the disc if you want to KEEP the data. In fact, just NEVER format a disc.

Lynn

How did you create this disc? Did you format it in DirectCD and then "drag & drop" the data files to it? If "yes" - you need to have access to a udf reader program to read the files back. You should be able to accomplish that by installing the Roxio program on the computer you are using to read the files back. Or you can download the udf reader module and install it to just be able to read these kinds of cd's.

Download and install the 5.1 version udf reader at download.com and then apply the update off this Roxio website to it.

Please be forewarned - if this is all happening because you are updating the system to WinXP from an older op system - be very careful how you install Roxio 5. Your computer will not be happy if you install something earlier than verison 5.1 and then let it "reboot". Be sure to update your installation to the latest version before rebooting. Search this forum for specific installation instructions for ECDC5 under WinXP - or come back and ask.

Archived