How do I?

astral4travel

Question

I captured a recording of a record,(Yes remember records?) using roxio capture. I used my analog inputs on my capture card and it was recorded as a mpg. file. How do I convert this file to a Wav. so that I can edit it with Sound Editor? I would hate to have to record it again.

Thanks, michael

8 answers to this question

I captured a recording of a record,(Yes remember records?) using roxio capture. I used my analog inputs on my capture card and it was recorded as a mpg. file. How do I convert this file to a Wav. so that I can edit it with Sound Editor? I would hate to have to record it again.

Thanks, michael

I don't know why you would have done it that way. I have serious doubts that the music will sound good. If it really is an mpeg file now, then open VideoWave, use Media Selector to browse to that file, right click on in, and click on extract audio.

You should be using the Record Audio portion of Sound Editor to record from you LP's.

I don't know why you would have done it that way. I have serious doubts that the music will sound good. If it really is an mpeg file now, then open VideoWave, use Media Selector to browse to that file, right click on in, and click on extract audio.

You should be using the Record Audio portion of Sound Editor to record from you LP's.

Thanks Bruce. I'll try and extract it and if it is lousy I will use Sound Editor and do it over. Thanks

Let me know how it turns out. How do you have your turntable connected? Is it connected to an amplifier, then the amp connected to your sound card?

Bruce, I did this quite a bit several years ago.

I did Real to Real Teac 4010SL and from a turntable.

EasyCD4 Deluxe came with a Y cord for this.

The Real has a pre amp built in it.

The turn table needs one with a phono connection. They are

not avaliable on most new amps nowadays.

The Y cord excepts the left and right channels, then merges

them to one plug that connects to the sound card.

Just like video real time capture. Thats why the OP didn't want

to have to do over!

cdanteek

Bruce, I did this quite a bit several years ago.

I did Real to Real Teac 4010SL and from a turntable.

EasyCD4 Deluxe came with a Y cord for this.

The Real has a pre amp built in it.

The turn table needs one with a phono connection. They are

not avaliable on most new amps nowadays.

The Y cord excepts the left and right channels, then merges

them to one plug that connects to the sound card.

Just like video real time capture. Thats why the OP didn't want

to have to do over!

cdanteek

Yes, but when you recorded to your hard drive, that way, you did it as an mp3 or wav file, not a video file, correct?

I have my turntable connected to the phono jacks on the back of my amplifier. I then have my left and right channel cables from my tape rec. jacks on the back of my amp, going to the L,R jacks on the front of my sound card. I have a platinum model of the Audigy2 sound card so I have a unit in a bay in the front of my computer.

I realize that most can't do it that way, but I would not capture the LP's as a video.

Yes, but when you recorded to your hard drive, that way, you did it as an mp3 or wav file, not a video file, correct?

I have my turntable connected to the phono jacks on the back of my amplifier. I then have my left and right channel cables from my tape rec. jacks on the back of my amp, going to the L,R jacks on the front of my sound card. I have a platinum model of the Audigy2 sound card so I have a unit in a bay in the front of my computer.

I realize that most can't do it that way, but I would not capture the LP's as a video.

Wav files yes!

cdanteek

Wav files yes!

cdanteek

I thought so. My question was not intended to be rhetorical in nature, though. The OP has his left and right audio cables, connected to his capture card. To do that, he would have, in fact, more than likely need a Y cable. I do, for my Hauppauge card.

But, no matter, if capturing in that manner, the OP undoubtedly got a video file with no picture, but with the audio.

I've done the same thing dozens of times also from a turntable that plays 45's, 78's and 33's. I use my Dazzle Digital Video Creator 150 connected with analog cables from the turn table (mini- RCA phono jack I made) that is split to two right and left audio cables that are connected to the computer line in port on my Audgy2 ZS that are again re-joined with a mini-audio plug. The files are captured as WAV files and not mpg.

There are many ways to capture audio and video from outside sources and it all depends on just what software and hardware one has. They all work if you do it right.

Frank....

Archived