Making a DVD from Mini DVDs

sneubert1

Question

Hello:

I am new to this and would appreciate any help. First, thank you to all who have helped me with Roxio 6.

I just upgraded to Roxio Media Creator 8. My system is a Compaq Presario P4, 1 GIG of RAM, DVD player drive, DVD-RW (came with system), Drive (Sony double layer).

I would like to know what Roxio application to use, and how to use it, to make a DVD from a compilation of mini-DVDs. I have several mini-DVDs (20 mins. each of recording) of my family and I would like to add them to a standard-sized DVD.

I have used Disc Copier to transfer a mini-DVD to a standard DVD, but I cannot add to it.

Can anyone please tell me how to copy three seperate mini-DVDs to a standard DVD? I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thank you so much,

Lisa

8 answers to this question

Hello:

I am new to this and would appreciate any help. First, thank you to all who have helped me with Roxio 6.

I just upgraded to Roxio Media Creator 8. My system is a Compaq Presario P4, 1 GIG of RAM, DVD player drive, DVD-RW (came with system), Drive (Sony double layer).

I would like to know what Roxio application to use, and how to use it, to make a DVD from a compilation of mini-DVDs. I have several mini-DVDs (20 mins. each of recording) of my family and I would like to add them to a standard-sized DVD.

I have used Disc Copier to transfer a mini-DVD to a standard DVD, but I cannot add to it.

Can anyone please tell me how to copy three seperate mini-DVDs to a standard DVD? I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thank you so much,

Lisa

Insert your finalized mini-DVD into the drive and use Media Import.

To start Media Import, start at the Home menu, click on Applications and look for Media Import. In Media Import select the Video button and the device to import from (ie, your DVD drive). A list of videos should appear.

Highlight which video(s) you'd like to import, the capture setting (mpeg is probably preferred), where to save the file and a prefix. Click on Import Now button. After you've finished importing you'll wind up with a bunch of video files.

Next, use VideoWave to add special effects, scrolling text, etc to each video file. Then use MyDVD to combine all the individual video files into DVD format with menus, custom backgrounds etc. "Burn" to an ISO file. Then use Disc Copier to burn the ISO file to a DVD.

Lance

Insert your finalized mini-DVD into the drive and use Media Import.

To start Media Import, start at the Home menu, click on Applications and look for Media Import. In Media Import select the Video button and the device to import from (ie, your DVD drive). A list of videos should appear.

Highlight which video(s) you'd like to import, the capture setting (mpeg is probably preferred), where to save the file and a prefix. Click on Import Now button. After you've finished importing you'll wind up with a bunch of video files.

Next, use VideoWave to add special effects, scrolling text, etc to each video file. Then use MyDVD to combine all the individual video files into DVD format with menus, custom backgrounds etc. "Burn" to an ISO file. Then use Disc Copier to burn the ISO file to a DVD.

Lance

Lance - thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it. Lisa

Lance gave you a great overview. :)

I would suggest only one option. If you can, import the videos in the AVI format if you have the hard drive space. You will have an easier time working with the avi files and you may get better final sound sync and video quality (appearance). AVI files are pretty large so you need the space on your hard drive. My guess is that most people will be satisfied with the quality with the mpg capture but since you have a DV camera, you probably want a better quality.

Also please remember that you will get only one hour of best quality video on a standard DVD; two hours for a DL. You can fit more using the iso file with more than 60 minutes since it will reduce the quality to fit on that disc. You'll have to make that decision.

Lance - thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it. Lisa

Lance gave you a great overview. :)

I would suggest only one option. If you can, import the videos in the AVI format if you have the hard drive space. You will have an easier time working with the avi files and you may get better final sound sync and video quality (appearance). AVI files are pretty large so you need the space on your hard drive. My guess is that most people will be satisfied with the quality with the mpg capture but since you have a DV camera, you probably want a better quality.

Also please remember that you will get only one hour of best quality video on a standard DVD; two hours for a DL. You can fit more using the iso file with more than 60 minutes since it will reduce the quality to fit on that disc. You'll have to make that decision.

If they are the mini DVD discs, you don't have the option of importing as avi files. Only MPEG2.

Thanks Bruce, I don't have any of those fancy things. :)

Hello:

To Bruce & Steve and all the others if I missed your names - Thank you so much for all your help. I tried your suggestions (media import) and so far it works. I am still learning MY DVD so it's still a little slow for me, but it looks like it'll work.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it.

Lisa

Archived