Sign in to follow this  
eredhuin

"Interface Error -50: The connection is not stable" on macbook pro

Question

I get the following message from Toast 7.0.2 on my new intel macbook pro, in combination with an external DVD-burner (an NEC DVDRW ND3520A) which has never given me problems.

"Interface Error -50: The connection is not stable"

and the following message in my dmesg output:

Apr 17 18:27:19 my-computer kernel[0]: (59: coreservicesd)tfp: failed on 0:

ATHR: beacon miss causing loss of connection Addendum: Is this a wifi message?

I don't have this problem when burning CD roms on the external drive. I don't have problems with the internal drive either.

I've tried different cords, and used the USB2 and Firewire cabling (my external enclosure has both). Same problem.

Is this a Roxio problem, a hardware problem or an Apple Macbook problem? The macbook pro is the newest element of the problem space.

Edited by eredhuin

3 answers to this question

I am experiencing the same issue-"Interface Error -50: The connection is not stable," running Toast Titanium 7 on a PowerMac G4 using an external Lacie (DVR-106D) dvd burner. In addition, I am also getting a program lockup (eternally spinning cursor) when I click on the COPY tab to copy a previously burned DVD.

This is apparently a Toast issue, given the differences between our setups. I too do not have any problems when using the other tabs or when burning to CD's.

I get the following message from Toast 7.0.2 on my new intel macbook pro, in combination with an external DVD-burner (an NEC DVDRW ND3520A) which has never given me problems.

"Interface Error -50: The connection is not stable"

and the following message in my dmesg output:

ATHR: beacon miss causing loss of connection

I don't have this problem when burning CD roms.

I've tried different cords, and used the USB2 and Firewire cabling (my external enclosure has both). Same problem.

Is this a Roxio problem, a hardware problem or an Apple Macbook problem? The macbook pro is the newest element of the problem space.

If you want to see if it is a toast issue, choose to create a disc image and save it to the hard drive (instead of clicking on record, click on the file menu and choose the proper option - which I cant remember the name of, because I am at work in a PC :) )

If you can burn the disc image, it isnt a software problem. Try then burning from the image to the burner. If you still get a problem, check for recorder firmware updates, try other media, try another cable from the computer to the drive, and remove any other connected devices from the computer.

Edited by frenchtoastwithjam

If you want to see if it is a toast issue, choose to create a disc image and save it to the hard drive (instead of clicking on record, click on the file menu and choose the proper option - which I cant remember the name of, because I am at work in a PC :) )

If you can burn the disc image, it isnt a software problem. Try then burning from the image to the burner. If you still get a problem, check for recorder firmware updates, try other media, try another cable from the computer to the drive, and remove any other connected devices from the computer.

Using Toast I can successfully burn cds on the external burner. And DVD-Rs in the internal burner.

But for >4x DVD burns, or DL DVD's, i.e. those requiring external burners, I am stuck.

Edited by eredhuin