• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cannot Copy System Recovery Dvd

JHassan

Dear all

I am not sure why this is not working. I have noted that while reading running the project Roxio reports reading this system recovery DVD as 4.9 GB. Both the DVD -R & +R have max. 4.7 GB. I have gone and refreshed the recent firmware, still no joy.

How do you make a backup copy of this System Recovery DVD ? This is an orginal disk supplies by HP for Vista Home Premium system.

Look forward to see your comments.

JHassan

Did this Roxio software come preloaded on you HP, PC? Or did you buy a Retail version?

Now tell us what Roxio product your using? Then tell us the version #, help about from a application within the suite of programs.? Now in what application from the suite are you trying to copy your HP recovery DVD? Details, details, please...

The recovery DVD could be a DL DVD, capable of holding 8.5GB..

cd

I think CD that with OEM recovery discs they can do pretty much as they like (it usually states on the label that it's for one machine only). I know that my Fujitsu/Siemens laptop recovery disc that the installtaion key is 'built-in' as well as being activated

Other (older) recovery discs I've seen were 98SE which stopped dead if they weren't being used on a 100% identical machine, Compaq and HP ones (when they were two separate companies)

Game discs often have dummy 'bad sectors' to prevent copying - this may be what has happened here, especially as 'doze is reading the disc as 4.9 GB - the TOC has been modified in some way to prevent copying.

It's not DRM per se - just anti-cloning procedure.

Oh I copied the Compaq and HP ones - but they just wouldn't even work on another box (just as a note - it wasn't for any ulterior purpose - just as a backup in the youth club where we had a couple of other machines)

I've still a funny feeling the OEM has done something to the disc to prevent copying (I've seen it happen before, but mainly on games discs)

Edited by gi7omy

Dear JHassan,

Since we don't know what utilities you have, would you please go HERE and download a free copy of Disc Speed. It's a very useful program.

Run Disc Speed with the subject DVD in your drive, and click on the Disc Info tab. you should see a display of some of the information about your disc. The left side will look something like this:

post-208-1228079087.jpg

How many layers does your disc show?