• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

MB change with capture

dell@2bolo.co

Question

When creating a DVD in the DVD builder the size used by captured movies is always too large. Ex: I take a DVD and Capture the movie (non protected). There are no settings in the capture program to set resolution or audio quality. I then take that captured movie and insert it into the DVD builder. And the DVD builder show me that my project is beyond the 4.7GB – yet it came form a 4.7GB

Same problem with capturing video from a DVI tape and an analog tape. No matter what quality capturing I use to get the 40minutes of video, DVD builder says I’m over 4.7gb. And if it does not because I captured less, ex: a 10mb file becomes 2GB of used space on the DVD builder project.

How can adjust that?

5 answers to this question

Thanks James,

I will try your suggested technique.

However I still do not understand what "time addtion" occurs when I copy a DVD. If I use the Disk Copier it works well. But if I capture it and burn it there somewhere some "time additon" or MegaByte addition going on.

Dell

The OP suggests that he captured only 40 minutes of video as far as "time" is concerned. If DVD builder is capable of 60 minutes at best quality on a 4.7 GB media disk I would think that his 40 minutes should have worked. Using the 9 mbps rate x 60 s/m = 540 mbpm x 40 minutes = 21, 600 MB. Is that right James, or do I have it all screwed up some way ?

Frank....

When creating a DVD in the DVD builder the size used by captured movies is always too large. Ex: I take a DVD and Capture the movie (non protected). There are no settings in the capture program to set resolution or audio quality. I then take that captured movie and insert it into the DVD builder. And the DVD builder show me that my project is beyond the 4.7GB – yet it came form a 4.7GB

Same problem with capturing video from a DVI tape and an analog tape. No matter what quality capturing I use to get the 40minutes of video, DVD builder says I’m over 4.7gb. And if it does not because I captured less, ex: a 10mb file becomes 2GB of used space on the DVD builder project.

How can adjust that?

Space required is based on the TIME of the project and file size is a useless measure.

You may expect 60 minutes for a 4.7gb DVD at Best Quality. This also assumes a minimum of transitions or special effects added.

Anything beyond 60 minutes can be made to fit but at a cost of quality. The best way to achieve that is to burn the project to File instead of disc. Then use Disc Copier to burn that file and allow it to re-render the file to fit.

In V7, DC has more flexibility in compression rates than Builder does.

The OP suggests that he captured only 40 minutes of video as far as "time" is concerned. If DVD builder is capable of 60 minutes at best quality on a 4.7 GB media disk I would think that his 40 minutes should have worked. Using the 9 mbps rate x 60 s/m = 540 mbpm x 40 minutes = 21, 600 MB. Is that right James, or do I have it all screwed up some way ?

Frank....

I stopped doing the math years ago! By the way you left out the audio, menus transitions, background pictures, etc.

I don't know if what I suggested will absolutely resolve his problem, but it is something to try. If not we will dissect it further.

Thanks James,

I will try your suggested technique.

However I still do not understand what "time addtion" occurs when I copy a DVD. If I use the Disk Copier it works well. But if I capture it and burn it there somewhere some "time additon" or MegaByte addition going on.

Dell

No additional time is added but it is a function of the Time of play at the output bitrate.

For Best Quality, 9mbps is used by Builder, with 8mbps for Good and 7mbps for Medium.

Rather than trying to choose one and gamble on the results, we go the ISO file and Disc Copier route. It was designed with greater flexibility. (in V8 there are far more choices, but we still find Disc Copier does it best)

Don't fight with this too hard, this is how all the programs work and it is always hard when someone when first getting into video.

Archived