Convert To Dvcpro

Andy Beasom

Question

Hi, this is my first post and I have a question regarding video conversion. I have just purchased a Canon HG20 video camera, which records AVCHD. A lot of people have told me to convert the files to DVCProHD before importing into Final Cut Pro for editing. I do not have any MTS files handy, however I would have figured I could at least find where to do this in Toast 9.0.2.

Can someone please explain to me how to convert MTS files into DVCProHD. Also, for editing the video in Final Cut Pro, does anyone have a preference as to what his or her favorite codec is? AppleProRes, AIC, DVCPro?

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

Hi, this is my first post and I have a question regarding video conversion. I have just purchased a Canon HG20 video camera, which records AVCHD. A lot of people have told me to convert the files to DVCProHD before importing into Final Cut Pro for editing. I do not have any MTS files handy, however I would have figured I could at least find where to do this in Toast 9.0.2.

Can someone please explain to me how to convert MTS files into DVCProHD. Also, for editing the video in Final Cut Pro, does anyone have a preference as to what his or her favorite codec is? AppleProRes, AIC, DVCPro?

Thank you!

The way to do this is to add the AVCHD files (which will be .mts files) to Toast under the Convert Videos section. You'll then want to convert them to a QuickTime movie. Toast has built in presets for HDV 1080i and HDV 720p, which is probably not what you want. Since you have Final Cut Pro your complete list of codecs will be available under the QuickTime conversion windows.

Since I only have Final Cut Express I am limited to Apple Intermediate Codec, which I wouldn't suggest for you since you'll be limited to "Medium" quality through QuickTime conversion.

The way to do this is to add the AVCHD files (which will be .mts files) to Toast under the Convert Videos section. You'll then want to convert them to a QuickTime movie. Toast has built in presets for HDV 1080i and HDV 720p, which is probably not what you want. Since you have Final Cut Pro your complete list of codecs will be available under the QuickTime conversion windows.

Since I only have Final Cut Express I am limited to Apple Intermediate Codec, which I wouldn't suggest for you since you'll be limited to "Medium" quality through QuickTime conversion.

Thanks man! Pittsburgh, PA? That's where I am at. I got confused because from the device option I was selecting High Definition video for the option, and only seeing HDV, I did not think to look under quicktime.

I have another question you may be able to help me with. I have the bluray-hd dvd plug-in. I understand I can burn HD files to standard DVD. Can I just drag those MTS files into the video section, select either blu-ray disc or HD DVD on the left, and then change my source to DVD down by the big red button and sit back and watch it burn the MTS High Def files to DVD for playback on my PS3 or HD DVD player?

Thanks man! Pittsburgh, PA? That's where I am at. I got confused because from the device option I was selecting High Definition video for the option, and only seeing HDV, I did not think to look under quicktime.

I have another question you may be able to help me with. I have the bluray-hd dvd plug-in. I understand I can burn HD files to standard DVD. Can I just drag those MTS files into the video section, select either blu-ray disc or HD DVD on the left, and then change my source to DVD down by the big red button and sit back and watch it burn the MTS High Def files to DVD for playback on my PS3 or HD DVD player?

Yes, with only one condition. The maximum allowed bitrate for AVCHD on DVD (which is what you're doing creating a Blu-ray or HD DVD formatted DVD) is 18 Mbps. If you're AVCHD camera records at a bitrate higher than that (which I believe only the Canon HF11 does) then you'll need to record at a lower level to go straight to DVD. Other than that little caveat, you can do exactly what you're proposing and not have to re-encode things at all.