wesp16039x

Roxio Restore fails

Question

I just created a 2 DVD spanned backup of an image file. When I launch Roxio Restore, it bounces a couple of times, then just quits. There are no error messages - it just goes away. There does not appear to be a crash dump created.

How do I resolve this? Did I just waste two DVD's?

Mac OS X 10.4.6

2GB memory

Dual 1.25 Ghz MDD

Toast 7.0.2

11 answers to this question

I just created a 2 DVD spanned backup of an image file. When I launch Roxio Restore, it bounces a couple of times, then just quits. There are no error messages - it just goes away. There does not appear to be a crash dump created.

How do I resolve this? Did I just waste two DVD's?

Mac OS X 10.4.6

2GB memory

Dual 1.25 Ghz MDD

Toast 7.0.2

You know what? Their directions aren't very clear. Don't start "Toast". The "Roxio Restore" app was written to each disk in the span. Insert Disk 1. The disk mounts, "Roxio Restore" starts up, and the splash screen comes on. Double-click "Restore". If you want the whole span restored, ask to restore THEIR root folder. It will strip out the "***.spanned" folder names and copy your data as it was. When a disk is done "Restore" will eject it, and prompt for the next disk. After you insert it, the "Roxio Restore" splash screen comes up again. DON'T double-click, or it will start over at Disk 1 again. Just let it chew; it will go on copying. It's a little strange to have that "Click-Me" screen looking at you the whole time, though. Remember the old saying: "Look, but don't touch"? The only way I figured it out, on my second try the doorbell rang right after I put in Disk 2. When I came back, it was copying merrily.

Lou

Yes, I understand how to use it. That's not the problem. The Roxio Restore application aborts. I can't launch it, and thus can't select anything. When it launches, it bounces a couple of times. A second icon shows up in the dock and Roxio Restore immediately disappears (both icons in the dock go away).

What version of Toast are you using?

Search for Roxio Restore... what version of that is installed in your Library/Application Support folder?

I have the same problem with Roxio Restore as Newbie on 16 April and found the responses encouraging. But, cannot find Roxio Restore anywhere other than on spanned discs. I use MacosX 10.3.9 and Toast 7.0.1. Have spannned 3 DVD -R's and when I try to restore Restore bounces in the dock & disappears.

I have the same problem with Roxio Restore as Newbie on 16 April and found the responses encouraging. But, cannot find Roxio Restore anywhere other than on spanned discs. I use MacosX 10.3.9 and Toast 7.0.1. Have spannned 3 DVD -R's and when I try to restore Restore bounces in the dock & disappears.

I think you need to upgrade to 7.0.2 but that will mean that you will have to burn the disks again.

You don't have to re-burn the discs, you just have to use Toast 7.0.2. It will install an updated version of Restore on the system and that version will be used when Restore on the disc is launched.

You don't have to re-burn the discs, you just have to use Toast 7.0.2. It will install an updated version of Restore on the system and that version will be used when Restore on the disc is launched.

Thanx guys, but no joy. Have just upgraded to 7.0.2 and I still get the same bouncing, disappearing Restore. As it is the one on the disk I'm activating it will obviously be the same version as before. Is Restore suppposed to be somewhere on my hard drive after the upgrade as I've done a search & can't find it anywhere other than on the previously burnt DVD.

Thanx guys, but no joy. Have just upgraded to 7.0.2 and I still get the same bouncing, disappearing Restore. As it is the one on the disk I'm activating it will obviously be the same version as before. Is Restore suppposed to be somewhere on my hard drive after the upgrade as I've done a search & can't find it anywhere other than on the previously burnt DVD.

I've now made a new spanned set of DVD's using Toast 7.0.2. with exactly the same result when trying to restore i.e. a bouncing and disappearing Roxio Restore icon. So by now I've wasted 8 DVD's and its getting beyond a joke - after all Roxio claimed last year that Toast 7 could easily create and restore spanned disks. Does anyone out there have a solution please?

I've now made a new spanned set of DVD's using Toast 7.0.2. with exactly the same result when trying to restore i.e. a bouncing and disappearing Roxio Restore icon. So by now I've wasted 8 DVD's and its getting beyond a joke - after all Roxio claimed last year that Toast 7 could easily create and restore spanned disks. Does anyone out there have a solution please?

Have you tried deleteing the prefs and trying again? I have not had a problem with spanned disks running 7.0.2

Have you tried deleteing the prefs and trying again? I have not had a problem with spanned disks running 7.0.2

Thanx for your response :). Yes I have, but still no joy. Have even deleted all I could find of Roxio 7.0.1 and installlled 7.0.2 from scratch & that didn't work either. Will have another go at reinstalling and make sure everything Roxio properly cleaned out before doing another install. Will let you know, but am now contemplating other ways. Is it possible to join these files from Console bypassing Roxio Restore.

If you go to the User/Library/Application Support/Roxio folder, there should be a copy of Roxio Restore. Because Restore can't be ran off the disc, Restore copies itself to this folder and runs locally.

The version in the Roxio folder should be 1.0.2. If it is not, launch Toast 7.0.2 and and run the setup assisatant again. Toast should install Restore 1.0.2 in the folder.

When you launch Restore on the disc, even if it is an older version, the newer version in the Roxio folder should launch.

You don't need to launch off the disc though. You can just launch the app from the Roxio folder and it should detect the disc catalog.

If you still can't get it to work, you can use the terminal to store the split files. If the files are not split, you can just copy the files from the disc.

In the terminal, you can use the CAT command to cover the .spanned files.

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/000007T

How to join a split file using the "cat' command.

Copy all spanned parts from the various discs into the same new folder on your hard disk. For example - if you have a file split into three parts, copy Part1.spanned, Part2.spanned, and Part3.spanned into a new folder on your hard discdisk.

Open Terminal application

Navigate to the folder containing all the parts

Assuming there are three parts as named above type:

cat Part2.spanned Part3.spanned >> Part1.spanned

This appends parts 2 & 3 to part1, so Part1 will then be the complete file.

Edited by freshburn