Cds Not Read On Other Computer

DSS410

I have loads of family photos archived on CDs. I think I used some version of Easy CD Creator - it was preloaded on my old computer. When each CD became full, I would eject it with the option to close it so that it could be read on most other devices. One reason was so we could take it to the store to have prints made.

Well, the old computer crashed, I don't think I can get it going again, at least not long enough. I just tried viewing some of the CDs on my laptop, and low and behold, no files. The laptop thinks the discs are new and asks if I want to open a new folder on the recordable CD.

I've got an email ticket in to tech support for a similar issue - thought I just needed to be able to "close" the last CD I was using prior to crash, so I asked tech support if there was a utility I could d/l, or if I could d/l the whole program again.

Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks.

David

It sounds as if you were using Drag to Disc (or one of its earlier incarnations) and that will require the same app to open the files. You have just discovered one of the great pitfalls of packet writing unfortunately.

However, one of these two apps may be able to help (no guarantees but the download versions will tell you if they can read the discs - if they can, then you can purchase the full version to actually do the extraction)

http://www.cdroller.com/

http://www.isobuster.com/

Thanks for the advice and the links.

Well, I was able to "put a bandage" on part of the problem. Found my original application discs from the old computer and they had Easy CD Creator 5 on them. I installed them on the laptop and them d/l'd the update. So now at least I can read the archived discs. BUT the last one I was working on still won't register.

Is there a better way to archive all these photos? So far, I have 4 "full" standard 700MB CD-R's.

David

If you can, use Creator to make the disc - that way it will be readable on all machines. Just remember to tell it to close the disc.

I actually find it easier (in case I forget) to make an image file (.iso) and open that with disc copier as .iso files are always closed ;)

While you are at it, it would be a good idea to copy each of the DirectCD disc's data to a new CD using Data Project.

Packet-Writing has a tendancy to decide to quit working, among other problems. The builtl-in WinXP burning may work as if it is the same, but it burns in the much safer Sessions format, like Data Project. I'd suggest using it or something newer that also uses Sessions for future saves - you can make multi-session data discs with ECDC 5, but some of the hassles have been eliminated with later Versions.

Lynn

Is there a better way to archive all these photos? So far, I have 4 "full" standard 700MB CD-R's.

David

In addition to putting those photos on a CD with Creator Classic, you might want to consider putting them on a second hard drive ( internal or external)

Also, consider using one of the free online photo services to store those photos. Most of them allow you to create 'private' albums which are not viewable by everyone on the net.