Unrecoverable Device Error

Leonard P

Question

I have EMC 9 with XP Home. I have been successfully burning VideoWave projects combined with slideshows in MyDVD for a while but am now receiving this error when trying to burn in MyDVD “An unrecoverable device error occurred. Error while Encoding Movie”. Following are the things I have done with no success, defragmentation, removed 14GB of files, updated firmware, disabled startup items, tried to burn from a disc image and updated direct x. After the clean up work I tested burning a 5 picture slide show and had success but still cannot burn my big project. I had already burned 2 originals of this project then got this error on the 3rd attempt.

Any suggested next steps? My last thought is to purchase an external burner but before spending that money thought I would check the discussion forum.

Thanks for your help.

6 answers to this question

It could be one of the files you are using is corrupt in some way - check at just what point in the encoding process this happens and remove that from the list.

Also, you shouldn't have to keep encoding the same set - first time, use the option of burn as image file and use that to make the discs - that way it only needs encoded once and it does cut down a lot of the time spent re-encoding

If you actually have a final working copy on DVD - why not just copy that to the hard drive as a.iso file and use that instead?

It could be one of the files you are using is corrupt in some way - check at just what point in the encoding process this happens and remove that from the list.

Also, you shouldn't have to keep encoding the same set - first time, use the option of burn as image file and use that to make the discs - that way it only needs encoded once and it does cut down a lot of the time spent re-encoding

If you actually have a final working copy on DVD - why not just copy that to the hard drive as a.iso file and use that instead?

I will try all of your suggestions and let you know if it works. Thank you!

This morning I was able to burn MyDVD project. Then tried to burn another copy and received the same error message “An unrecoverable device error occurred. Error while Encoding Movie”.

I tried the .iso file solutions, unfortunately none of them solved my issue. I was able to save MyDVD project as an .iso file but received the same error “unrecoverable device” when trying to burn the file. I also created an .iso file from the working DVD but received this error when trying to burn the file “there was a problem writing to the disc”.

I called Roxio, they said if I purchase Creator 2009 (ver 11) I will not have this issue anymore. I am not in favor of paying another $100 for the software.

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks again.

This morning I was able to burn MyDVD project. Then tried to burn another copy and received the same error message “An unrecoverable device error occurred. Error while Encoding Movie”.

I tried the .iso file solutions, unfortunately none of them solved my issue. I was able to save MyDVD project as an .iso file but received the same error “unrecoverable device” when trying to burn the file. I also created an .iso file from the working DVD but received this error when trying to burn the file “there was a problem writing to the disc”.

I called Roxio, they said if I purchase Creator 2009 (ver 11) I will not have this issue anymore. I am not in favor of paying another $100 for the software.

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks again.

Did you reboot in between burns?

If the iso is being created the software is doing what it's suppsoed to - the error could be the drive itself being unable to actually burn

Download this (free) program and see if that will write the iso to disc for you. If that also fails, then you have a hardware problem

http://www.imgburn.com/