• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can I Improve The Music

Barbara V

Question

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help. I been working on a slideshow for a wedding Saturday. To make a long story short I finally have a finished and acceptable project. The bride request String Orchestra music. On my first try I used a HP DVD+r 8X RW. The results were horrible. For lack of a better term the music was crackling. The preview on the computer played beautifully. It was viewing it on the TV that I had the problems. Also one slide froze, than the screen went black and then the slide show continued.

My second try was using an HP dvd+r 16x RW. The slide show itself played just as I intend but the music is still a little off. Is there anything I can do to improve it?

I do see what you guys are saying as far as using a good quality DVD. I first brought Sony DVDs but when I tried to burn, it would not even recognize it so I returned them for the HP. I wanted to use the Verbatim as you suggested but all I could find was DVDs that said printable. Would this have been acceptable?

Another question. I download a patch but I do not see an improvement. What did it improve? I am still getting encoding error messages when burning but if I slow down the speed it burns fine.

Thanks for you time and help.

8 answers to this question

Reverse order

The patch was to correct a problem with MS dotNET 3.5 SP1 (that removed a needed file) and it did nothing else really

Printable DVDs are just standard DVDs with a matt surface on the back to allow them to be fed in a caddy to a printer that is capable of directly printing the label on them (only Epson printers are directly supported in Creator tho)

The music - Did you check it before adding (ie, is it crackly on the computer)?

Depending on the version you got, if you have the sound program (SoundSoap), try running it through that first to clean it up

Edited by gi7omy

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help. I been working on a slideshow for a wedding Saturday. To make a long story short I finally have a finished and acceptable project. The bride request String Orchestra music. On my first try I used a HP DVD+r 8X RW. The results were horrible. For lack of a better term the music was crackling. The preview on the computer played beautifully. It was viewing it on the TV that I had the problems. Also one slide froze, than the screen went black and then the slide show continued.

My second try was using an HP dvd+r 16x RW. The slide show itself played just as I intend but the music is still a little off. Is there anything I can do to improve it?

I do see what you guys are saying as far as using a good quality DVD. I first brought Sony DVDs but when I tried to burn, it would not even recognize it so I returned them for the HP. I wanted to use the Verbatim as you suggested but all I could find was DVDs that said printable. Would this have been acceptable?

Another question. I download a patch but I do not see an improvement. What did it improve? I am still getting encoding error messages when burning but if I slow down the speed it burns fine.

Thanks for you time and help.

Your computer may not be up to encoding (rendering) and burning at the same time. First defrag your hard drive and make sure that there is plenty of free space.

In MyDVD when you go to burn, check to burn an ISO (image) file (Uncheck everything else). Make sure you have nothing else running at the same time - don't read e-mail, don't play games, disconnect from the internet and shut down (not just pause) your anti-virus. Make sure you name that ISO file and where you want it placed. Once that is complete, open Creator Classic and copy it to the good quality blank. The advantages of the ISO file are 1) It separates the burning from the encoding and 2) If anyone wants a copy, you just copy the ISO file (the project does not have to be re-encoded).

A printable DVD is one where, if you have the right printer, you can "paint" a lable on the disc.

Your computer may not be up to encoding (rendering) and burning at the same time. First defrag your hard drive and make sure that there is plenty of free space.

In MyDVD when you go to burn, check to burn an ISO (image) file (Uncheck everything else). Make sure you have nothing else running at the same time - don't read e-mail, don't play games, disconnect from the internet and shut down (not just pause) your anti-virus. Make sure you name that ISO file and where you want it placed. Once that is complete, open Creator Classic and copy it to the good quality blank. The advantages of the ISO file are 1) It separates the burning from the encoding and 2) If anyone wants a copy, you just copy the ISO file (the project does not have to be re-encoded).

A printable DVD is one where, if you have the right printer, you can "paint" a lable on the disc.

Sorry, I am just getting back to you but I was consumed with finishing this slideshow as the wedding is in a few hours. Thank you both for trying to help me and for the info on Printable DVDs.

I did defrag as suggested plus shut down my virus program and I also tried all the other suggestions. I realize that doing anything on the computer while burning is a big no-no. Please, I am just about breathing hoping and praying it will work. :)

No, the music was not crackly on the computer it played just fine BUT it was an inexpensive CD, ($5.00) even the titles were wrong. Any way, I took the music off and added other music and I am very happy with the results. BUT, oh my gosh the workaround I had to do to finally get a good finished product.

If I saved the movie in My DVD and opened it to burn I would receive encoding error messages. So in MY DVD, I clicked on Add New Movie, and opened the slide show I created in Video Wave. If I should lose the original DVD I will have to go through these extra steps changing the background, text, color etc. but at least I know now I can get a finished product this way.

At one point, I was getting a horrendous looking slideshow then I noticed that my slides took on a different look in the Storyline in Video Wave. They looked fuzzy to say the least. So I deleted them all and started all over and when I burned using the steps above I was happy with the results.

I would love to take your suggestion as far as checking ISO but I don't see where that is an option. Am I missing something?

I wasted 12 DVDs trying to make this work. I thought no biggie as the disks are RW. When I tried to erase them I get a message that the disk cannot be erase or something to that effect. Do you know why?

I know I left a novel here, but I know I'm not the only one who is having problems with 2009. I am grateful that I did get a finished product. I did not have the problem that others had with missing slides. Another thing to be grateful for.

Thanks again for all your help.

Open the tools utility section in the home app and there should be a setting there to erase an RW disc (I don't have 2009 on this machine so I can't recall exactly where it is, but it is there).

To make an iso image - when you select burn, go to advanced (or options) and there should be two check boxes - one (default) is to burn to the disc and the other is to create an image file on the hard drive - uncheck the first and check the second. That will give you the image file and that can be loaded in to the emulated drive (you would have to set that up first)

The el cheapo CD - try converting the files to wav or mp3 and store them on the hard drive - then yopu can play them there and see if they are still crackly - if not, then import them with the project

I wasted 12 DVDs trying to make this work. I thought no biggie as the disks are RW. When I tried to erase them I get a message that the disk cannot be erase or something to that effect. Do you know why?

Are you sure they are erasable discs?

Are they labeled as DVD+RW or are they labeled DVD+R with an RW symbol also on the disc? If the latter, then they are not erasable discs. Only those labeled as DVD+RW or DVD-RW are erasable.

I only mentioned the RW symbol as that has come up in the past. It's on all DVD+ discs, so it can get confusing, and others have thought they had an erasable disc when they really didn't.

Open the tools utility section in the home app and there should be a setting there to erase an RW disc (I don't have 2009 on this machine so I can't recall exactly where it is, but it is there).

To make an iso image - when you select burn, go to advanced (or options) and there should be two check boxes - one (default) is to burn to the disc and the other is to create an image file on the hard drive - uncheck the first and check the second. That will give you the image file and that can be loaded in to the emulated drive (you would have to set that up first)

The el cheapo CD - try converting the files to wav or mp3 and store them on the hard drive - then yopu can play them there and see if they are still crackly - if not, then import them with the project

Ok, thanks I now know how to make an ISO file and I will give this a try for sure.

El-Cheapo is right. :lol: It was converted to mp3 and it did sound good on computer but the TV was a different story. Besides that, my daughter and boyfriend walked in at the time I was playing it. My daughter said it sounded like funeral music and her boyfriend asked me if one of the songs was from Star Wars plus there was the annoying crackling sound. I decided to squash the music and with the bride's mothers permission I choose the music.

BTW, the slide show with the new music played beautifully at the wedding. No problems whatsoever. Some were even crying at their tables by the time it was over. Just the effect I was looking for. :D

Thanks again for your help.

Are you sure they are erasable discs?

Are they labeled as DVD+RW or are they labeled DVD+R with an RW symbol also on the disc? If the latter, then they are not erasable discs. Only those labeled as DVD+RW or DVD-RW are erasable.

I only mentioned the RW symbol as that has come up in the past. It's on all DVD+ discs, so it can get confusing, and others have thought they had an erasable disc when they really didn't.

Thanks Larry for clearning that up for me. Yes it is confusing. The DVDs say DVD+R on the label but RW on the DVD itself. Hmmm, I wonder what the RW on the DVD stands for. Thanks again, you saved me a lot of time.

Thanks Larry for clearning that up for me. Yes it is confusing. The DVDs say DVD+R on the label but RW on the DVD itself. Hmmm, I wonder what the RW on the DVD stands for. Thanks again, you saved me a lot of time.

Hello Barbara,

The confusion is caused by a clash of standards similar to the VHS vs. Betamax fight with VCRs a while back, or the more recent BluRay vs. DVDHD format war which was won by BluRay.

The two warring factions here are the DVD Forum [a slow and officious organization promoting the DVD- or DVD-dash format] and the DVD+RW Alliance [which promotes the technically better DVD+ or plus format]. The Forum uses a picture of a DVD on their dash discs, and the Alliance uses an RW symbol on all their plus discs because they invented the RW disc.

It's a pain, isn't it :)

Brendon

Hello Barbara,

The confusion is caused by a clash of standards similar to the VHS vs. Betamax fight with VCRs a while back, or the more recent BluRay vs. DVDHD format war which was won by BluRay.

The two warring factions here are the DVD Forum [a slow and officious organization promoting the DVD- or DVD-dash format] and the DVD+RW Alliance [which promotes the technically better DVD+ or plus format]. The Forum uses a picture of a DVD on their dash discs, and the Alliance uses an RW symbol on all their plus discs because they invented the RW disc.

It's a pain, isn't it :)

Brendon

Thanks for the explanation Brandon. Pain is putting it midly. :)

Thanks for the explanation Brandon. Pain is putting it midly. :)

Sorry, it is only 5:10 in the morning. I meant "mildly" not "midly." :rolleyes: