• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Program Crashing

Chesterfield

Question

I am very pleased with Creator 2009 Special Edition, having figured how to to almost everything of importance. However I have a lot of trouble with my computer crashing (or hanging, whatever we want to call it). It is a New Lenovo R61 with plenty of memory.

For instance, when in the "trimming" mode, if I just move the handle forward or backward just a little too fast...that's it. I'm frozen.

And my #2 big problem is in "Capturing" and "CD Burning". With the "capture" it may freeze and nothing will help. I will get the remark " program not responding and will have to close my computer with the button switch."With the "Burning" it will say " error in encoding". The most interesting thing is that the next day, following the exact same procedure I may be able to "Capture" without the slightest problem.and several times in a row. With the "Burning" I am a little less lucky. If and when I can burn one disc I know I can't be lucky twice....until another day.

Any suggestion anyone ?

4 answers to this question

Thanks for your suggestions.

Actually, I have not had much of a chance to try much of anything as the program decided to close after I opened it up and started looking at my production.

I pushed "play" which worked ok, then used the fast forward button which worked for less than one minute of video time and then it froze...When I reopened it I got the message "Roxio has encountered a problem and must close" and I have not been able to re-open it since that.

My computer specs are as follows"

LENOVO R61-i

INT.PENT.DUALCORPROC.T2370

INTGMA X3100,GM965S-V,PCIE

2GB PC2-5300 667 MHZ 2DIMM

160GB HDD-7200 RPM

DVD REC 8X MAX ULTRABAYENH

The only Program I have running while doing my Video work is Norton which I hesitate to deactivate because I'm not sure it will be easy to reactivate. I am not super knowledgeable in computers I must confess !...

I must say when the "Capturing" works (Thanks to Roxio USB capture card) it works like a charm.

I am transferring Analog 8mm video. Until now I had never been able to get a straight answer as to the possiblity of doing this or with what device.

I appreciate your help,

Chesterfield

Thanks for your suggestions.

Actually, I have not had much of a chance to try much of anything as the program decided to close after I opened it up and started looking at my production.

I pushed "play" which worked ok, then used the fast forward button which worked for less than one minute of video time and then it froze...When I reopened it I got the message "Roxio has encountered a problem and must close" and I have not been able to re-open it since that.

My computer specs are as follows"

LENOVO R61-i

INT.PENT.DUALCORPROC.T2370

INTGMA X3100,GM965S-V,PCIE

2GB PC2-5300 667 MHZ 2DIMM

160GB HDD-7200 RPM

DVD REC 8X MAX ULTRABAYENH

The only Program I have running while doing my Video work is Norton which I hesitate to deactivate because I'm not sure it will be easy to reactivate. I am not super knowledgeable in computers I must confess !...

I must say when the "Capturing" works (Thanks to Roxio USB capture card) it works like a charm.

I am transferring Analog 8mm video. Until now I had never been able to get a straight answer as to the possiblity of doing this or with what device.

I appreciate your help,

Chesterfield

You will probably continue to have problems as long as Norton is activated while you are installing software or doing a registry clean. Contact them on how to temporarily shut it down (not just pause). Then do this after disconnecting from the internet (push the off button on your modem).

Clean (uninstall) install.

I am very pleased with Creator 2009 Special Edition, having figured how to to almost everything of importance. However I have a lot of trouble with my computer crashing (or hanging, whatever we want to call it). It is a New Lenovo R61 with plenty of memory.

For instance, when in the "trimming" mode, if I just move the handle forward or backward just a little too fast...that's it. I'm frozen.

And my #2 big problem is in "Capturing" and "CD Burning". With the "capture" it may freeze and nothing will help. I will get the remark " program not responding and will have to close my computer with the button switch."With the "Burning" it will say " error in encoding". The most interesting thing is that the next day, following the exact same procedure I may be able to "Capture" without the slightest problem.and several times in a row. With the "Burning" I am a little less lucky. If and when I can burn one disc I know I can't be lucky twice....until another day.

Any suggestion anyone ?

Patience? If the computer is still trying to carry out a command and you add several more, it will lock up.

What else do you have running while doing video work? Set your anti-virus to not scan items already on your hard drive. Go into Video Wave or My DVD and select tools from the top menu, then options and put the dot next to software. That will make up for some video card/chip deficiency.

Memory is typically not the issue - the video card/chip is. See if there is an update for your chip from Lenovo (here). The computer is new to you but it may have been sitting on a shelf for months.

If you have the Celeron chip, it is bottom end regardless of what the speed says. You did not post the model number so I can't tell what kind of performance you should expect.

Archived