• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Windows Sees Appendable Disk as Full

lwood7@cfl.rr.com

Question

When I make a CD-R Data Disk, Windows Explorer erroneously says the disk is full with no free space even though there is space left on the disk. I can go to the Creator 8 Suite home page and append data to the disk. This happens to disks made with Drag and Drop also. However, Windows correctly shows the free space on CD-RW disks. Is there something that can be done so that Windows Explorer will correctly show the amount of free space left on a CD-R Data Disk?

2 answers to this question

When I make a CD-R Data Disk, Windows Explorer erroneously says the disk is full with no free space even though there is space left on the disk. I can go to the Creator 8 Suite home page and append data to the disk. This happens to disks made with Drag and Drop also. However, Windows correctly shows the free space on CD-RW disks. Is there something that can be done so that Windows Explorer will correctly show the amount of free space left on a CD-R Data Disk?

Huh? If you burned the appendable disc in EMC 8, why would you think that Windows Explorer would/should recognize that? You are doing nothing wrong.

You need to understand then Windows doesn't really know much about writable discs. When you create a Data CD, the format is the same as a commercially pressed CD-ROM disc. As far as Windows knows, it's a Read-Only disc, and a Read-Only disc has no free space. Utilities like Easy Media Creator know how to tell a CD writer to query the disc for actual available space, but Windows Explorer doesn't. It "knows" that the CDFS file system of a CD is Read Only, so once it gathers the amount of used space, it "knows" that there can't be any free space left.

So, as was said, there's nothing wrong, and there's no way to "fix" Windows Explorer. You need to use utilities like EMC to display the amount of free space left on a recordable CD.

Hope that helps!

Archived