On cruise control now

golinux

Question

Just want to report that everything has finally fallen into place. VideoWave is working well with only an occasional hiccup. After editing and putting things together in DVD Builder, I burn an ISO image and then to disk. I solved the audio sync problem by splitting the 24 minute segments into shorter pieces (around 8 min).

I'm still not thrilled by the 4+ hours it takes to encode about 110 minutes but have learned to live with it. I just turn off the monitor and forget about it. Fortunately, I have two older computers that will get me online for email and basic browsing so I'm not totally cut off.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped getting me up and running.

Now I need to take care of the overheating processor!

13 answers to this question

Just want to report that everything has finally fallen into place. VideoWave is working well with only an occasional hiccup. After editing and putting things together in DVD Builder, I burn an ISO image and then to disk. I solved the audio sync problem by splitting the 24 minute segments into shorter pieces (around 8 min).

I'm still not thrilled by the 4+ hours it takes to encode about 110 minutes but have learned to live with it. I just turn off the monitor and forget about it. Fortunately, I have two older computers that will get me online for email and basic browsing so I'm not totally cut off.

You are welcome.

What kind of CPU temps are you getting, when you are encoding. If you are less than 140 degrees F, it isn't really bad. If you are really worried about the heat, you can get a new, high quality heatsink and fan to replace the stock heatsink and fan. Just make sure that you clean the CPU and use Artic Silver 5, thermal paste, or an equivalent. Do some reading on the subject, if you decide to go that route and are unfamiliar with changing out the old fan.

4+ hours to encode 110 minutes is not bad at all. I do all my encoding overnight, I only wish there was a way to set up a batch encode in DVD Builder. :)

If you are less than 140 degrees F, it isn't really bad.
It's bad . . . running about 73 degrees C (163 F) for normal activities. After 4 hours of encoding it was up to 86 C (186 F)! Asus Probe is going nuts!!!

If you are really worried about the heat, you can get a new, high quality heatsink and fan to replace the stock heatsink and fan. Just make sure that you clean the CPU and use Artic Silver 5, thermal paste, or an equivalent. Do some reading on the subject, if you decide to go that route and are unfamiliar with changing out the old fan.
I'm a little phobic about hardware so tomorrow I'm taking it in to the guys who put it together last year. I have an idea of what the options are - Artic Silver, new fan etc. So once they take a look, we can figure out which way to go.

4+ hours to encode 110 minutes is not bad at all. I do all my encoding overnight . . .
It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone! I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the computer on overnight but I can see how for some that would be an attractive option.

It's bad . . . running about 73 degrees C (163 F) for normal activities. After 4 hours of encoding it was up to 86 C (186 F)! Asus Probe is going nuts!!!

To refresh your memory on my system specs:

XP Pro, 1GB RAM, P4 2.8Ghz, Asus P4800SE, NVidia GeForce MX 4000 and plenty of disk space

Way to hot! At these temps even a Prescott should be throttling it's self down or locking up.

You have a serious heat issue that needs attention! Don't even run it until you get it looked at!

cdanteek

Way to hot! At these temps even a Prescott should be throttling it's self down or locking up.

You have a serious heat issue that needs attention! Don't even run it until you get it looked at!

cdanteek

It will be in triage in a few hours!

It will be in triage in a few hours!

I hope it hasn't ran that hot for a year! "I'm taking it in to the guys who put it together last year"

If so my guess they did not remove the thin layer of plastic, that comes over the stock Intel heat sink

tape. Or it's not seated correctly.

cdanteek

I hope it hasn't ran that hot for a year! "I'm taking it in to the guys who put it together last year"

If so my guess they did not remove the thin layer of plastic, that comes over the stock Intel heat sink

tape. Or it's not seated correctly.

cdanteek

It hasn't. I've been keeping track of it regularly. The 'guys' who put it together are pros - they provide boxes for Motorola and other local companies - and know what they are doing. Bad news is that the processor was DOA. :) Good news it that it's still under Intel warranty. Gotta go deal with that now.

How does one know if the computer is too hot? Where do you look for or see this information?

Do a google on Motherboard Monitor (I think PC World has it) and download it for free. There's lots of similar freebies out there.

Some BIOS's have some of this built in to check the temps.

How does one know if the computer is too hot? Where do you look for or see this information?

I use my Asus mother board monitor Asus probe. The free one pcostanza recommended mother board monitor. And run a Aerogate III Hd cooler and function panel, with 4 temp probes and 4 fan speed monitors.

Anything close or above 70C 158F on a P4 Prescott, I would tend to quickly!

cdanteek

I use my Asus mother board monitor Asus probe. The free one pcostanza recommended mother board monitor. And run a Aerogate III Hd cooler and function panel, with 4 temp probes and 4 fan speed monitors.

Anything close or above 70C 158F on a P4 Prescott, I would tend to quickly!

cdanteek

Thank you for your reply. However, this is all Greek to me. Can you give me a more general reply? I have a Medion PC running XP Home, 2.80 Pentium 4. Where can I find my mother board monitor?

Thank you for your reply. However, this is all Greek to me. Can you give me a more general reply? I have a Medion PC running XP Home, 2.80 Pentium 4. Where can I find my mother board monitor?

Google it! Like I said before, PC World had it on their site (pcworld.com) and you can probably find it on many sites.

O.K. I have downloaded the program to monitor my motherboard. Thanks so much. I really appreciate your taking the time to help!

Archived