• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Ink Spinner effect

d_deweywright

I like the looks of that way better than what my "LightScribe" disks look like.

Frank....

I suspect it's faster to print this way too, a couple minutes for a full disc... And in full color.

I'm going to have to try doing one in color. Maybe just putting some colored dots around the whole disc, then "spin it out". Maybe I'll do that tonight. I'll post the results.

Exactly what I was thinking. :)

Looking closely at the disc, none of the ink trails have gone past the edge of the disc. I'm very sure that none of it has "splattered" off the disc into the drive, so, I'm not worried about that. It's not like it's a big "droplet" that's being spun around like the "Spin Art" things, where you can see the paint all over the sides. This is a lot more controlled.

Actually, if you've ever seen CD-R discs being produced, that's how the lacquer is applied on the top of the reflective layer. A controlled "bead" of lacquer is applied to the center of the disc at a slow speed. Then the disc is spun up to a fast speed and that bead spreads evenly over the surface. Pretty cool to watch. Then the top surface is cured.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Oh, and here's some color added to it... (I'm still not worried about ink in the drive, but I won't do it when I'm printing out at the edge.) :huh:

Now that's a really cool looking label, I must say !

I'm still just a bit skeptical about ink inside my drive even if it looks like it never gets past the edge of the CD itself. Ya, I know, one of these days you will have a patient on the process and can say "See, I told you so" !! I think you were a genious just to think about making a label that way :)

Frank....

Now that's a really cool looking label, I must say !

I'm still just a bit skeptical about ink inside my drive even if it looks like it never gets past the edge of the CD itself. Ya, I know, one of these days you will have a patient on the process and can say "See, I told you so" !! I think you were a genious just to think about making a label that way :)

Frank....

Heh! Accidents make for the best form of genious. (There wasn't any thought involved, initially.) If it makes anyone feel better, I'm using my CD-ROM drive to spin it out, not either of my writers.

I do like the "3-D" effect you get from the oval shapes. And it takes a few seconds for the ink to "trail". I initially just let the disc spin up so it was mounted, then ejected it, after adding the color printing, and it hadn't spread out much. So I had to spin it up again and keep it going for maybe 30 seconds or so before it got to where you see it now.

Guest mlpasley
And it takes a few seconds for the ink to "trail". I initially just let the disc spin up so it was mounted, then ejected it, after adding the color printing, and it hadn't spread out much. So I had to spin it up again and keep it going for maybe 30 seconds or so before it got to where you see it now.

Obviously, not a fast drying ink if you had time to take it out and spin it again.

I like the ovals too. I'll bet a star would be cool too.

Does your printer put on more than the normal amount of ink? I know the one I have will put on more ink depending on the print settings. Or is it the surface of the DVD that causes the ink to have a long drying time? Unfortunately, I don't have a printer that will print on DVD so I can't test it. (Although I haven't really looked to see if there's a way around the paper feed.)

Obviously, not a fast drying ink if you had time to take it out and spin it again.

I like the ovals too. I'll bet a star would be cool too.

Does your printer put on more than the normal amount of ink? I know the one I have will put on more ink depending on the print settings. Or is it the surface of the DVD that causes the ink to have a long drying time? Unfortunately, I don't have a printer that will print on DVD so I can't test it. (Although I haven't really looked to see if there's a way around the paper feed.)

Printer settings were for "text", so, if anything, it should have been putting less ink than with the "photo" settings. But it did seem to be printing longer than I would have expected for text, so maybe the CD/DVD media setting automatically sets it for more ink. (Epson R200 with a bulk ink feed setup.)

I think I recall someone else on another list saying they really need to sit overnight to be dry enough to handle without smearing. I'm sure that's a property of the coating. I know I don't have to wait that long when print photos onto glossy photo paper. They're mostly dry on the way out, except for the National Geographic 100 year archival paper. That takes longer to dry.

Archived