One Microsoft security patch released this week is causing Internet Explorer lock-ups, Windows hangs and system crashes

The Highlander

One Microsoft security patch released this week is causing Internet Explorer lock-ups, Windows hangs and system crashes for some IT administrators and partners

MS06-015 is one of five patches Microsoft released Tuesday to correct, among other things, a "critical" Windows Explorer vulnerability that hackers could use to execute code remotely.

But that security patch contains a new file — named Verclsid.exe — that conflicts with Hewlett-Packard printers, scanners and cameras, one Microsoft security official acknowledged on Microsoft's online technical support site.

"We've determined that the majority of the issues people are having with MS06-015/KB908531 are due to a bad interaction between the security update and a software component included with various HP hardware devices, including but not limited to printers, scanners, and cameras," wrote Steven Hui, a Microsoft spokesperson on TechNet who fielded questions Thursday from numerous irritated customers and IT administrators on its online technical help site.

A myriad of users flocked to Microsoft's online technical support site for help late this week claiming to numerous problems including systems IE lock-ups that occurred after installing the MS06-015 patch. The issues did not clear up even after reboot, some said.

Some claimed the issues were not isolated to systems connected to HP hardware.

In many cases, the problem required users and partners to uninstall the patch or perform system restores to get systems back up and running.

"Customers are reporting IE stops working and numerous instances of verclsid.exe show up,'" said Brian Bergin, president of Terabyte Computers. "To fix yet another security issue with IE, [Microsoft] has verclsid.exe they've introduced but obviously didn't test."

"If you right click on the desktop now it freezes," said another source who asked not to be named.

Microsoft's Hui recommended customers modify the registry or shut down the hardware process to avoid the conflict, but later noted that the second option would only work for users currently logged-in.

It remains unclear how widespread the problem is for business users and consumers that downloaded the security update.

At least four Microsoft solution providers contacted by CRN could not identify any problems in their user bases. One security ISV close to Microsoft speculated that the problems may be traced back to the non-security changes made to the ActiveX controls in the IE cumulative patch [MS06-013] but he could not confirm that.

Microsoft did not comment on this story as of press time. As the software giant investigates the problem, however, some customers have taken Microsoft's initial advice or came up with their own workarounds.

On the TechNet Web site, for example, one user suggested simply renaming the "verclsid.exe" file to another name before installation to prevent problems.

Microsoft said the Verclsid.exe file in MS06-015 is used to verify a COM object before it is instantiated by Windows Explorer. The security patch is for Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003.

Yet another user suggested turning off all processes using the Windows Task Manager or the auto-update (AU) process altogether and wait a week before installing patches.

Microsoft disagreed with that solution and said it is important to re-install MS06-015 because it fixes a critical security vulnerability and pointed out that disabling Auto Update leaves computers unprotected.

One solution provider said he is following that advice but noted that some customers are thinking about shutting off Microsoft's Auto Update feature to prevent downloading security patches that disable their systems.

"We're recommending they leave AU enabled but they're understandably frustrated. For some customers this is the second time in the past year an update from Microsoft has left them unable to work," said Terabyte's Bergin. "Some have said they're done with auto updates and want it disabled to let others to beta test Microsoft fixes before they install them.

All these Microsoft patches are getting ridiculus to say the least !! When are these programmers going to get rid of (and I mean get rid of !!!) all the programming that have holes in and come up with something that works ??? NOT !!!!

Frank....

Guest mlpasley
......bad interaction between the security update and a software component included with various HP hardware devices, including but not limited to printers, scanners, and cameras,"

In many cases, the problem required users and partners to uninstall the patch or perform system restores to get systems back up and running.

OH NO! Guess I'd better clean off some room on my calendar. :)

The friend who always calls on me to help with unexplained computer problems has Windows automatic updates ON and an array of HP devices... camera, printer, scanner.......

How the heck do these 'patches' get by testing and quality control? (Nevermind. That's a rhetorical question. )

The funny side of things is, that we are a Microsoft Select customer, and we get all the software and licenses all at a fixed yearly price, and we can upgrade or downgrade any server, desktop etc at will.

They asked me last week why we have not upgraded the platform to FULL Server 2003, and my answer was

just what you have said Frank.

i can remember since the NT4 days the same issues, find a hole , make a patch, stop other parts of the server from working. then they say Ops we can fix that... then ops stopped something else.....

..(been like that from MS's first days in that market)

They are very slack on there service pack and hot fix releases.

All these Microsoft patches are getting ridiculus to say the least !! When are these programmers going to get rid of (and I mean get rid of !!!) all the programming that have holes in and come up with something that works ??? NOT !!!!

Frank....

This isn't the first time there's been a clash between Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard. I wonder what the management problem is ...?

Well, I only have my HP printer plugged in when I want to print, so maybe it'll be solved by then (doesn't affect my REAL computer, the Win98 SE).

Lynn

This is a clearer description, from the WALL STREET JOURNAL ©

Microsoft Security Update Introduces Glitch

By JESSICA E. VASCELLARO

April 18, 2006; Page D2

At least one in a batch of Microsoft security updates released last week is paralyzing some of the company's Office software and leaving users with a slew of system freezes when they attempt to save and open documents.

The glitch also rendered some users unable to access Web pages through Internet Explorer.

Microsoft Corp. declined to say how many people were affected by the problem, but said its scope appeared limited, and it didn't appear to affect corporate networks. The security bulletin was designed to fix several Internet Explorer security vulnerabilities.

The company found that on some computers, Hewlett-Packard Co.'s Share-to-Web software caused a file to stop responding. The software ships with certain H-P DeskJet printers, scanners and cameras.

To fix the problem, the company is directing users to modify the security update "white list." Directions on how to do so can be found through the Web site support.microsoft.com. In some instances, the company is sending those unable to fix the problem new Windows software in the mail.

I wonder if all these "patches" that are supposed to "Fix" a security hole are being made just to get everyone to upgrade to their new software ? Or is there still a conserted effort out there by "Others" to bring the big daddy Microsoft down. As I remember, that's kind of what happened to IBM back when it was "king of the Hill". Sometimes one really has to wonder what the individuals of Authority in Microsoft are thinking !!

Frank....(BTW...I have 2 HP printers and althought I don't use the programs in regards to "on-line" stuff that come with them, I haven't had any problems just doing my regular printing jobs).

Frank....

Archived