• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Mydvd 9 Menu Trouble

moviegeek71

Question

I have Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio Premier and am having a problem with the way that the background image for the main menu is displayed. The image that I used is 800x600; in the editing software, while making the project, it fits the screen. Also, the completed disc will display on my 20" widescreen PC monitor correctly, no matter what media player software I use the menu fits the monitor screen.

However, it will not fit the screen of either of my TV sets, the 4:3 CRT nor the 16:9 LCD; but if I put the DVD in any DVD player and on any TV then the menu does not fit the screen. I even tried it on an old 27" CRT and it doesn't work there either. If I put my 46" HDTV on 16:9, 4:3, zoom, etc. it does not fit the screen. I've tried everything, this main menu only looks right on my PC monitor and that's it.

The movie itself (which is 4:3) displays correctly on all of them, it's just this menu that doesn't look right.

What could be the cause of this?

Displayed correctly on a 20" 16:9 LCD PC monitor:

092808026jb6.jpg

Displayed wrong with menu words cut-off on a 27" 4:3 CRT, this is also how it looks on the 46" LCD HDTV:

092808027aw2.jpg

2 answers to this question

4:3 need a 5% 'safe zone' all round - CRTs are made from very thick (bullet-proof in fact) glass at the front and there is an area that can't be seen, so the overscan area was set to offset that.

In the old test cards, we always set the middle castellations just touching the edges as seen on the tube - the rest disappeared over the sides, so you have to actually cut your picture down slightly to get it to fit, but there is a setting for that in the options (I'm not on the 2009 machine atm so I can't be specific)

On the wide screen - that is a problem with 4:3 - you could try switching the TV to 'letterbox' format and see if that helps

On the wide screen - that is a problem with 4:3 - you could try switching the TV to 'letterbox' format and see if that helps
I've tried everything, it just won't fit on the TV. I did save the project, is there a way to resize/reset the background image or do I need to just make the picture smaller with a photo editer? Thanks.