Slideshow Limit?

malacca73

Question

I'm trying to create a simple slideshow with 752 images. They are broken into 9 different sets, the largest of which has 97 images. The chapters are manual advance. I am using 9.04 on a Macbook running 10.5.5.

I have been unable to create this slideshow, as Toast crashes before completing the encode (I am trying to save to a disc image first). Sometimes it crashes after a minute, sometimes it almost finishes, and once it hung at 99% complete.

I have tried saving the disc image to my main hard drive, I have tried saving it to an external drive with the files on my main drive. I have tried having the files on the FW drive and saving it there, and I have tried having the files on the FW drive and saving the disc image to my main hard drive.

I have tried including the original files (which should result in a 1.58GB disc), not including them, having menus for the slides, not having menus, changing the menu background, not changing the menu background. None of these has worked.

Any ideas? Is it just the fact that there are 752 images?

2 answers to this question

The specs for a DVD slide show are a maximum 99 slides per title and 99 titles per DVD, so you're within those limits.

When I've experienced Toast crashing when making a slide show I have needed to replace the image that was being encoded at the time of the crash. This means I've needed to export the image to a new copy which then worked okay. I can tell which image was the one that caused the problem by looking at the last image in the Roxio Converted Items folder. The one after that was the problem.

It may be, however, that you are experiencing a crash due to some other problem. If your photos are very high resolution then I recommend exporting them at a lower resolution (after all, the images in a DVD slide show are 640x480) and use those in Toast. I typically use the equivalent of a 3 megapixel image when I want to also include a folder of the source images. This greatly reduces the processing required by Toast.

The specs for a DVD slide show are a maximum 99 slides per title and 99 titles per DVD, so you're within those limits.

When I've experienced Toast crashing when making a slide show I have needed to replace the image that was being encoded at the time of the crash. This means I've needed to export the image to a new copy which then worked okay. I can tell which image was the one that caused the problem by looking at the last image in the Roxio Converted Items folder. The one after that was the problem.

It may be, however, that you are experiencing a crash due to some other problem. If your photos are very high resolution then I recommend exporting them at a lower resolution (after all, the images in a DVD slide show are 640x480) and use those in Toast. I typically use the equivalent of a 3 megapixel image when I want to also include a folder of the source images. This greatly reduces the processing required by Toast.

Hmm. It's not crashing at a specific image, so I don't think any of them are causing the problem. They are 6MP images, though. Maybe I should do a batch resize. That might be a good idea. I do want to include the 6MP images, though. I guess I could just add them as data using the Toast UDF Data adding method.

Thanks for your ideas. I'll try making my images smaller as you suggested.