Bad ISO file

malatekid

Question

I created a Videowave test project that consists of two panels and two background music. I tried to burn as an image file. And then to DVD disc. When I play DVD , the music is messed up (music abruptly comes up and abruptly disappears and comes back again).

I know it's not a problem with the panels or music as I tried previewing the project on VW, on MyDVD and even used Output to (mpeg-2 for DVD, best quality) and all turned up ok.

I checked the generated ISO file using the Disc Image Loader and it appears that the iso file is the culprit. My conclusion is that the problem is happening in the creation of the ISO file and not a case of bad items used in the project (e.g., panel, music).

I am getting frustrated as I have been playing around with this EMC8 version that I started using since last week to do a project that involves 16:9 video. Up to this day, I still couldn't even create a successful 3-minute DVD.

I used the Best quality in MyDVD and the project is "DVD, no menus". The music pieces I used in the background are a WMA and a WAV format files. Is there anything I need to tweak somewhere?

The problem doesn't happen if the project has a video file only on it--in my case, I used an AVI file.

Can anyone replicate the problem (just create a project that has only text panels and background music and then burn to an image file) and please let me know how it turns up. Any help or suggestion is appreciated

My system spec:

sysspec.jpg

24 answers to this question

I created a Videowave test project that consists of two panels and two background music. I tried to burn as an image file. And then to DVD disc. When I play DVD , the music is messed up (music abruptly comes up and abruptly disappears and comes back again).

I know it's not a problem with the panels or music as I tried previewing the project on VW, on MyDVD and even used Output to (mpeg-2 for DVD, best quality) and all turned up ok.

I checked the generated ISO file using the Disc Image Loader and it appears that the iso file is the culprit. My conclusion is that the problem is happening in the creation of the ISO file and not a case of bad items used in the project (e.g., panel, music).

I am getting frustrated as I have been playing around with this EMC8 version that I started using since last week to do a project that involves 16:9 video. Up to this day, I still couldn't even create a successful 3-minute DVD.

I used the Best quality in MyDVD and the project is "DVD, no menus". The music pieces I used in the background are a WMA and a WAV format files. Is there anything I need to tweak somewhere?

The problem doesn't happen if the project has a video file only on it--in my case, I used an AVI file.

Can anyone replicate the problem (just create a project that has only text panels and background music and then burn to an image file) and please let me know how it turns up. Any help or suggestion is appreciated

My system spec:

sysspec.jpg

Anyone who has suggestion on what to look for or to try something else?

Thanks.

Sorry I didn't have your post in front of me when I answered your pm I meant wma or wav. Sorry :)

I just found the other thread and actually, it was reverse to your audio, so it probably has nothing to do with your situation. I am attaching the thread I was talking about, you might just try putting your audio into sound editor and see if it is compatible. As I said in my pm this may have nothing to do with your problem but sometimes it is worth a shot to make sure. I hope you find a solution. I didn't respond to your post originally because I didn't really think I had an answer for you. Hopefully someone else will see this and chime in. :huh:

Try this, I'm not sure it will do anything but it might. Open Sound Editor, add that mp3 file, and then export the clip as a wav file. That might make the clip compatible with this program; although it should already be compatible. If it will not open in Sound Editor, there is something in that mp3 that EMC 8 doesn't like. You could use another program to convert it to a wav file (WMP, GoldWave, Audacity.) if Sound Editor doesn't work. Let us know if this does anything.

Also, just checking. You did not add that audio to an internal track did you?

So that we can all be on the same page, Jess sent me his files to play with and I was not able to use is VW or MyDVD files without Graph Notify errors (an error he's not had) but I was able to use his ISO file and burn to disc without any problems.

When previewing the file in Disc Copier, the music did not play evenly. It started and stopped at what appeared to be regular intervals. The final burn did not have this problem. Since I wasn't able to use his DMSM files, I really couldn't work on his project other than to burn the ISO to disc.

He also told me that when burning he noticed that DC stated "Starting background format" and "Stopping background format" which it did not do for me and we both used RW discs.

I don't feel that the Graph Notify errors I had were anything to do Jess' files but something I need to look at my system for. At this point, I'm not sure what his problems are.

Good news everyone! I uninstalled and reinstalled EMC8 (Suite and Content) as well as uninstalled my two burners and reinstalled them. Guess what? The problems playing back the ISO file and burning it disappeared. So I'm good now.

One note: I also cleaned up the TEMP file which had the Discopier8.log.

Thanks to all of you who tried out my project (Paul), to those who provided suggestions and words of encouragement (Patty, GrandpaBruce) and those who provided feedback (Steve and Terry). May your tribe continue to grow!

Jess :)

Sorry I didn't have your post in front of me when I answered your pm I meant wma or wav. Sorry :)

I just found the other thread and actually, it was reverse to your audio, so it probably has nothing to do with your situation. I am attaching the thread I was talking about, you might just try putting your audio into sound editor and see if it is compatible. As I said in my pm this may have nothing to do with your problem but sometimes it is worth a shot to make sure. I hope you find a solution. I didn't respond to your post originally because I didn't really think I had an answer for you. Hopefully someone else will see this and chime in. :huh:

Try this, I'm not sure it will do anything but it might. Open Sound Editor, add that mp3 file, and then export the clip as a wav file. That might make the clip compatible with this program; although it should already be compatible. If it will not open in Sound Editor, there is something in that mp3 that EMC 8 doesn't like. You could use another program to convert it to a wav file (WMP, GoldWave, Audacity.) if Sound Editor doesn't work. Let us know if this does anything.

Also, just checking. You did not add that audio to an internal track did you?

I am attaching the thread I was talking about, you might just try putting your audio into sound editor and see if it is compatible.

A: I'm not sure if you meant to have a link to the thread you mentioned as I didn't see one.

Actually it is a wav file. I opened the EMC8 Sound Editor and played it there. It plays ok there. But I will try to convert to mp3 and see if that works. That wav file actually came from an audio extracted using the Sound Editor in EMC7.5.

You did not add that audio to an internal track did you?

A: In the first attempt, that's what I did. I put each audio in the internal track of each text panel. Same error came up.

I'll keep you posted with any development.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely try them tonight!

Jess

I am attaching the thread I was talking about, you might just try putting your audio into sound editor and see if it is compatible.

A: I'm not sure if you meant to have a link to the thread you mentioned as I didn't see one.

Actually it is a wav file. I opened the EMC8 Sound Editor and played it there. It plays ok there. But I will try to convert to mp3 and see if that works. That wav file actually came from an audio extracted using the Sound Editor in EMC7.5.

You did not add that audio to an internal track did you?

A: In the first attempt, that's what I did. I put each audio in the internal track of each text panel. Same error came up.

I'll keep you posted with any development.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely try them tonight!

Jess

Jess,

No I didn't include a url for the thread. I knew that some parts of the thread had nothing to do with your problem like the internal track...........this was a thread under photo, I will get the url and be right back.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4513

Jess,

No I didn't include a url for the thread. I knew that some parts of the thread had nothing to do with your problem like the internal track...........this was a thread under photo, I will get the url and be right back.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4513

Patty,

I will try re-converting my wav file using EMC8 SoundEditor to either an mp3 or wav file and see if that works (even though the existing wav file plays back good in the EMC8 Sound Editor as well as in WM player.).

Patty,

I will try re-converting my wav file using EMC8 SoundEditor to either an mp3 or wav file and see if that works (even though the existing wav file plays back good in the EMC8 Sound Editor as well as in WM player.).

The common thing I recognized here between the thread you mentioned and my case is that there's a problem with sound if that sound file is attached (--production wise or internal track--I don't know how to describe it) to still images like color panels or pictures.

Congratulations, Jess. I am glad that there is some success to your quest.

Thank you. It didn't work the first time I uninstalled/reinstalled EMC8 the other night. I did uninstall and reinstall again last night and cleaned up the TEMP directory as well (including the Discopier8.log file). Then the miracle happened.

Jess

I'm really confused with your post. I understand that you have made an iso file and burned it to disc. When you played that disc, you had music start, stop and restart. You also said that you originally added the music to the internal track; that suggests that you later added music to the normal track. Did you go back and remove the music from the internal track? Is it possible that you may have also added music to one of the other internal tracks ? Something like the sound effects of narration tracks ? In video wave storyline view, look toward the bottom, you will see icons for some of the music in "other" tracks. You'll have to look at the images for each of the images and for the video for all the internal audio tracks. Make sure you you have them all showing. You might be to locate them by clicking on the little speaker (or other icon) shown in the location on this image. Look just above the roxio sign near the bottom. This shows a music file added to the native track. If you have more, then you may have some hidden tracks.

Did you find any?

Another possibility that came up with V7. Sometimes, but not always, the proxy files for the project do not pick up that something has been deleted/added and a ghost music file will show up in the production. With your project open after you have checked for and deleted any music you don't want, select tools/options/ and delete the proxy files. They will be deleted and will be almost immediately be rebuilt. Give it a few minutes. Activity on you hard drive will slow down or stop. Now try making that iso file and copying it to a RW disc. Did it work this time?

My system spec:

sysspec.jpg

So that we can all be on the same page, Jess sent me his files to play with and I was not able to use is VW or MyDVD files without Graph Notify errors (an error he's not had) but I was able to use his ISO file and burn to disc without any problems.

When previewing the file in Disc Copier, the music did not play evenly. It started and stopped at what appeared to be regular intervals. The final burn did not have this problem. Since I wasn't able to use his DMSM files, I really couldn't work on his project other than to burn the ISO to disc.

He also told me that when burning he noticed that DC stated "Starting background format" and "Stopping background format" which it did not do for me and we both used RW discs.

I don't feel that the Graph Notify errors I had were anything to do Jess' files but something I need to look at my system for. At this point, I'm not sure what his problems are.

I got a PM from him and tried to reply but it said he was blocked or full.What I tried to tell him was that you guys are way better at video then I am so go with what you were telling him.

Good luck trying to figure it out Paul.

I got a PM from him and tried to reply but it said he was blocked or full.What I tried to tell him was that you guys are way better at video then I am so go with what you were telling him.

Actually, I don't feel very secure with video work and have learned more from many other people here but, the ISO problem is what I'm stuck with. He seems to be up to date on all his drivers so I'm not sure what the problems are.

Sorry, I should have cleaned up my Message box (inbox+sent) before I retired last night. I had 21 messages and the Board only allows a max of 20 in total (incoming+sent). I was having back and forth discussion with Paul (pcostanza) last night. Paul, am really appreciate your effort and time spent looking at my issue.

Jess

I'm really confused with your post. I understand that you have made an iso file and burned it to disc. When you played that disc, you had music start, stop and restart. You also said that you originally added the music to the internal track; that suggests that you later added music to the normal track. Did you go back and remove the music from the internal track? Is it possible that you may have also added music to one of the other internal tracks ? Something like the sound effects of narration tracks ? In video wave storyline view, look toward the bottom, you will see icons for some of the music in "other" tracks. You'll have to look at the images for each of the images and for the video for all the internal audio tracks. Make sure you you have them all showing. You might be to locate them by clicking on the little speaker (or other icon) shown in the location on this image. Look just above the roxio sign near the bottom. This shows a music file added to the native track. If you have more, then you may have some hidden tracks.

Did you find any?

Another possibility that came up with V7. Sometimes, but not always, the proxy files for the project do not pick up that something has been deleted/added and a ghost music file will show up in the production. With your project open after you have checked for and deleted any music you don't want, select tools/options/ and delete the proxy files. They will be deleted and will be almost immediately be rebuilt. Give it a few minutes. Activity on you hard drive will slow down or stop. Now try making that iso file and copying it to a RW disc. Did it work this time?

Steve,

I'm sure you already read Paul's description of the problem.

I'm sure I only have audio in the music track; there are no other audio icons elsewhere. Also, Paul was able to burn the iso file and he said it came out ok.

Yes, I deleted the proxy files. No, the problem is still there when copied to RW disc.

Thanks,

Jess

Hi Paul,

Since the dmsm file I gave you does not work in your system, I guess the closest thing to recreate what I did (dmsm, dmsd) is maybe create a new VW and follow closely the steps I did to make those dmsm and dmsd files.

DMSM

1) I opened a new VW project, mode is set to Software and 16:9 mode (I'm not in front of the PC that has the EMC8 so I'm not sure about the mode).

2) I inserted a white panel, select a text effect (black only-I don't remember) with Fly effect and Still for the starting and ending path motion. I selected an arbitrary duration (maybe 8 seconds to coincide with the duration of the music I put in the music track for this panel-the wma file).

3) Then I added a second white panel with just a regular non-moving text. Duration is arbitrary (I think I set it to 90 seconds) and put a music in the music track for this one (the wav file).

4) I put a Dissolve transition in between these two panels.

5) Save the project (I saved as test.dmsm)

6) The project plays back ok.

DMSD

1) Open a new project -DVD, no menus

2) Project settings - I unselect the "Fit to disc" and just selected Best. If there's a selection for 16:9, I may have selected that too.

3) Add a title - in this case the test.dmsm

4) save project as test.dmsd.

5) Preview came out ok with me

5) Do the burn to image file - I called it test.iso

Finally, burn the test.iso to disc

I hope I did not miss any step that I did.

Maybe the other gurus and memebrs could try the same steps above and let us know the results.

I have this DVD project (a school play) that I would like to use EMC 8 as I recorded the play in 16:9 aspect ratio. The professional videographer did not do a good job, per the director of the play. She approached me if I could make DVD out of the private recording I made (my son was in the school play) which I happily obliged to. Then this issue I have with EMC8 when I started doing the play's credit.

I thank everyone who provided suggestions and alternatives to date. You're all awesome and cool!

Jess

Jess, I can't even do that now since I'm getting error messages when opening MyDVD and VW that I think may be related to something I installed recently (but don't know what it is).

It will take me some time to figure out the errors I'm getting before I can try this out. It appears to me you did nothing wrong.

Jess, I can't even do that now since I'm getting error messages when opening MyDVD and VW that I think may be related to something I installed recently (but don't know what it is).

It will take me some time to figure out the errors I'm getting before I can try this out. It appears to me you did nothing wrong.

Paul,

I hope you're able to fix your machine soon.

Good luck!

Jess

Archived